MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Various Mentions And Nods Around The Internet

Thanks to the devoted readers of "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb," this platform I have for talking about my positive experiences on the incredibly healthy low-carb lifestyle has risen to the top of health and weight loss category online. I am grateful for your faithfulness to my mission to educate, encourage, and inspire more than you will ever know.

One fun aspect about having a blog that a whole lotta people read is the exposure it receives from other people all around the Internet. Because I write lots of columns that appear in so many different places, it seems there's a link to something I've written or discussed everywhere. To me, it's a testimony to the quality of what we are attempting to do and I appreciate the vote of confidence that everyone has given me.

I'd like to share with you some of the various mentions and nods around the Internet about how me and my blog are penetrating the culture and reaching those who need to hear the uplifting message of livin' la vida low-carb. Check 'em out! :D

1. THE MIGRAINEUR BUSTS LOW-CARB WATER WEIGHT LOSS MYTH

I recently shared with you about a new blog I found called The Migraineur. The blog's author--psipsina--is a low-carber and absolutely made my day when she railed against the American Diabetes Association recently. Now psipsina has begun a new series of posts designed to examine the "dumb things people say about the low-carb lifestyle." This oughta be REALLY good!

Her first post is about the myth that all you lose on a low-carb diet is "water weight" and she uses me as an example of how absurd that is. Here's what she wrote:

"Jimmy Moore, at Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb, has lost 180 pounds. I grant that it’s possible that someone who has only 5 or 10 pounds to lose could be shedding nothing but water, or mostly water. But losing 180 pounds of water? That’s 22.5 gallons of water! That’s equal to 4 and a half of those gigantic bottles of water they put in water coolers. If Jimmy Moore lost 22.5 gallons of water, all I can say is that he must be very glad to be rid of it."

Glrble, glrble...indeed I am happy to be done with all that water weighing me down! LOL! I've had some fun with this issue in previous posts here and here. This is the most redonkulous (or as psipsina calls "dumb") excuse people give for avoiding the low-carb life. Keep setting them straight with the truth, psipsina!

2. 'SEROTONIN POWER' AUTHORS LEND CREDENCE TO LOW-CARB?

In January, I highlighted a news story that featured the two author of a book called The Serotonin Power Diet where they encourage eating carbohydrates so that serotonin levels remain high enough to control appetite. I basically blew that idea off as quackery and advised people against following such a dietary routine if they truly want to lose weight the healthy way.

Well, maybe the authors of that book--Dr. Judith Wurtman and Dr. Nina Marquis--have changed their minds about livin' la vida low-carb since that story about their book came out because they wrote a post called "Low-Carb? Seriously?" on their blog this week talking about yours truly and my success on this way of eating.

"There are indeed plenty of low carb success stories. Take Jimmy Moore author of Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Blog. In 2004, as his New Year's resolution, he went from 410 pounds down to 230 and has kept it off since. His blog is gently irreverent, full of low carb news, and very supportive of others on his path. Like any diet, his blog is not for everyone, and certainly not for someone like our forum writer above who emotionally knows lowcarbing is not for her."

I'm sure that forum writer probably just didn't give her body enough time to overcome her withdrawal symptoms to rid herself of the toxic buildup from all the sugar and carbohydrates still in her system. But I'm happy they at least acknowledged livin' la vida low-carb and shared my story. They also gave a link to my South Beach recipe blogging buddy Kalyn Denny's outstanding blog called "Kalyn's Kitchen."

One of the authors is one of my fellow writers at DietDetective.com and the other author e-mailed me about sending a copy of their book for review. I've got a big stack of books to catch up on first, but I'll be getting to it as soon as I can to let you know about it. I appreciate their mention of low-carb and wholeheartedly agree with their philosophy about which diet plan people should choose.

"I think the key here is a reminder that every body is different and it's important to make your diet work for you and not against you. For that you have to pay attention to how what you eat affects your body, your mind, and the scale. Find what works for you and follow it."

ABSOLUTELY! Find what works for you, follow that plan exactly and then keep doing it forever and ever. Works every time it's tried!

3. MR. NICE GUY LOVES OUR LOW-CARB YOUTUBE VIDEOS

Ever since my wife Christine and I started our foray into the wonderful world of YouTube a couple of months ago, we have encountered lots of brand new fans of "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb." It's a different venue with a rather peculiar brand of humanity unlike anywhere else you go on the World Wide Web. But you gotta love 'em!

One such character (and he's a REAL character indeed!) is a man who goes by the username mrniceguy28431. This guy is a trip and is about as country as you could possibly get. People think I talk Southern, but this guy takes the cake.

