MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Meeting Steve Yu, Flying To Phoenix, And Leaving You With 15 New Low-Carb Blogs

Christine and I will be leaving out of town on Wednesday afternoon to drive down the road three hours to Atlanta, Georgia to meet up with Steve Yu, the producer and director of an incredible film project entitled INSPIRED: The Movie. You'll recall Steve brought his wife Mariah and a film crew up to my home in Spartanburg, South Carolina last year to shoot some footage of me talking about my low-carb weight loss success. I'll be interviewing Steve for my podcast show to talk with him about the status of his amazing movie and when you can expect to see it either in theaters or on DVD. Stay tuned!

Then on Thursday, we'll be getting on an airplane heading out west to Phoenix, Arizona for the American Society of Bariatric Physicians and Nutrition & Metabolism Symposium. I've been looking forward to this trip for months and now it's this week. WOO HOO! Everybody who's anybody in the world of low-carb research is gonna be at this amazing conference and I'm gonna do my best to interview and meet as many of them as I can.

In fact, Christine and I came up with a YouTube video idea--since we'll have all these experts in one place, why not ask them a rather simple question that should warrant a variety of responses. Here's what I'll be asking: If you only had 15 seconds to communicate one message about health to the entire world, what would you say? Imagine what people like Dr. Mike Eades, Dr. Mary Vernon, Gary Taubes, Dr. Richard Feinman, Dr. Jeff Volek, Jackie Eberstein, and others would have to say to that question! Well, you won't have to imagine because we're gonna see EXACTLY what they'd say in that video. Be looking for it when we return early next week.

While we're away in Phoenix, I should still have Internet access and I'm bringing my laptop. But I don't know how much time there will be for blogging. Probably little to none since the schedule is so tight. And the hotel we're staying at is a luxurious resort with a water theme park on site, full spa and gym, and lots of scenic beauty that may distract me from blogging. Sorry ya'll, but you gotta soak it in while you can! :P

To that end, I'd like to share a bunch of new low-carb blogs with you as has become my custom before leaving on a long trip away from home. If you missed any of my previous blog posts featuring the latest and the greatest new low-carb blogs, then you can see them here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Here are 15 pretty amazing new low-carb blogs I've come across lately:

1. JON'S ATKINS CHALLENGE

Jonny D from the UK is on a rather bold, but possible mission--"Reducing my Weight and Improving My Health" and "To discover if the Atkins Approach Really Works." Let me tell ya, Jon, IT WORKS IT WORKS IT REALLY WORKS! He's already approaching 50 days of livin' la vida low-carb (well, sorta, if you don't count cheats like this one with a donut!) and is working his way down to 12 stone, or 168 pounds. Jon is currently at 200 pounds and well on his way to reaching his goal. Check out his blog for posts of what he is eating on his way to fit and healthy the low-carb way.

2. DYED IN VERMONT TIE-DYES

Okay, you might be wondering, "Uh, Jimmy, what's a blog about tie-dye shirts got to do with low-carb dude?" GREAT QUESTION! And I could say I'm looking for the inner 60's hippie inside of me. But the reality is this Vermont blogger named Richard Rogers has some great stuff to say about diabetes that you should read. He's already said there will be more posts about how he controls his Type 2 diabetes. I LOVED this quote: "All type 2 diabetics can benefit from reduced carbohydrate intake, and I have personally found that a very low-carb diet (along with medication and blood testing) can be very effective for controlling blood sugar." WOO HOO! Somebody else that gets it! Are you getting the message yet ADA?

3. ROY AND HAZEL

How can you NOT love a couple like Roy and Hazel? Here they are sharing their livin' la vida low-carb experience for all the world to see warts and all and they LOVE it. Unafraid to share whatever's on their mind good, bad, or ugly, Roy and Hazel are a trip and you should REALLY check 'em out often. Looks like a Ricky and Lucy thing if you ask me. LOL! Luuuuuuuuucy?! AWESOME and ENCOURAGING info, too!

4. 4 KINGS AND A QUEEN

Here's a 30-year old California homemaker named Sarah who deserves a medal or something--raising four boys and a special needs little girl while livin' la vida low-carb, too! You're my hero!!! She's trying her hand at the low-carb lifestyle eating an amazing Atkins-like high-fat/low-carb diet consisting of a fat/protein/carbohydrate ratio of 80/15/5. OUTSTANDING!!! Sarah says some people may think she's "crazy" eating this way, but it apparently "works for a lot of people." That it does. She's "playing around" with doing this for her weight and health and I think the results are gonna be much better than she could have ever imagined. You go get 'em, Sarah!!!

5. GLUCOHOLIC

If you are a diabetic or low-carber looking for sugar-free snacks reviews, then this is the blog for you. ENJOY! :)

6. WEIGHTY MATTERS

Dr. Yoni Freedhoff is an amazing bariatric physician in Ottawa, Ontario Canada who uses non-drug therapies for treating obesity and disease. His blog is chock full of some wonderful information for people looking to live a healthy lifestyle without the need for prescriptions. I'll be sharing a podcast interview with Dr. Freedhoff very soon that you're sure to enjoy!

7. PAUL'S HEALTH BLOG

Paul, a prostate cancer survivor who took control of his own health, is "living the natural path" and wants others to understand clearly why this is more preferred than being drugged up for this and that health condition. I love what he had to say about the "cholesterol deception" that is going on in our culture today. I admire your strength and determination to educate, Paul, and wish you nothing but continued success at keeping your cancer in remission.

