MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Jimmy Moore's 2007 New Year's Resolutions

When I made the decision to start the Atkins diet on January 1, 2004, it was probably the first time I ever made a New Year's resolution that I intended to keep. Why do put ourselves through all the efforts involved in making resolutions if we're not going to follow through on them? Human nature can be a strange thing sometimes.

But thankfully I was able to not only keep that resolution, but see it through to the end--losing 180 pounds by the end of 2004. Now it's three years since the day I began my low-carb lifestyle and I've been able to keep that weight off with relative ease now for two years. Unbelievable and amazing all at the same time!

While I don't think I'm out of the woods yet until I can keep the weight off for a minimum of three years (which will be one year from now on January 1, 2008), I do think I've proven that livin' la vida low-carb is indeed a long-term solution to obesity. There's no denying it based on my own experience. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't walked a mile in my shoes.

With all that said, I believe there are areas of my health that still need some additional work and I'm willing to resolve to work on them in 2007. That's right, I am making a list of New Year's resolutions for 2007 to improve my health even more.

After a good deal of thought, here's what I want to do:

1. Get below 200 pounds

Currently I weigh 220 pounds and I've been unable to go below 215 pounds since my weight loss in 2004. While I am certainly NOT bemoaning my situation because at least the weight is staying off, I'd personally LOVE to get down to 199 just to say I'm back in the 100's again (or that coveted ONE-derland!). I haven't been at that weight since the 5th grade! Yeah, I was pretty chunky as a kid, but not anymore. Considering I've lost 20 pounds since August, I don't think losing 21 pounds in 2007 is unreasonable. That's less than two pounds a month. It's doable and I'M GONNA DO IT!

2. Get my body fat percentage down to 6%

When you weigh over 400 pounds with a body fat percentage in excess of 50%, you don't really care too much about it. There's just no concept in your mind of what single-digit body fat would be like. But now that I've been livin' la vida low-carb for a few years and have kept my weight relatively stable, I'd like to focus on reducing my body fat significantly. The last time I had it checked, my body fat percentage was 11 percent. I am in the process of having that checked again and working closely with a well-known trainer to reach my goal of 6% body fat. It's gonna take some work, but I'm willing to do what it takes to get there.

3. No more diet sodas

Yep, it's time for me to give up one of my last remaining vices in the world. While I still believe drinking diet soda is MUCH better for you than regular sugary soda, I've reached the point where I no longer feel like I have to have that in my life. This is HUGE for me considering I used to guzzle a case and a half of regular sugar-filled soda before my low-carb lifestyle and consumed my fair share of diet soda over the past three years. But when I committed to giving up aspartame a few months back, I knew it was time to eventually wean myself off of all diet sodas. In fact, I've actually given myself a head start on this one and went cold turkey on them since Wednesday. Yes, I miss them, but I'm committing to drinking even MORE water than I do already. So far, so good.

4. Consistency with cardio workouts

Everyone who knows me will tell you I am a workout fiend. Since I began my low-carb program, I have committed myself fully to walking on the treadmill, getting on the elliptical machine, playing volleyball at my church and many other aerobic activities that get my heart rate up and makes me sweat. I LOVE cardio workouts tremendously! But I noticed in 2006 that I'd allow myself to slack off to only 30 minutes per day and sometimes skipping a day or two here and there. It's not a big deal, but enough for me to want to resolve to be more consistent with my cardio in 2007. I will be!

5. Get serious about resistance training

I have to admit, I HATE lifting weights. I tried it for the first time in 2006 and did it for about two months before I just gave it up. Sure, I felt somewhat better while I was doing it, but I guess I got bored. I would much rather go run on the treadmill. But, resistance training is important in the grand scheme of health and I KNOW I need to get serious about it. I'm working with a trainer who will help me develop a fun plan for getting solid. If my loose skin doesn't get better after all of this weight lifting, then I KNOW I will be having a tummy tuck done.

So that's it! Those are Jimmy Moore's 5 New Year's Health Resolutions for 2007 and I fully intend to do them all. I'm all about incremental changes and believe in my heart that NOW is the right time to do these things for myself. Of course, you know I'll keep you informed about my progress on each one at my blog and will share with you my success as it happens.

There's no doubt I'll hit the weight loss goal with the focus on reducing my body fat and lifting weights. I should be able to hit my body fat percentage goal as well and remaining consistent on the cardio. While it will be tough, giving up diet sodas shouldn't be that hard either. The most difficult one will be the weight lifting. I'm PUMPED to do this, so I think I'll be ready to show off my improved physique before the end of 2007. Again, I'm skeptical about it doing much for my loose skin, but here's hoping!

That's my New Year's resolutions for better health in 2007. What are YOURS?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoyu lifting weight, even if I never see any benefit. Women have a hard time building muscle, and I seem to have a really hard time. I would kill to get to 21% body fat, but I've been stuck at 24% for ages, no matter how many weights I lift.

I'm pretty sick at the moment, but when I get back to full strength I'll be back at the gym, fighting the new years resolutioners for several weeks. Eventually most of them will give up and let me have my weights and machines back!

12/31/2006 10:16 PM  
Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

Great New Years Resolutions Jimmy!

I know most people are very negative about New Years Resolutions, but I don't see the problem in using the New Year to get fired up again!

It's going to be a fantastic Low Carb year for everyone!

1/01/2007 7:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here's my New Year's Resolutions.

1/01/2007 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home