MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, September 03, 2007

An Open Invitation To Kimkins Refugees

It was a little more than a month ago when I decided the time was right for me to break my previous ties to the Kimkins diet completely. Although it was hard, I can honestly say it was the right thing to do in light of so much that has been revealed about the person behind the diet especially during my recent podcast interview with her (listen to Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3-5) as well as the dangerously unhealthy dietary advice promoted.

My only regret about leaving Kimkins was the people on the forum I left behind. They are the ones who kept me there because I appreciated the open dialog with such a loving and caring group of people. I had missed that until I created my new "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Discussion" forum last month.

The instant connection between the members there has been magical so far because we are all respectful, professional, and honest with each other. What a thrill it has been to see over 125,000 pageviews in just the first month and I'm ecstatic about how many people will be positively impacted with the message of livin' la vida low-carb through that forum in the months and years to come.

I share all of this because of a very brave decision that was made by three extra special angels in God's eyes: Becky, Christin, and Deni. For those of you who are familiar with these awesome women, you know them as the faces (and cute ones at that!) of the Kimkins diet over this past year.

Becky was always providing thorough and direct posts on the Kimkins forums to questions posted by members. Christin was the cover girl in Woman's World magazine in May and a big cheerleader on behalf of the Kimkins diet after losing over 100 pounds. Finally, Deni was also in the Woman's World article for her weight loss and was a Spirit-filled spiritual leader for so many going through this journey.

But you'll notice I said "was." As of today, all three have left Kimkins.

It started with Becky last Thursday when she announced it was time for her to leave. Here's an excerpt of what she wrote:

"What led to my dawning awareness that it was time to go was more than irreconcilable differences of opinion, more than self-protective concern, and more than current controversy. What led to my regretful realization that I would have to leave is another story for another time."

Then, in a Labor Day surprise, both Christin and Deni wrote detailed blog posts (and Deni changed the name of her old blog to remove the reference to Kimkins) announced their sudden departure because of many of the same concerns I had.

Christin admitted her hair started to fall out after four months on Kimkins and she didn't have a period for five months in her farewell post today. She began to wonder what price she was paying with her health by following a weight loss plan like Kimkins for sustained weight loss.

"So while I do agree and whole heartedly support that there is everything to be said for protein sources to be lean, and eating fresh vegetables, there is also something to the fact that God created things like whole grains and fruit for our bodies as well. However, I saw those things as a short term sacrifice for a long term gain. But sacrifice at what cost?"

For Deni, she believes God had her at Kimkins for a purpose and now it's time for her to move on to the next phase of her life according to His Will for her life. Her growing concerns about Kimkins led her to no other conclusion.

"I am leaving because I have learned some things that make me doubt the integrity of the founder, and because I have been used for purposes that go against my personality, my moral, and my conscience. I was deceived, and yet.. I still do not regret or doubt that the Lord called me to be there.. I simply accept now, that my work there is done.. and that the plans HE had for me there.. have been completed."

With the departure of such strong and faithful leaders as Becky, Christin, and Deni from Kimkins (and others at Kimkins have already or will soon be following their lead), I would like to offer an open invitation to any Kimkins refugees looking for a place to call home where they can reconnect with one another in fellowship and community to join my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Discussion" forum.

If you are worried about being judged or ridiculed, then don't worry. None of that will happen there and you may just find a few new friends in the process. There are already several former Kimkins members there who are an active part of the threads sharing their experiences alongside those who are following plans like Atkins, Protein Power, Barry Groves, and more.

Everyone is welcome there and that includes Becky, Christin, and Deni when they are ready. As I have said, the Kimkins forum members were some of the most genuine, down-to-Earth, and fun group of people I've ever come across online. It would be an honor to have them bring that same personality and energy to my new forum.

If you have any questions (and I've been getting quite a few lately in my e-mail box from Kimkins members) about transitioning to a different low-carb approach or if you just have something on your mind, then please don't hesitate to contact me anytime at livinlowcarbman@charter.net. I'm always happy to hear from you and will answer you as quickly as possible.

