MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, May 05, 2007

What A Day For Tons Of Low-Carb Research

After a long weekend full of activities in Nashville, Tennessee for the 2007 Eastern Regional Obesity Course and Nutrition & Metabolism Society Seminar presented by the American Society Of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP), I am finally back at home sweet home in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Ahhhhhh, it feels good to be back although I was privileged to speak with and learn from so many bariatric physicians and low-carb research experts.

Although I conducted eight interviews with various people on Friday, I was only able to do one more today because the schedule was so jam-packed with presentations on the latest low-carb research from people like Dr. Eric Westman, Dr. Mary Vernon, Dr. Jeff Volek, Dr. Stephen Phinney, and Dr. Richard Feinman. We had to cut out a little early to make it home at a reasonable hour.

I was thrilled to see several other people of interest these past few days: Jackie Eberstein who worked with Dr. Robert C. Atkins for three decades, Laura Dolson from About.com's Low-Carb Diets page, and Collette Heimowitz from Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.

As I was listening to the various presentations about the veracity of livin' la vida low-carb today, the future blog post ideas were popping into my head so fast that I could barely write them all down. But I will attempt to take these and project to you what I have learned based on the knowledge shared in these fantastic seminars from today. If you are a proponent of the low-carb nutritional approach, then take heart...the science is there for all the world to see.

Special thanks to Dr. Mary C. Vernon and Sharon Cooper for coordinating many of the interviews for my podcast show. I look forward to sharing these with you over the next few months likely as a regular feature on Thursdays. There were a wide variety of voices that I'm sure you'll enjoy hearing from, so be sure to check 'em out!

Since I was in Nashville, I decided to look up my high school friend Laura Creekmore who has that fantastic blog called Fixin' Supper. We went out to a nice BBQ place off of Hermitage Road in Nashville and enjoyed catching up on lost time. My wife Christine and I were enamored by Laura's two adorable kids and were glad to be able to see her while we were in town.

Also, I recently blogged about one of my weight loss inspirations being a radio talk show host who held a weight loss contest three years ago named Ralph Bristol. Well, Ralph recently moved from South Carolina to Nashville, Tennessee to become the featured morning host of "Nashville's Morning News" on SuperTalk 99.7FM WWTN. His show is a lot different from the one he did here, but it was neat to hear him on the radio again. I even called up and gave my opinion about something he was talking about on Friday morning.

It's time to hit the sack now (that's going to bed for those of you who don't read Southern!) because I'm just plain TARD! No, not ritard, although Christine has been known to call me that from time to time. The body is slowly getting delirious, so I had better stop typing before I go off saying something REALLY weird. Goodnight John boy! We'll be low-carb blogging again in no time. SEE YA!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

Thanks for the picture and the Atkins coupons and my winning the carb counter. I ate the three Atkins bars in one sitting in the car right after I got them. They were good and this was the first sweet thing I had tasted in over six months. Probably knocked me out of Ketosis. Oh well. I'm broiling steaks ten and twelve at a time for my lunches while I'm driving truck during the seeding for the farms locally. Red River Valley. Huge business up here. Sugar Beets and potatoes and lots of wheat and corn and hay. Zillions of corn this year for the ethonol. The world starves and we burn food for gas. Were rained out today otherwise its sixteen and eighteen hours a day, seven days a week for these few short weeks getting everything in the ground and fertilized. Sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar. Wheat, corn, potatoes and hay for dairy(sugar), it's unbelivable what's happening. You do great work bringing all this stuff together. The entire United States is addicted to sugar/carbs. as is most of the rest of the world. The Psychological/mind effects are even more dramatic than the effects on our bodies. To a thinking man this is said.

5/05/2007 11:58 PM  
Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

Hey Jimmy, I got some, what I believe to be valuable input in the sugar/carb delemma we are all facing, and some specific input to you and your position in all this.

One--this seven walls, nine feet thick and twenty feet high each, that you have built around you in the form of exposure and accountability with your books and web sites and blogs--puts you in a different position than the rest of us. Like Ophra Winfrey surviving her abuse as a child and the fortress she has built. Without this, who knows, she might well have ended up as a depressed homeless fat as a pig deranged person living on the street. Most of us don't have this huge support. Not to say we are that bad off or that yours is no good. I'm just discussing yours vs ours perspectives here.

The second point I want to make is regarding the "all forms of sugar issue". Few want to even consider this. You have it but you don't work it very hard. It's all the modern hybrid sugar were talking about here that we all call carbs.

