MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Low-Carb Diet Is Permanent Weight Loss Solution


Fitness expert Mark McManus heralding healthy low-carb principles

The idea of finding that perfect nutritional approach (which is a nice way of saying "diet") that works for you is arguably the most difficult thing an overweight or obese person will ever have to come to grips with if they ever hope to find a permanent way to lose weight and get healthy. Ever since I blogged about my long-term weight loss success on the Atkins diet last month, I have not been able to get this undeniable truth out of my head.

Of course, there have been a couple of validations for my point of view regarding livin' la vida low-carb's role in bringing about permanent and lasting weight loss. The first one is this column on Helium.com by a woman named Kimberly Townes. In an op-ed about struggling with weight, she so perfectly illustrates why most people are unable to get their obesity under control.

What's her premise? They're OBSESSED with food! Sound familiar?

Describing her weight struggles through college and graduation, Townes admits that she tried EVERYTHING, including laxatives, fad diets, Ephedra, and the like until she "started a weight loss plan that I have kept up with for the last few years." Was it low-fat? Nope! How about calorie-conscious? Not hardly!

Can you believe it was Atkins?! Yep, she said the Atkins diet!!!

"I was finally able to release myself from my fear of food, eat whole and healthy and let go of dangerous weightless drugs," Townes proudly wrote. "By following a regimen of high protein and vegetables and limiting my carbohydrate intake I have been able to maintain a healthy balanced lifestyle."

WOW!!! That's incredible that someone would so willingly publish their success on a low-carb diet and I want to publicly applaud Kimberly Townes for spreading the positive message of livin' la vida low-carb. YOU GO GIRL!

"I still falter from time to time, but I am able to go back to basics and remember what works for my body," Townes concluded.

Amen, Kimberly! You hit the nail on the head, my friend, because most people simply skip past the basics (avoid sugar, remove white flour and processed foods from your menu, skip the junk food and fast food, eat whole low-glycemic foods, etc.) and have no concept of what REALLY works for them because they convince themselves that they MUST eat a low-fat diet because it is the ONLY healthy way to eat. NOT!

That's one reason I was SO glad to see my bodybuilding blogging buddy and regular reader here at my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog Mark McManus write in his "Build Your Life To Order" blog one of the best columns about permanent weight loss I have ever seen. CLICK HERE to read this excellent column for yourself.

Here are the highlights of Mark's post:

- Calories aren't the total picture with weight loss.
- Permanent weight loss takes a plan that keeps you satisfied.
- Getting back to the diet of our ancestors is critical.
- High-protein, high-fat, low-carb approach is far superior.
- Getting and maintaining the metabolic edge is key.
- Ketosis is an important factor in fat-burning.

Mark was even nice enough to include this analogy I featured at my blog about the difference between a carb-fueled diet and a fat-fueled one. I'm so glad people are starting to better understand how and why livin' la vida low-carb works as well as it does to help people lose weight.

More importantly, though, both Kimberly and Mark have hit on something that is completely missing in discussions about the low-carb diet in 2007--it is beyond a shadow of a doubt a permanent weight loss solution that is changing the lives of those who commit to it and make it their permanent lifestyle change. That's exactly how I have lost nearly 200 pounds on it and kept it off ever since!

Sadly, our society is so deeply rooted in sending mixed messages about diet that the general overweight and obese public just doesn't care anymore because they're too frustrated to do ANYTHING. This is a sad place to be in, but it's where we are.

When are we going to see low-carb being actively promoted at the long-term, permanent weight loss solution that it is? How many more years will people be fooled into cutting their fat and calories while their weight problem keeps getting worse and worse?! WAKE UP, AMERICA!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark McManus said...

Jimmy, this is great! Thanks for sharing my article with your readers. I hope some people will finally see the many benefits of a low-carb approach and make the change. Your blog is one of the best resources there is on the subject, so keep up the good work.

Mark McManus

4/06/2007 1:50 AM  
Blogger TESS said...

I think to many people will have to admit they were wrong for low carb to gain the recognition it should. in addition to that, if it became widly known and more people found they could lose weight the the purveyors of processed food would see a decrease in there profits, so it is going to take time, word of mouth and people like you jimmy to make the change happen. as usual a very good post.

4/06/2007 6:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jimmy---Tess hit the nail on the head---it boils down to the money thing---big business loses----if people lose weight---
I mean just look at how much money would be lost by the diet industry alone---not to mention food companies----drug companies--
Jimmy---you and others like you are what is gonna finally---hopefully bring about the change---

4/06/2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Amy Dungan said...

Ditto to what bamagal and Tess said. I semi ranted about this on my blog today. I'm so sick of "experts" that don't get it. It's time for a Low-Carb Revolution! :0)

4/06/2007 8:21 PM  
Blogger Kevin M. said...

Another intelligent voice discovers low-carb!

4/06/2007 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home