He is a 32-year old movie theater manager named Shannon and he hails from just up the road from me in Whiteville, North Carolina. Learn more about him at his Stickam page and check out this video he posted to YouTube where he shows off his adorable little baby boy and talks about somebody you've probably heard of somewhere before.



You can't help but love a guy like Shannon because he's sincere and is making an effort to do something about his weight and health--the low-carb way! You can leave him some positive comments at YouTube (which he LOVES, by the way!) and even help him out financially by making a purchase at his eBay store (especially if you like South Park or The Simpsons).

4. DISC OF LIGHT NOW OFFERING PODCAST PRODUCTION SERVICES

The producer of my hit podcast "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore" is now extending his services to others who would like to have a high-quality audio or video podcast. The amazing Kevin Kennedy-Spaien has been the secret agent behind making my podcast show pop for the past year. I have been very grateful for the outstanding job he has done to propel my podcast to the top of its genre and I certainly could not have done it without Kevin's remarkable talents.

He also produces the cooking show "Healthy Helpings TV" with Michelle Koen who creates some delicious low-carb dishes in a delightful video format as well as the cleverly-titled "Yoga: It's a Gas!" videos that will have you laughing as much as you will be informed. Kevin is the one who works his magic touch to make these shows the best they can possibly be!

If you own a small or large business and are not already taking advantage of the podcasting format, then let Kevin Kennedy-Spaien help you easily enter this advantageous new media format so you can expand the reach of your company's message to the consumer. It's something you've been meaning to do, but you keep putting it off. Now DO SOMETHING about it and give Kevin a call--(815) 642-8104.

5. LOWCARBDUDE IS LOVING HIS CHOCOPERFECTION BARS

One of my biggest supporters online is a Canadian writer named Brian Cormier, aka "The Low-Carb Dude." I recently blogged about a column he wrote about being fat and he has a real knack for mixing in a healthy dose of humor along with riveting storytelling to keep you glued. Gotta love that!

When Brian saw me giving glowing comments about ChocoPerfection bars (read my review of these incredible sugar-free, low-carb chocolate bars!), he just had to get his hands on some to try for himself. I think he's pretty happy he did that!

"Whoa! I received them today and they are DELICIOUS. I tell ya, I can't tell the difference! And only two net carbs per bar! Amazing. These will definitely be a staple in my home for whenever I want a treat."

See, you CAN have your chocolate on a low-carb diet and eat it, too! :D By the way, for fans of ChocoPerfection bars, you'll be pleased to know they are in the process of creating a BRAND NEW BAR that will knock your socks off. I've been working with them to create this unbelievable bar and I know you're gonna love it as much as I do. More details will be coming soon, but I can tell you what it's called--"The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Bar." Stay tuned! :D

And FINALLY...

6. DISEASE PROOF DESCRIBES ME AS A "NOBODY," REFUSES INTERVIEW

In a rather interesting response to my ongoing request for an interview with Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of the anti-low-carb and low-fat, vegetarian loving Eat To Live diet book, the gatekeeper of his "Disease Proof" web site has resorted to sophomoric name calling rather than a civilized discussion.

Gerald Pugliese runs Dr. Fuhrman's web site and enjoys antagonizing low-carb supporters by regularly blasting away at livin' la vida low-carb. Interestingly, he likes to bring my name and/or my blog up quite often at "Disease Proof" to make his points. See for yourself in these posts questioning how the late great Dr. Robert C. Atkins died, describing low-carbers as meat-eating savages, creating mass hysteria over salt consumption, and characterizing people who support low-carb as "fanatical."

Nice fella, huh? NOT!

Well, after seeing all these opinions that both he and Dr. Fuhrman have about the healthy low-carb lifestyle, I thought it would be beneficial to you my readers to host an interview with him as a truce of sorts so that I could question him about why Dr. Fuhrman believes what he does about nutrition. After all, the most famous low-fat diet supporter in the entire world--the highly-touted Dr. Dean Ornish--even agreed to an interview with me, so surely someone like Dr. Joel Furhman would too, right?

Nope!

After blogging about Dr. Fuhrman's reaction to the new Gary Taubes book Good Calories, Bad Calories earlier this week, I repeated my interview challenge to him.

"Will Dr. Fuhrman be a real leader by toning down the sensationalism so that people could actually be helped for a change? And why is Dr. Fuhrman still refusing my request for an interview? The invitation is still wide open and I don't have any idea why he wouldn't do it like Dr. Ornish did last year."

You'll never believe the explanation Pugliese gave for why it won't happen in an e-mail he sent to me entitled "Why there will be no interview." Brace yourself!

