MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, September 04, 2006

'Fried Coke' May Be Coming To A Fair Near You


Gonzales revels in his latest state fair concession invention--FRIED COKE!

They always say "everything is bigger in Texas." But bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, especially when you are talking about the waistlines of those who will be lining up at the State Fair of Texas in Dallas at the end of this month to try to latest and craziest concession stand gimmick I think I've ever seen.

We've all heard about Fried Twinkies as well as the equally infamous Fried Snickers Bar. But Abel Gonzales, Jr. thinks he may have the most unique deep-fried idea that anyone has ever come up with--he's making Fried Coca-Cola!

When I told you about the doughnut bacon cheeseburger being served at a minor league baseball concession stand back in July, I had no idea there would be an even worse item to come along. But here it is winning "most creative new fried treat" for Texas fairgoers to try this year.

You might be wondering how Gonzales fries the Coke, eh? Well, as you can see in that picture above, he pours Coca-Cola into a bowl of batter to make the nuggets, deep-fries them in hot oil, and finally tops them with even more Coca-Cola syrup and whipped cream. Oh, I think I'm gonna be sick...BLECH!

“People are going to want to try it just for the novelty,” Gonzales told the Dallas Morning News.

If sales of his best-tasting winning entry from last year--Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly and Banana Sandwich--are any indication, Fried Coke could be consumed by at least 25,000 people over the three-week state fair.

Why is our culture so obsessed with creating bigger and bigger hamburgers and deep frying everything but the kitchen sink (and that's probably next!) while obesity is still such a dead serious problem. Are we ever going to learn from the nutritional mistakes we have made overloading our bodies with excessive sugar and refined carbohydrates?

I don't even want to think about how many carbs are in that "Fried Coke" creation, but with the sugary Coke mixed with the high-carb batter and then topped with even more concentrated sugar-laden Coke syrup and whipped cream this thing has got to be packing about 150-200g carbs MINIMUM for ONE serving. Getting...dizzy...think I'm gonna pass out now...

(thump)

Whoa, what happened? I must have fell off my chair in disbelief at the carb count in this "Fried Coke." Okay, I'm back now from my shock-induced fainting spell, but I'm still appalled that we keep allowing foods like this to be served to the public and everyone seems to get a big kick out of it.

When are we ever going to learn that eating foods like this does absolutely no good whatsoever for our bodies and, more importantly, for our health? Is obesity and the subsequent illnesses caused by that condition really going to have to engulf the vast majority of Americans before we FINALLY get a clue and end the madness?

This is the kind of thing that frustrates me more than anything as an advocate for healthier living. We bemoan the fact that the number of overweight and obese people is getting higher and yet we don't speak up and tell people like Gonzales that we don't need to be serving people "Fried Coke" at the fair. What is the purpose? The thrill of encouraging poor eating? UGH!

If we truly care about the health and welfare of our fellow citizens, then we will declare making foods like this is just plain wrong and irresponsible. No more silly food experiments just for the sake of doing something different than before. Call me a party pooper, but wouldn't it be funny if the next time you go to the fair all they sold was low-carb foods?

"Um, yes, I'll have the grilled chicken breast topped with cheese, a side salad, and a diet soda please." Wouldn't that be AWESOME?! Talk about your new and unique ideas!

Sigh. But, of course, you know I'm only dreamin' here because it looks like "Fried Coke" is on its way to a fair near you if this sells well in Texas. Even "Fried Diet Coke" would be disastrous because you're still getting the carbs from the batter. EWWWW! I think I'll pass thank you very much!

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kent said...

In a culture run amok with self-gratification and excess, I am no longer surprised by anything those hucksters put out. I am more surprised at the scientists or lack thereof that don't stage a revolt against this refined carb revolution. Look at the criticisms of Krispy Kremes, they are largely due to them being fried not the fact they are almost pure sugar on top of a fat-white flour mixture. While I would never restrict or tax their choice from being able to mess themselves up, I just remain more resolved to keep telling the gospel of feeling better.

9/04/2006 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think all these crazy fried food concoctions are just horrible. Yes, in my high carb heyday I did indulge in a few funnel cakes (yum!). But I was always disgusted by the fried candy bar, twinkie, etc. craze from the time it hit our annual street festival a few years ago. If one rat poison vendor keeps trying to top another I hate to even try to imagine the health wrecking concoctions they will come up with. I, for one, was never even tempted to eat a fried candy bar, even "for the novelty". Now, if there was a low carb funnel cake...

9/04/2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oooo, I want to try it. :)

9/04/2006 10:49 PM  
Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

Is there a saying: "Only in America"

That's some pretty crazy stuff!

9/05/2006 2:28 AM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

This must be the (temporary) pinnacle of a culture completely submerged in carbohydrate addition. I'm sure they'll come up with something even more horrid. Maybe the unbridled nutritional wisdom of our great friend dr. Foreyt can help here - with balance, variety and moderation, of course :)

9/05/2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger Lili said...

I can't believe people would even want to eat that!

9/06/2006 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home