Becky, Christin, and Deni--I'm more proud of you than you'll ever know!

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Scale Mistress said...

WOW!
First, to Becky, Christin and Deni...all of whom offered me comfort and support when I was a Kimkins member, I say "welcome." You are all very brave. Many of us came to similar conclusions and have walked where you are walking.

9/03/2007 8:41 PM  
Blogger Kevin M. said...

Wow, this is an even more stunning exodus and statement than your own radical departure. These women were the poster children for Kimkins. Poor Kimmer. I suspect she will continue with her diet, since i believe that she sincerely believes in what she is doing. And she is introducing alot of people to the effectiveness of low carb, to some degree. Maybe the world will never learn who she really is. The depths of the human psyche can be dark and mysterious indeed.

9/03/2007 9:30 PM  
Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

Holy Rabbit Starvation Batman!

I wonder how many people said "It worked for her" in reference to Christin!

Losing Hair! Ouch!

Christin, you are very brave to come out like this! Bravo!

For all folks, this shows this importance of getting the majority of your calories from fat! Lower calories by all means, but fat and animal fats are so important for good health!

9/03/2007 11:36 PM  
Blogger theTRUTH said...

Thanks Jimmy, it means a lot. I hope to see a lot of my friends here soon.

9/04/2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger Pot Kettle Black said...

This is, well, surprising. Since today is the first I've noticed you parting ways with Kimmer, I have to say, good on you. Not anything against her, but the commercial relationship was, regardless of the size of said relationship, was a little troubling. I'm glad you've severed and I hope that it's not too financially painful.

Second, I think it's surprising that so many are leaving. Would be interesting to see what Kimmer's take on it would be. I'm listening to all 5 parts of your interview with her, which is revealing. She reminds me of my great aunt, who disturbs me deeply for no particularly reason, other than she's 20 years younger than my great uncle, his second wife, dresses her dog in Burberry (really), and my aunt hated her hard core. Couldn't place it, other than the voice, the accent, and the content a little. Creepy.

Any rate, you do good stuff, no great stuff, when your free to explore. Nice.

9/04/2007 10:27 AM  
Blogger Celia Belle said...

I just wanted to say in reference to the "losing hair" bit. This is not unique to Kimkins (NO I AM NOT DEFENDING KIMMER OR KIMKINS). Losing hair is common with huge weight loss for women. It is a hormonal imbalance. I know a lady who lost a lot of her hair on weight watchers eating high carb food. And if you look at LCF there are many posts about using biotin and hair loss on Atkins and other low carb plans.

9/04/2007 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So while I do agree and whole heartedly support that there is everything to be said for protein sources to be lean, and eating fresh vegetables, there is also something to the fact that God created things like whole grains and fruit for our bodies as well. However, I saw those things as a short term sacrifice for a long term gain. But sacrifice at what cost?"

There is a clear difference between what God actually created and the junk that passes for grains and fruit today.

9/04/2007 1:13 PM  
Blogger Edge of the Circle Books Newsletter said...

Hey there, Jimmy--

Just wanted to say-- I think you're a very courageous person to come out and admit mistakes when made and take responsibility for your actions...but don't be too hard on yourself! Everybody does things they wish they hadn't from time to time-- but I think your contributions to the Low Carb Community far outweigh and transgressions you may feel you have made. So, here's a pat on the back-- and keep on, keepin' on!

Regards,

Raven

9/07/2007 9:57 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS Raven! Doing the right thing can be difficult, but it's still right. I appreciate your support.

9/07/2007 10:12 PM  
Blogger Deni said...

First of all Jimmy, thanks for giving us all a new home. :)

For the record I'd like to warn those searching for Kimkins.com and say that
I wish I never heard about Kimkins.com and Kimmer. I lost 60 % of my hair, had dizzy spells, heart
palpitations, messed up menstrual cycles, became intolerant to cold, anorexia induced anxiety problems, and developed an eating disorder..
Kimkins.com also messed up my metabolism and made the dreaded "regain" harder to fight than ever before. Stay away from Kimkins.com!

1/04/2008 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home