MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Vegetarian Heidi Swanson Has An Excellent Low-Carb Cooking Idea


A new and innovative way to use eggs in your low-carb lifestyle

With props to my regular reader Gary (see, you REALLY do need to get your own blog, man! *wink*), here is one of the most creative low-carb ideas I've seen in a long time from a woman named Heidi Swanson at her web site called 101 Cookbooks.

It's a recipe for what she describes as "Skinny Omelettes" and this is so cool! You're gonna love this unique idea.


Heidi Swanson uses her artistic abilities in a variety of ways

First, let me tell you a bit about Swanson. She lives in San Francisco, California and is a very talented photographer, designer, and cookbook author, including her outstanding 2007 release entitled Super Natural Cooking: Five Ways To Incorporate Whole and Natural Ingredients into Your Cooking. She has been privileged enough to be featured in a diverse number of media outlets, including The Wall Street Journal, LIFE, USA Today, Shape Magazine, Glamour, Entertainment Weekly, The Washington Post, The San Francisco Chronicle, Whole Foods Markets, National Public Radio, and even the Vegetarian Times.


If you enjoy recipes using only whole foods, then this book is for you

Even as a well-known and respected vegetarian supporter, I was quite impressed by this "Skinny Omelettes" idea. Swanson describes traditional omelettes as not "very exciting." But as a low-carber, I can think of no better way to enjoy a quick, high-protein meal that's delicious and will satisfy my hunger for hours!

Of course, I love cooking my eggs in the microwave, too when I don't feel like pulling out a skillet. Eggs are about as cheap a low-carb food as you'll ever find and studies have found they help you eat less calories throughout the day when you start your day off with them. Why isn't EVERYBODY eating eggs?

Perhaps you're bored with the way you've been making eggs. Why not try Heidi Swanson's "Skinny Omelettes" and see if that sparks some fresh ideas for you in the kitchen. I'm all for finding new ways to make livin' la vida low-carb even better. Well here ya go!

You can e-mail your appreciation to Heidi Swanson for this fantastic cooking idea at heidi@heidiswanson.com.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

Here is my favorite receipe.

Buy some steak, three or four or five pounds to start with and then twenty or thirty pounds at a time after you learn how to do this. I usually buy chuck because it's cheap and has a lot of fat. Pot Roasts work the same. I like the fat and I like the price. It's usually $2.59 a pound on sale around here. Any kind of steak or roast works the same way. Round, Sirloin, Arm, Chuck, Rib Eye, New York, Tenderloin, you name it!

Beef or Pork or Lamb or Venison or any other kind of meat will all work the same(great)!

Now pan fry or broil or grill or bake or even boil your steaks or roasts until they are all the way done. You can even burn them a little if you so choose. You can cook them hard and fast or long and slow. Your choice.

No seasonings, nothing, no salt no pepper, nothing. Just the steaks cooked until they are well done. Now remove from them from the heat and cool at room temperature for a few hours and then you can refrigerate them for a few hours more and then freeze them in gallon zip lock freezer bags. I use the double zip.

Freezing them in gallon bags is one of the keys here!(they give you a lot of room to work with)(both in the thawing and the freezing)(and in the using) They cost about the same as quart bags.(about eight cents to ten cents each). I pay something like $12.50 for a case of 136 bags I think.

This is not a rich mans diet, you can be rich or poor. It costs me about $150 a month to eat this way, when I'm a little flusher I can spend twice that or more if I want too.(I cook chicken thighs or legs or breasts the same way) If your living under a bridge or something just cook and use this one or two meals at a time.

Four pounds of steak usually cooks down to about something like three pounds.

Now whenever you have to take a lunch with you or if you want to eat later on while shopping or whatever. Even at home, just take a gallon pack or two with you. If you want it to stay cold for a long time use a lunch bag or cooler or lunch pail with those freezer bags of artificial ice to keep them cold for a long time. This works great if you are flying somewhere or traveling somewhere. If you want to eat a lot sooner than that just take them out of the bag and they will be ready to eat in an hour or so.

Just like they are and I like to eat them with my fingers. Tastes great. Chewy as hell and a bit tough sometimes but great eating.

That's it, you can throw a couple of pickles is a zip lock and a few boiled eggs in another zip lock if you want to. Add a gallon jug of fresh water to this and you are set for the day, even a long day and even two days or more if you are doing a lot.

Steaks taste great cold and they are really filling and satisfying. I recently lived on this for twenty days straight, eighteen hour work days with no time to cook or eat except on the job. It works great. Sometimes at home when I know I'm going to need to eat and I don't feel like cooking I take some out of the freezer, the same when I go shopping locally. I take some along with me.

It don't get no better than this and it don't get no easier than this.

6/21/2007 10:51 AM  
Blogger Mariah said...

hi Jimmy! that Skinny Omelette looks good!! I will definitely have to try that!! Thanks for sharing the awesome things you come across! :)

6/21/2007 11:29 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS, Mariah! That's why I'm here. :)

6/21/2007 11:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jimmy, I'm so glad if I can help you with items of interest that you may have missed. I'm flattered that you think I should have my own blog, but I think you do such a great job for lowcarbers, a blog from me would be superfluous. More to the point, I must keep focused on my business right now. I already have too many excuses for periodically avoiding all the difficult task at hand.

6/21/2007 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home