MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Sharing About My Healthy Low-Carb Lifestyle Change At Liberty Curves


Liberty, SC Curves owner Gena Gibson invited me to speak to her ladies

One of my favorite things to do ever since I lost over 180 pounds three years ago on the Atkins diet is go around to various venues talking about my low-carb weight loss success. I enjoy blogging, podcasting, and YouTubing my experiences on this amazing lifestyle change gift I have been given. But there's just something about standing in front of a group of people to intimately and passionately share what has happened to you.



Earlier today I had an opportunity to do just that in a town called Liberty, South Carolina at the local Curves there. If you have never heard of Curves, it is an international fitness phenomenon designed for the busy woman who wants to lose weight and get healthy. I have nothing but admiration for what this company is doing to help members of the female population feel comfortable working out and doing something about their health. My only regret is that they don't have a Curves for men (and don't tell me that's what Gold's Gym is for--EEEEEK!).



The ladies who were in attendance today were quite attentive and enthusiastic with their questions about my weight loss success. The overall theme I shared with them was about how livin' la vida low-carb or whatever their chosen diet plan is not about having some great willpower to shed the pounds. If we had such great willpower, then how in the world did we get fat to begin with? Instead, as I have blogged about previously, this lifestyle change is more about having a steadfast resolve to make better and smarter choices for your health first and foremost and the weight loss will come as a side effect of that. I kept coming back to this theme time and time again.



Although there were only about a dozen people there on this gorgeous Saturday afternoon, the insightful questions they posed to me kept me quite busy. Everything from the loose skin issue to eating out at restaurants as well as why some fruits and vegetables may not be healthy all the way to the role of exercise in my weight loss was brought up. We were having so much fun that the first time I looked up at the clock, over 1 1/2 hours had passed by!



I sincerely appreciate everyone who came out to meet me and listen to my opinions about diet, health and weight loss at the Curves in Liberty, SC today. It was such a pleasure meeting you and hopefully I was able to help educate, encourage, and inspire you in your own journey to better health. Please do not hesitate to contact me anytime at livinlowcarbman@charter.net if you have any specific questions or comments about this way of eating. I'm by no means an expert, but I have been living this way for close to four years and will happily share from my experiences.



Since we were moving quite fast with all the outstanding questions that were being asked, you might have missed the names and authors of some of those books I mentioned. Here is a recap of the ones I talked about:

- Livin' La Vida Low-Carb by Jimmy Moore (who? LOL!)
- Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
- The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
- Mindless Eating by Dr. Brian Wansink
- The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

There were many other books I could have recommended, but this is a good list of ones to begin with. Keep reading my blog to see even more! :)



Finally, here are a few blog posts to follow-up on some of the key points during my presentation if you are interested in even more information. Check these out:

- Study on creating a false memory (sugar is rat poison!)
- Study about how 30 minutes of exercise daily good for heart health
- My "loose skin" posts
- Fruits and vegetables are not all good for you
- Eating soy/tofu not so good for you after all
- Almonds are super-healthy for you to consume
- Getting adequate fiber in your diet
- The importance of drinking plenty of water
- The infamous "planned splurge" strategy
- I'm still obese according to BMI, but I don't look like it

We talked about so much, so please feel free to write to me anytime at livinlowcarbman@charter.net if you have any questions for me. I'm always happy to help! THANK YOU again to Gena Gibson for providing such a warm welcome for me and Christine during our visit to the Curves in Liberty, SC today. It was a load of fun and we look forward to coming back again in 2008!

Would you be interested in having me come speak to your group and make a public appearance in your area? If so, then please contact my publicity agent Christina Jeffrey from The Palladian Group at 864-596-7501 or e-mail her at Christina@ThePalladianGroup.com to inquire about more details. She'd be happy to mail out an informational package about me and set up everything with you about scheduling my appearance. I look forward to seeing you to talk about the incredibly healthy low-carb lifestyle in the near future. Book your date now before it fills up fast in 2008. :D

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

Jimmy, this is wonderful. Having gone to Clemson University, I know where Liberty is and I am also a Curves member here in VA. WOW! I am sure you really inspired those ladies. I hope I can hear you speak in person someday also!

Kay

10/28/2007 7:50 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Maybe the Curves where you go to in VA would be interested in having me come for a talk sometime, Kay. :) Have them contact my publicity agency.

10/28/2007 9:13 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Hey Jimmy!!

Love the blog!! I was reading the link to splurging-- who says that pizza is a splurge? I eat a small meat lovers with extra cheese every other week. I just order it with very little sauce and take the toppings off of the crust!!

I stay satisfied and purple at the same time!!

10/28/2007 1:55 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS Tracy! You can definitely make pizza low-carb, but probably not 30 slices of deep dish like I did during my planned splurge. :O

10/28/2007 3:02 PM  
Blogger Kevin M. said...

You're right, there's nothing quite as thrilling than speaking live to a group. Also, this is what "grassroots" power is about - one convert at a time is ultimately more powerful than broadcast.

10/29/2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jimmy~

Just so you know, Nitro Fitness for Men is very similar to Curves. You may want to look for it to arrive in your area....

Love your blog :)

Tamra

10/29/2007 8:51 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS Tamra! I've never heard of Nitro Fitness for Men, but I'll look into it.

10/29/2007 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home