MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, May 06, 2007

From Nearly Dying In A Coma To The Atkins Diet, Woman Now In 'Excellent Health'

As important as the studies, research, and hard evidence behind livin' la vida low-carb are, I am convinced that real-life stories of people who have overcome weight and health problems can be a much more powerful tool for helping others with similar issues. Especially in what has become a hostile environment about the low-carb diet over the past few years, these kind of positive anecdotal examples are increasingly becoming more important.

That's one explanation for why my blog has continued to grow in readership every quarter since I started it in April 2005. People see me as a former 400-pound man who lost nearly 200 pounds as an inspiration that shows them they can do it, too. There are lots of people living their low-carb life who have overcome some truly incredible health obstacles.

One such example is the following e-mail I received from a woman who has chosen the Atkins nutritional approach. It's the most unbelievable and riveting story I've ever seen of what one woman was able to overcome thanks to livin' la vida low-carb. Prepare to be encouraged and inspired like nothing you have come across before.

Here's the e-mail from my remarkable reader:

Hi Jimmy,

I read your blog every day and I'm amazed by your commitment and strength. I want to tell you my story. If you think it will help others, then please, share my story with them.

Seven years ago, I had intestinal surgery. The surgery went fine, but the day before I was to be released from the hospital, I fell into a coma due to a staph infection in the surgical incision. I stopped breathing, my kidneys failed, the wound was left to heal (if I lived) from the inside out and Mom was planning my funeral.

Well, I lived. But I came out of that hospital a train wreck. I was already diabetic from repeated gall bladder attacks that hadn't been properly treated (can we say "Managed Care"?). I needed dialysis, I had a colonoscopy (later repaired) and could barely walk.

Fortunately, I received a kidney transplant (living donor) six months later. But after the transplant I was put on Prednisone and gained 50 pounds in two months. I'm only 5'3" and going from 120 pounds to, eventually, 180 pounds was horrifying. I've had a weight problem all my life, but it had been under control.

After a year, one of my legion of doctors intimidated the Prednisone-prescribing doctor to take me off it. Then I had hope of loosing the the weight. I was doing everything I possibly could to regain my health, so I dieted using the low-fat, low-calorie model that was recommended by just about everyone.

After nine months, I'd only lost 15 pounds and I was frustrated and HUNGRY. There had to be another way.

Pretty soon, I found the Atkins diet. The problem was that everyone knew that if you did Atkins, your kidneys would fall out. Did I dare take the risk?

OK, I did. But it was, like, my dirty little secret. Can't you just hear what people would have said, knowing about my kidney transplant, if they knew what I was doing? The only thing I had to support me was that my monthly blood tests that monitor my transplant were improving.

Now, I'm six plus years out from the transplant, I'm in excellent health and Atkins is my way of life. My lipids and blood glucose numbers are great, I'm back to my healthy weight of 120 and, while I'm in my mid-fifties, I have lots more energy than many of the people around me.

I'm completely convinced that Atkins is a very healthy way to eat and, what's more, so are my doctors. They've witnessed that dramatic improvement in my health and all of them encourage me to keep doing what I'm doing.

I'm sending this e-mail to you because of your compassion for people who want better health. I hope that someone will see this and realize that no matter how desperate their situation may be, they shouldn't be afraid of trying this way of life or, for that matter, whatever way of life they think could benefit them.

Thanks for everything you do, Jimmy, and for being a shining example of the human spirit.


All I can say is WOW! That's an awesome story that I sincerely hope will give hope to those who feel they are hopeless. This shows me that no matter where you are in your life, it's never too late to start livin' la vida low-carb for your health. It saved this woman's life and mine, too!

How about you? Do you have a compelling low-carb story you'd like to share? E-mail it to me at livinlowcarbman@charter.net.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger OnlineChristian said...

Keep on keeping on with all the great work!! You sure help lots of folks sharing all this great low carb info!

Had I known you were in Nashville I might have made a Bee-Line to stop by and at least shake your hand! But I was buried in work projects and didn't figure out you were there until you were already returned home.

Argh!

5/06/2007 11:37 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Sorry about that, OnlineChristian! My high school friend took us out to Dave's BBQ on Hermitage for supper on Friday night. Man, that was some GREAT low-carb food. Maybe I can give more of a heads-up next time I'm in town. Don't work too hard, buddy! SEE YA!

5/06/2007 11:40 PM  
Blogger trulylowcarb said...

I am so happy to read this woman's story. I "converted" a few doctors in my day, but this kind of bravery is just astounding. I am so thankful that she shared her story with you, and that you then shared it with us. THANK YOU JIMMY!!! and Bless You always, Nameless Success Story.

5/08/2007 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home