8. DR. SEARS' ZONE DIET

Okay, so this site isn't new nor is it a blog. But if you haven't come across Dr. Barry Sears and The Zone diet before, then it's certainly worth taking a look at this site. Dr. Sears has been on the cutting edge of nutritional science talking about the subject of inflammation as the culprit in obesity and disease long before anyone else was. And lately, he's been lauded for helping 1200-pound Manuel Uribe get his weight and health under control (he's lost 500 pounds and counting following Dr. Sears' lower-carb nutritional approach). Check it out!

9. MISS WISABUS

Elizabeth, a 23-year old senior at the University of Oklahoma, is livin' la vida low-carb and loving it too. Check out what she had to say on her April 7, 2008 blog entry: "So, I’m low-carbing, right? It’s changed my life. Complete 180. I couldn’t have imagined how much better I would feel, the energy I would have (Though, I could definitely handle requiring more sleep than I currently feel like I need. The energy I have between 10pm and 2am alone may be enough to raise Dr. Atkins from the dead. Will look into this.), and how good bacon can taste." You ain't seen nothin' yet, Liz! Wait until you've been eating this way for several years--UNBELIEVABLE FEELING! Keep up the great work with your low-carb progress and impeccable blog.

10. THE NEW MANDA--MY WEIGHT LOSS STORY

Manda is a 22-year old student from El Paso, Texas on a "fat loss journey." She hasn't posted in a couple of months, so how about we all encourage her to start blogging again and try livin' la vida low-carb if she's ready to get serious about losing weight and getting healthy.

11. LESLIE'S LOW-CARB LIFESTYLE

Leslie is a spunky 23-year old, 275-pound (and falling!) Indiana girl who's ready to be dead serious about livin' la vida low-carb and lose over 100 pounds. And she's doing it, too, already shedding over 35 pounds this year! Cheer her on to GREAT success in 2008. YOU CAN DO THIS, Leslie!!! We believe in you, girl, so KEEP AT IT!

12. TALKING OUT OF TURN

Charlie Seabold is one interesting chap. Just take a quick look at his blog to see what I'm talking about. But one thing about Charlie that I especially enjoyed seeing is that he is succeeding on the Atkins diet along with implementing Fred Hahn's Slow Burn techniques into his routine starting last month. He's below 200 pounds now thanks to Gary Taubes and Hahn and that's a very good thing. Click here to read about how Charlie's thinking on diet has evolved because of what he has learned about low-carb living.

13. HYPERLIPID

52-year old Peter is a veterinarian from the UK who consumes a diet consisting of 80 percent fat. YEAH BABY!!! He does eat enough carbohydrates to stay out of ketosis and has been doing this ever since June 2003 claiming "I feel better than I did as a teenager." I adored what he had to say about his diet: "I am always looking for evidence that I may be wrong to eat against most current medical advice. So far Pubmed backs me up." HA! You get 'em Peter!!! Superb information found throughout this blog.

14. SH.NET BLOG

Syera is another one of those unconventional bloggers. But I couldn't help but stop in my tracks when I saw this blog post she entitled "Because some people just don't get it." In it, Syera explains the REAL reason why people get diabetes (and it's not because of their obesity) and the diagram she uses to show the connection between carbs, sugar cravings, and insulin spikes is worth taking a look at. THANKS for making this crystal clear, Syera!

15. KELLY THE CULINARIAN

I am a low-carb recipe nut, so naturally Kelly Mahoney's blog was a perfect choice to include among my list of low-carb blogs since that's what she features at her site. This Illinois journalist isn't an exclusive low-carb recipe blogger, but she certainly makes some incredible dishes when she does decide to make 'em low-carb (like this low-carb chicken parmesan dish--WOW!). Bookmark Kelly's blog and visit early and often (preferably on an empty stomach, too!).

Give these blogs a look see and leave a comment for the ones you REALLY like. I'll bet you'll make their day if you do. Tell them you read about their blog at "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" from Jimmy Moore. That'll trip 'em out for sure. :D

Got a new low-carb blog you want me to know about? Send me the URL at livinlowcarbman@charter.net and I may just feature it in a future blog post. And if you're thinking about starting a blog, let me encourage you to DO IT! The more low-carb bloggers we can have sharing the good news of livin' la vida low-carb to the world, the better! There are real people who need to know there is a better way than the high-carb, low-fat diet. EWWWWW!

You can access hundreds of low-carb links at my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Links" blog.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Roy and Hazel said...

Hi Jimmy - Thanks for mentioning our blog! We're enjoying writing it, its motivating for us to do it, and we are getting used to our new way of life. This feels right to us as we feel so much better!

4/09/2008 1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding Link #7 -- Paul's Health Blog --

How does this qualify as low carb? So far as I can tell, he recommends a vegan diet: veggies, fruits, brown rice, whole grains --

and abstention from meat and dairy. He's big on detoxing and juice fasts and wheat grass.

Note too that Paul was never actually DIAGNOSED with prostate cancer... but claims to have defecated "tumorous material."

But he has an herbal cure for every disease known to man.

A suggestion: would you run this site past Regina Wilshire and get her opinion. I smell snake oil and adver-torial. The guy sells herbal supplements (e.g., Earth's Nutrition, Doctors' Research) at a nice profit.

On a happier note: Blog #13, Hyperlipid, rocks. Peter, BSc in physiology and veterinary science, eats close to Jan Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet recommendations... high fat, low carb. He trawls pubmed doing independent medical research that goes well over my head. And he is not selling a single product. Infallible? Hardly. Credible? Yes.

Andrea

4/11/2008 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home