"I'm not sure why you keep wondering why Dr. Fuhrman doesn't want an interview with you. I personally advised him against it. After all, you're a nobody--just a lowly blogger like me. Stop fishing for conspiracy theory. Its beneath you."

Um, huh? What would be the harm in having someone like me, one of the most ardent supporters of low-carb, interviewing a second- or third-tier low-fat supporter like Dr. Joel Fuhrman for my blog, Gerald? You and I both know your description of me and my blog is inaccurate. This blog receives some of the highest traffic in the health and fitness category and has been recognized as one of the best of the best (read about these accolades here, here, and here, just to name a few). I have conducted over 40 interviews with some of the biggest names in diet and nutrition, including Dr. Ornish, Dr. Richard Bernstein, Dr. Brian Wansink, Dr. Eric Westman, Drs. Mike and Mary Dan Eades, Dana Carpender, Dr. Jonny Bowden, Charles Stuart Platkin, Dr. Mary C. Vernon, Bob Harper...the list goes on and on!

Nobody is looking for a "conspiracy theory," Gerald. We simply want the chance to ask Dr. Fuhrman questions about why he believes what he believes just as I have all these other fine leaders in the health discussion. What makes you and Dr. Fuhrman think he is better than all of these previous interview candidates, hmmm? That to me sounds like you've got something to hide, but it's your loss in the end because I gave you a golden opportunity to have a platform for sharing your message.

Contrary to what some people think, the "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog is not about forcing people to follow a low-carb diet. GASP! Shocking to some, but true. I've always been about helping people find the plan that works for them, following that plan exactly as prescribed by the author, and then doing that plan for the rest of their life. If Eat To Live is the way someone chooses, then who am I to stop them? The point is I wouldn't and neither should anyone stop those who want to do the Atkins or any other low-carb diet to lose weight and get healthy.

All of us "nobody" bloggers and voices in the health debate should at least agree with this philosophy and tone down the rhetoric that comes from people like Gerald Pugliese and Dr. Joel Fuhrman. After all, there's a whole world full of people who are eager to find a way to shed the pounds and keep it off for the first time in their entire lives. If I can help make that happen, then I will.

Let me say THANK YOU to everyone who supports the work I am doing here to bring healthy living to a world that sometimes doesn't know what to think about their diet. Little by little, we can continue to help people better understand what is right for them so they can live the happy, healthy and fit life they've always dreamed about. Keep spreading the word and keep on livin' la vida low-carb!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cormier said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Jimmy! You continue to be a real inspiration. Week #17 weigh-in is tomorrow morning. So far, -57 lb in 16 weeks! Going great. On your recommendation, I went to a bookstore tonight and bought Gary Taubes' Good Calories - Bad Calories. I look forward to reading it!

10/13/2007 9:06 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

You got it, buddy! I'm so proud of your progress, so KEEP IT UP! Let's see some "during" pictures sometime, eh? :D

You'll LOVE GCBC, no doubt! We're going to start a chapter-by-chapter look at that book at my LowCarbDiscussion.com forum in a few weeks, so come join in the conversation. SEE YA!

10/13/2007 9:18 PM  
Blogger Orvette said...

Great work, Jimmy, I'm so glad you brought us these bits of news & recognition! You're out there all the time with your finger on the pulse. And I appreciate the reminder to visit Brian's blog, it's been too long. I love his writing style and am so pleased to see his terrific weight loss - wow! You're going to need a new pic soon, Brian, but please don't lose that charming eye-rolling expression! ;)

10/13/2007 11:11 PM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

It is too bad too see, once again, that some people are so ingrained, indoctrinated and arrogant that they not even want to be bothered to talk to us "mere mortals".

Perhaps it won't surprise you that this kind of (mis)behavior is not uncommon amongst the more fanatical vegetarians. I'm not trying to be funny when I say that they may actually have suffered considerable brain-damage from a lack of healthy fats in such diets. EFA's, especially saturated fats play a major role in cognitive functions. And there's quite some science to back that up.

The basic message of (most) vegatarians is that meat-eating results in aggressive behavior, while vegetarian diets create feelings of calmness, tranquility, and peace. This theory clocks up quite a lot of mileage in vegetarian propaganda, despite having absolutely no basis in scientific reality.

If anything, vegetarian diets are more likely to harm one's cognitive faculties, thanks to a greatly increased risk of vitamin B12 deficiency. Vegetarians also have lower dietary and lower blood levels of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids such as DHA and EPA. These fatty acids can be formed in the body from plant-based omega-3 fats, but numerous studies show that the conversion rate is very low and largely ineffective. B12 is essential for optimal cognitive function, while DHA is a major component of brain tissue.

