MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Friday, October 19, 2007

Atkins Diet Gives Kent Altena A Weight Loss Platform


Courtesy of The Des Moines Register, this photo of Kent Altena speaks volumes

He baaaaaaaaack!

One of my favorite people in the entire world has been featured YET AGAIN in his local newspaper for being an example of a life that has been radically changed for the better because of the Atkins diet. His name is Kent Altena.

I first blogged about Kent's remarkable 200-pound low-carb weight loss success shortly after starting my blog in 2005 and updated the progress of his story last year to show that he is keeping his weight off. He even got featured in his local Des Moines Register newspaper for his remarkable achievement last year.

Kent subsequently started making a series of YouTube videos about yummy recipes and how to do Atkins, including this highly inspiring one showing the amazing weight loss progress that both he and his beautiful wife have enjoyed while livin' la vida low-carb! But Kent has gotten a little slack in his videos in 2007--with good reason!

For him, there's no greater satisfaction than to continue proving to the whole world he is healthy and fit because of the Atkins diet. So he has taken up the fine art of marathon running. And lest you wonder if he is "carbing up," think again! Check out this video from Kent about the fallacy of that archaic principle.

Last October, the Des Moines Register again featured Kent in a column about his half-marathon experience. Even then, Kent had his eyes on something bigger--his first full marathon. And this Sunday he will FINALLY have his chance.

For the third time in the past two years, Kent Altena has been given a weight loss platform in The Des Moines Register because of the Atkins diet now that they published this story about him today. The newspaper is highlighting people who have successfully lost over 30 pounds and kept the weight off for at least two years. It's part of a new series of stories designed to inspire the nearly two-thirds of Iowans who are overweight or obese. I think EVERY state newspaper should do something like this to illustrate it IS possible.

This column is INCREDIBLE and I urge you to read it, be encouraged by it, and then share your personal comments about low-carb living for the other readers to see. We should seize on these rare opportunities in the media to present livin' la vida low-carb in the positive light it deserves. I know Kent would be very appreciative for the support too!

With Kent being nervous about running in the Des Moines Marathon on Sunday, let's encourage "bowulf" that he'll be just fine. It's an unbelievable accomplishment to even TRY to do something like this, but we are confident he WILL succeed. Visit Kent's blog and send him a note of encouragement at bowulf@network-admin.net.

WE'RE ROOTIN' FOR YA, KENT! You already make us VERY proud of you. :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Moon said...

Hey Jimmy, thanks for linking for this article today! I'm new to your blog, so I missed all the older articles you linked to previously. This comes at a great time for me to read that marathoners can do what they do - successfully - on a lower-carb lifestyle. I'm training for a marathon too, and had lately been getting concerned with how to balance my dietary lifestyle (which is similar to the Paleo diet, with maybe a few more whole grains thrown in - I've lost just a little over 100lbs since January) with all the high-carb stuff that I've read is a 'must-do' for endurance athletes.

Anyway, thanks for the links to all the helpful stuff! Keep rockin' it! :)

10/19/2007 3:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've tried running a 12k race that I do every year and not carbing up for it. I paid dearly. I had no energy and it took me nearly 2 hours to complete the course. The year after I carbed up and ran the race nearly 30 minutes faster. I carbed up again this past year and shaved another 5 minutes off my time.

Carbs provide easy energy for the body, and when running long distances I need the easy energy. Converting protein and fat into energy takes too much time and energy that could be spent on moving my feet and keeping up a good pace.

I now have pizza the night before the race, leftover pizza for breakfast, and a carbohydrate gel packet every 2 miles while I'm running, including one shortly before the start.

Low-carb running might work for some, but from personal experience I know it doesn't work for me. Low-carb gives me enough energy for the gym, but not for endurance exercise.

10/21/2007 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home