This thing is big and I think that even you will be able to see it more clearly if you could see caffeine and sweeteners as major contributers in all this. Wheat and rice and tea go way way back in this.

This whole thing confuses me at times. I just stumbled on to all this when I set out to cure my sugar addiction. I had no idea that carbs were sugar, I already knew that caffeine was a stimulant drug with profound effects on the human race. Now it's sugar and carbs in addition to caffeine that has destroyed us.

Look at where we have come from and went in this last one hundred years--not to mention five hundred years and ten thousand years if we look at it.

Stimulants.

So were talking about the drugs sugar, caffeine and carbs and there substitutes and the effects of these stimulant drugs on our Psyche and mind as well as our bodies.

Please don't just blow past this protecting your caffeine/sweetener addiction. These addictions to these stimulants are having a profound effect on you as well as everybody else that is consuming both the origional as well as the newer forms of these two drugs. Thanks, Tom

5/06/2007 8:29 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

As always, Tom, I appreciate your lucid and well-reasoned opinions. You'll be pleased to know there was one bariatric doctor I interviewed on Friday who doesn't necessarily teach his patients about carb-counting, but something that dovetails into what you are saying about sugar.

Here's what he does:

Since a packet of sugar is a more tangible thing for people to visualize and has about 5g carbs in it, this doctor gives sugar packet equivalents for the foods his patients consume.

It's quite a visual and reminds them that all carbs consumed eventually turn to sugar inside the body.

Just to play a little devil's advocate with you, Tom (*wink*), what exactly am I eating or drinking that has caffeine in it? Diet Rite is my preferred diet soda and it is caffeine-free.

As for artificial sweeteners, I'm guilty as charged but don't see it in the same vein as you do. Splenda has been a godsend to me and others who have been able to safely use it to help us overcome our sugar addiction for good.

There's no doubt in my mind I would not have lost nearly 200 pounds and kept it off without the use of sugar alternatives. Although we disagree on this point, I always welcome your opinions anytime.

Take care, Tom!

5/06/2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

Chocolate.

and Thank You very much, you do great work.

Best to you, Tom

5/06/2007 9:21 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Well, I'm not giving up chocolate, Tom. What about the health benefits associated with eating chocolate? Is it better to abstain from eating it just because it has caffeine in it than to reap the rewards that come from eating it?

5/06/2007 2:33 PM  
Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

Sorry Jimmy but the chocolate tip of an iceberg is a tip of an iceberg as great as any there is. In fact, caffeine is as great an iceberg as the sugar/carb iceberg and in fact even less known and less discussed and less dealt with than both the sugar and carbohydrates icebergs combined. Tea and coffee and Chocolate are all three seen as in-obnoxious substances that are good for you and will even help you to live longer, healthier, more productive lives and even help you along in your daily tasks and chores. Not to mention just to simply brighten and enhance and stimulate your day. "A day without Sunshine" is how my grandfather would say a day without coffee or tea would be. Will you feed chocolate to your newborn babies? The answer is yes, everybody feeds caffeine to there newborn babies and small children. Again chocolate is seen as an in-obnoxious substance, a good thing--for our health and well being, chock full of nutrients and vitamines and minerals and antitoxidents, why it's almost a vitamin, a good thing, almost a godsend. Thanks for having the guts to tackle this one Jimmy.

The Kingdoms and Dynasties throughout the world also loved this substance. "Coffee Coca" I call it when we mix coffee and cream and sugar, heavy on all three, delightful. I was doing this fifty years ago, as was everybody else. Pure heaven. Now they call it Starbucks and Mocha and Cappuccino and other names and we flock like geese to there doors and lay our money down so we can get some.

Now at first glance, Kingdoms and Dynasties, what's wrong with that?

Nothing if power and greed and more more more and armies armies armies and kill kill kill and take take take are to be part of our daily lives.

Superiority and all knowing---a trademark of stimulants since the beginning of time.

Hitler and Amphetamine for one, OJ and Amphetamine and Cocaine for two.

Sugar, Carbohydrates, Caffeine, Amphetamine and Cocaine are all stimulate drugs that enhance our well beings and our thought processes. Tom

5/06/2007 6:38 PM  
Blogger lcreekmo said...

Jimmy,
Thanks for the link. We REALLY had a great time at dinner and it was wonderful to meet Christine.

5/08/2007 9:54 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

It was a LOT of fun seeing you again, Laura! Your two adorable munchkins are the spittin' image of their amazing mom inside and out. :)

Stay in touch, Laura, and keep up the great work at your blog. SEE YA!

5/08/2007 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home