Many scientific studies have confirmed major issues with these diets. A few a mentioned below.

These findings go a long way towards explaining the rather bizarre behavior exhibited by radical vegetarian groups like PETA and the so-called Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. It may also help explain much of the irrational, scientifically-unfounded tripe spouted by folks like Dean Ornish.

In fact, if one is interested in history, similar behavior was certainly very apparent in one of the most infamous, destructive and avid vegetarians of all time: a certain rather nasty individual called Adolf Hitler.

Selected references and studies:

1. Sanders TAB, Reddy S. The influence of a vegetarian diet on the fatty acid composition of human milk and the essential fatty acid status of the infant. Journal of Pediatrics, 1992; 120: S71-S77.
2. Sanders TAB, et al. Studies of vegans: the fatty acid composition of plasma choline phosphoglycerides, erythrocytes, adipose tissue and breast milk, and some indicators of susceptibility to ischemic heart disease in vegans and omnivore controls. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1978; 31: 805-813.
3. Li D, et al. The association of diet and thrombotic risk factors in healthy male vegetarians and meat-eaters. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1999; 53: 612-619.
4. Francois CA, et al. Supplementing lactating women with flaxseed oil does not increase docosahexaenoic acid in their milk. American Journal Clinical Nutrition, 2003 Jan;77(1):226-33.
5. Mezzano D, et al. Vegetarians and cardiovascular risk factors: hemostasis, inflammatory markers and plasma homocysteine. Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 1999; 81 (6): 913-917.
6. Fokkema MR, et al. Short-term supplementation of low-dose gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), or GLA plus ALA does not augment LCP omega 3 status of Dutch vegans to an appreciable extent. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids, 2000; 63 (5): 287-92.
7. Emken EA, et al. Dietary linoleic acid influences desaturation and acylation of deuterium-labeled linoleic and linolenic acids in young adult males. Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta, 1994; 1213: 277-288.
8. Pawlosky RJ, et al. Physiological compartmental analysis of alpha-linolenic acid metabolism in adult humans. Journal of Lipid Research. 2001; 42: 1257-1265.
9. Dagnelie PC, et al. Increased risk of vitamin B-12 and iron deficiency in infants on macrobiotic diets. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1989; 50: 818-824.
10. Dagnelie PC, et al. Macrobiotic nutrition and child health: results of a population-based, mixed-longitudinal cohort study in The Netherlands. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1994; 59 (Suppl.): 1187S-1196S.
11. Louwman MWJ, et al. Signs of impaired cognitive function in adolescents with marginal cobalamin status. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2000; 72: 762-769.
12. West ED, Ellis FR. The electroencephalogram in veganism, vegetarianism, vitamin B12 deficiency, and in controls. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 1966; 29: 391-397.
13. Kurtha AN, Ellis FR. Investigation into the causation of the electroencephalogram abnormality in vegans. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 1971; 2: 53-59.

10/14/2007 5:44 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for the mention! Your blog is looking great too!

10/14/2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger Jake Silver said...

I read your blog and disease-proof and I think the diet I use is probably closer to a South Beach low-carb than Furhman's... I occassionally think you are too harsh but over-all I agree the DiseaseProof blog has a nasty "holier-than-thou" tone and you are NOT a nobody, you are certainly a better blogger than the gentleman that runs D.P.

But it's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

10/14/2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger Kevin M. said...

Jimmy, Fuhrman's refusal is pretty much an automatic victory for you, you have knocked him out before entering the ring. It reminds me of the cold war, in that The USSR was so threatened every time we offered peace or assistance that they accused us of trying to destroy them, and fell into fits of impotent rage. They eventually collapsed from the huge exertion of supporting their own baseless paranoia. We won pretty much by just being our happy selves, and not backing down from a fight. It sounds like Fuhrman is desperately trying to convince himself and the world that you are evil, just by his saying it. These kind will eventually self-destruct from lack of evidence, and all you have to do to beat them is be your happy, healthy self.

You have beaten the pants off him without moving a muscle, because you have science on your side, and his side is based in pure ideology, which he and his kind are eventually going to have to face.

10/14/2007 9:31 PM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Very well said Kevin, I couldn't agree more!

10/15/2007 6:05 AM  
Blogger J.B said...

keeping serotonin levels high! i'm pretty sure high serotonin levels from eating carbs is the reason everyone is so tired!

oh...an overweight friend from work got diabetes, he has fully cut sugar out of his diet and lost 13kilograms. just felt like sharing. keep up the good work mate!

10/15/2007 10:02 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

AWESOME JOEL!!! Great to hear from you as always. Cheers!

10/15/2007 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home