MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I Say Put That Stupid Scale Away Today To Keep Discouraging Thoughts At Bay

When it comes to making the decision to start eating right and living healthy, it is a huge leap of faith that takes a great deal of courage and tenacity to go into unchartered territory. Especially those of us who have tried diet and after in the past with merely nominal or no success, this is a shaky proposition even for the most optimistic of people. I admire anyone who makes an effort at it because I've been there!

But we are our own worst enemy sometimes, aren't we?

If we as individuals think our diet is boring or too methodical, then those are merely excuses we use to rationalize getting out of our responsibility to do something about our weight and health problem before it is too late. How many of us have been guilty of doing that? I sure have...in the past.

Low-carb living has never been about being the "perfect diet" (although it's pretty darn close!). Instead, what I've learned is that this way of eating is always a work in progress that you will do for the rest of your long and healthy life. It's been nearly four years and counting for me and I expect it to continue for 10, 25, even 50+ more years that the good Lord keeps me here on Earth.

Despite this undisputed fact, some dieters just can't help trying to sabotage their own efforts (whether knowingly or otherwise) to shed the pounds as evidenced by the following e-mail I received from a reader this week who is new to low-carb and has allowed a silly little electronic device to beat her down and spit her out like some worthless piece of trash. How sad!

Here's what she wrote to me in that e-mail:

My husband and I have been on the low-carb diet for about two months now. He has lost 18 pounds so far and I have only lost 5 pounds.

I have to admit that about every five days or so I eat something that is not low-carb and I know that's silly because I'm only hurting my weight loss efforts.

It has been two weeks now and I have not cheated one time and yet I have only lost one little pound! I'm so very frustrated because I am committed to losing weight now. But it just seems like it won't come off.

I have even started going to the gym and doing cardio workouts to see if that would help me any. I was wondering since you had so much success with low-carb if you would have any suggestions for me.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my e-mail.


Oh, if I had a dollar for every e-mail I received like this one, then I could afford to have that tummy tuck I need already! Find out what I think this person and anyone who feels the same way about their low-carb plan should do to get back on track again by clicking here.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

There are many people who feel this way. They want a quick fix. They
seem to forget it took months or years to gain the weight, and it might take a while to lose it, too.

Unfortunately, cheating on a low carb diet can be the kiss of death for several days. One cheat can knock you out of ketosis and it might take you several days of LC eating to get back on track.

The good thing about losing more slowly though is that you are losing more FAT than muscle. This is a great thing in the long run.

I would rather lose 5 pounds in a couple of months than to lose 10 pounds in a months and struggle to
keep it off.

Every doctor will tell you that weight loss should be slow..no more than 1 or 2 pounds a week..:)

Just keep plugging away, sticking to your "lifestyle" choice and it will happen..

Blessings to you..Carolyn

7/31/2007 4:13 PM  
Blogger DD Jameson said...

Jimmy,

You are right on with the scale. When I started the Short Girls Support Group at Kimkins, I can't tell you how many times I preached the evils of the scale, and how sick they all became of hearing it. Some people can handle the scale and if they can, great, but I'm not one of them. I could care less how much I weigh, all that concerns me is how much space I occupy. It's all about the pants size, baby!

I have never seen one little piece of equipment cause so much misery for so many.

I do think the scale has it's place, and that is with maintenance. It can be an early warning that you're backsliding.

I believe there is some new reseach that says your waist size is actually more important than your weight when it comes to health.

7/31/2007 4:38 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

You're right, Melodie. The waist-to-hip ratio has been shown to be a much better indicator of your weight and health than your body mass index which has gotten all the attention.

But times they are a'changin' in this wacky world we call health!

7/31/2007 4:57 PM  
Blogger Sweet Tart said...

I've been struggling with this for years - the scale is not my friend! My mood for the day would always center around whether I was up or down a few pounds, an amount that no one but myself would notice or care about. I've recently stopped weighing myself and my goals (yes, even in maintenance) all center around healthy eating and exercise habits rather tha numbers on the scale.

7/31/2007 5:20 PM  
Blogger Not a Chance! said...

I totally agree with you on the scale thing! Put it away and just eat well...the scale isn't always the best way to measure health!

7/31/2007 6:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is why I use physicsdiet.com to log my weight, since it uses a moving average.

7/31/2007 8:15 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS pottedmeat! That's the exact same concept that "The Google 15" uses to track weight progress. It's truly fascinating and more accurate than the daily ups and downs. :)

CONGRATS on your amazing weight loss!

7/31/2007 8:54 PM  
Blogger Hi! I'm Adele... said...

Hey Jimmy!
Remember me from the Short Girls group? I'm glad to meet up with you again!! Great post about the scale -- I struggle daily with that stupid little white "demon box" -- I really can't put it away, because DH likes to keep track of his weight, like he really needs to, his weight has not changed in the 10 years we have been married!! I'm going to keep trying to beat this scale addiction, your post sure helps!!

Thanks!
Adele

8/01/2007 9:16 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Hey Adele! Welcome and stick around a while. ;)

Sweet Tart, you are EXACTLY the person I wrote this post about. Be encouraged, my friend. You're doing AWESOME work!

8/01/2007 10:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I use the scale every single day. And sometimes even at night before I go to bed. by doing so, I've learned what can cause a temporary jump in one direction or the other,-too much booze, too much bread, too much corn, adding on some muscle, etc. I dont get too excited by these small, temporary changes.

I do however get excited when I see a real trend, like my recent drop from 192 to 188 over the past 10 days (due to the intermittent fasting plan that I just started).

8/01/2007 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home