MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

When You Are Told You Can't, Prove You Can

I want to share a personal story with you today from my life to illustrate an important point as it relates to your quest to lose weight and keep it off forever. I've never written about this before, but I think it will encourage anyone who has been told they can't do something.

Here's the story:

When I was in the 8th grade, I was finally getting serious about my studies. My 7th grade year was fabulous--I excelled academically like I had never done before scoring all A's and B's. I realized my potential at the time was good enough to get me to college someday, so I applied myself to every subject I enjoyed.

One of those subjects was English. Because of my accomplishments in the 7th grade, I was placed in an advanced English class in the 8th grade. It was further affirmation that I was on the right track in school and I excitedly embraced the challenge of the more difficult assignments. BRING IT ON! :D

At the end of the year, the teachers were required to make recommendations about which high school classes the students should be placed in. Imagine my horror when I saw I was placed in a regular English class--NOT in advanced English--for my freshman year in high school. I was devastated and steaming mad!

I confronted her about it and she said, "Jimmy, I just don't think you are gifted enough to be in an advanced English class in high school. You'll never be that good at English." I pleaded and begged, but she wouldn't budge from her opinion.

WHY? Who is this decrepit old lady telling me I don't belong in advanced English in high school? How dare she judge me and put me in a box like that. Did she conveniently forget I won the poetry contest in the whole school? ARGH!

But you know what? This only motivated me that much more to prove just how wrong she was if it was the last thing I do.

Find out what happened when I got to high school that proved that 8th grade teacher was wrong and how ignoring her negativity about my abilities taught me an invaluable life lesson that has helped me to this day by clicking here.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home