MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A 3-Ingredient Low-Carb Lemon Icebox Pie


My, my, my, that low-carb lemon icebox pie looks so good!

I grew up in the South and there are certain foods you just grow accustomed to down here. Unfortunately, many of them are especially high in carbs because they are fried with a breading of some sort on them, sugary in those rich desserts this region of the country is famous for, or starchy with potatoes comprising much of the vegetable consumption of Southern folks.

Thankfully when I started livin' la vida low-carb, I found excellent low-carb alternatives to old favorites like fried chicken, cheese grits, cheddar cheese biscuits, and many other dishes we love and adore in the South.

Now my friend and fellow author Judy Barnes Baker, whose CARB WARS: Sugar Is The New Fat cookbook has taken off over the past few weeks, has shared with me her quick and easy way to make another Southern classic the low-carb way--LEMON ICEBOX PIE!!! Mmm!

I can remember having church potlucks with every kind of pie imaginable, but this was one of my favorites. It seems it was one of Judy's favorites too!

"My mother used to make a lemon icebox pie that had just three ingredients plus a graham cracker crust: sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and egg yolks," she recalled. "It seemed like magic when the acid in the lemon juice made the egg yolks set up."

Now, to make it low-carb compatible and convenient, Judy created a "super-easy version for the time-challenged" with a recipe virtually ANYONE can make.

"You don't even have to measure anything, just open the containers and combine," she exclaimed. "You can leave out the lemon zest if that's too much cooking for you!"

THANK YOU Judy Barnes Baker for sharing your recipe with us!

3-INGREDIENT LOW-CARB LEMON ICEBOX PIE

16 ounces whipped cream cheese
8 ounces plain yogurt, Greek style with live cultures
3 packets of Crystal Light® On the Go powdered lemonade mix
or your favorite sugar-free lemonade mix to make 6 cups
(Optional) 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest


Beat all ingredients together. Pour into cooled Almond Pie Crust (SEE BELOW). Refrigerate until set. Top with sugar-free whipped topping if desired.

Servings: 10

Per serving (filling only): Total Carb: 2.6g, Fiber: 0, Net Carb: 2.6g*
*Count excludes 8 grams of sugar that have been eaten by the bacteria in the yogurt.

LOW-CARB ALMOND PIE CRUST

1 cup finely chopped almonds
2 packets or 4 teaspoons granular Splenda
2 tablespoons butter, melted
A few grains of salt
2 tablespoons of egg white, beaten with a fork


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir all ingredients together and press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until browned. Let cool.

Servings: 10

Per serving: Total Carb: 1.2g, Fiber: 0.6g, Net Carb: 0.6g

Be sure to visit the CARB WARS Cookbook web site for more yummy low-carb recipes from that awesome cooking queen bee Judy Barnes Baker! She's absolutely amazing!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Cutie said...

that sounds yummylicious!

7/31/2007 7:06 PM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Erm... that lady-in-red doesn't exactly look like a lemon to me, Jimmy! What was in that pie of yours? Whiskey? :)

8/01/2007 9:10 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

LOL! You're funny, Science! She's a Southern Belle and I do declare she doesn't look like she needs a low-carb diet. But she eats that way for her health. :D

8/01/2007 10:04 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I am making this for a potluck on Friday. I love lemon. Thanks for the recipe!

8/01/2007 10:28 AM  
Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

So were back to you drooling over pussy and chocolates and sweets! Fun Fun! Obviously this isn't sent to be added in comments! It's a personel wake up call sent from me to you!

So now you hate me! Done deal! Sorry but you needed to hear this!(ban me forever) -Tom

8/01/2007 11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy,

I just saw your recipe for fried chicken using Long's Fry it Right. I just noticed that the mix contains trans fats. Are you concerned with that?

Thanks for your help!

8/01/2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS for your comments, Tish! I am aware the Long's Fry It Right has partially hydrogenated soybean oil (trans fat) in it, but it is a very small amount.

I'm looking at the nutritional label now and it shows .5g trans fat for each 10-gram serving size. When I make the the fried chicken with this stuff, each chicken breast uses about 3-4 grams of the product.

So, you're getting less than a quarter gram of trans fat and I can personally live with that since I don't eat anything else with trans fat it in.

THANKS again for your question, Tish! :D

8/01/2007 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotcha! I think I might go ahead an invest in some. Thanks, again for your opinion!

8/01/2007 12:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Be careful, Jimmy and Tish. Kentucky Fried Chicken makes a similar claim; i.e., that there is less than 1 gram of trans fat PER SERVING, so therefore they can put on the label, No Trans Fat. Thus, we should not be concerned. However, how many of us actually eat just one serving?

Moreover, Dr's Enig and Fallon, write that trans fat is so bad for the health of your cells, that you "should avoid it like the plague." At less than a serving, it actually hydrogenates your body's fat cells allowing free radicals to infiltrate your damaged cells. IMHO, keep looking for a non-trans fat replacement.

Gotta' beg my wife to make the pie, though.

All the best,

Charles

8/01/2007 2:08 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Great point, Charles. I've railed against the KFC deception because it's downright wrong.

But Long's Fry It Right is very open by listing the .5g trans fat on their nutritional label rather than saying "trans fat" free as others would claim.

As long as you don't go overboard eating this every once in a while, I don't think a quarter or even half gram of trans fat is gonna be harmful.

THANKS again for sharing your thoughts!

8/01/2007 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, Charles! I promise to take it easy : )

8/01/2007 3:25 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Okay..

I made this pie this morning. I like more of a lemony taste, so I added 4 packs of the lemonade mix and I also added 1 tsp. of lemon extract.

I think it's a great base for other
fruity pies. For lime, you might want to use 1/2 pkg. of unsweetened lime kool-aid and sweetner to taste..

:) Carolyn

8/03/2007 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy,

My mom made this pie, and it was heaven!! Thanks for posting the recipe.

DeLynn

8/06/2007 11:59 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS DeLynn! I received a response from the author of the recipe to post for you:

Thank you, DeLynn, for sharing your comment about my pie recipe. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Judy Barnes Baker
"Carb Wars: Sugar is the New Fat"
www.carbwarscookbook.com

8/07/2007 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home