MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Low-Carb Lifer Finishes Weight Loss Race

I recently received an e-mail from a 5'2" tall diabetic woman who has finally reached her goal weight of 118 pounds this month after restarting her low-carb lifestyle way back in November 1999--OVER SEVEN YEARS AGO! This was a long but steady race for her and now she stands proud to be livin' la vida low-carb to this very day for the sake of her weight and health.

Starting off weighing in at 162 pounds and failing to control her diabetes using the "doctor's diet" of a low-fat, high-carb diet, my reader decided to go back to a way of eating that had worked for her nearly three decades before--the Atkins diet. She remembered how the popular low-carb plan from the late Dr. Robert C. Atkins had worked so well for her in the past although she never thought of it as a permanent lifestyle change as we do nowadays.

So why not now? The lessons she had learned about carbohydrates from Dr. Atkins previously would certainly serve her well again, especially now that she has diabetes to contend with.

"I figured out that if I didn't eat carbs I wouldn't have high blood sugar. But I did have to endure a year of harassment from the doctor even as I lost weight and felt great."

Yeah, those doctors can be ruthless if not purposely then at the very least through blissful ignorance. But by following her chosen low-carb program exactly as prescribed with the occasional visits to the Chinese restaurant and a nibble or two of low-carb chocolates and Atkins ice cream, the result she experienced was nothing short of miraculous--45 pounds GONE FOREVER representing a 28 percent loss of her starting weight which she describes as "a good place for me to be!" WOO HOO! That's super!

About a year ago, she gave up all artificial sweeteners and replaced them with more berries and nuts, especially her favorite--pistachios. As a result, her HA1C level, the compass of health for any diabetic, has been brought way down to a very safe 4.8. Amazing!!!

She took her time on the last 10 pounds and didn't care how long it took.

"I figured if it happened, great and if it was an impossibly low number at least I would always think of myself as being in Atkins Stage 3, not maintenance, therefore needing to be more vigilant."

Oh, wouldn't it be great if we all have that kind of attitude when it comes to keeping our weight down once we reach our goal?! On the advice of her chiroprator, she gave up caffeine a little over a month ago which has helped her sleeping pattern as well as blood sugar levels. And today she weighs a very petite 118 pounds for the first time since she was 12 years old! WOWsers!

She more than anyone else understands how I want to feel wanting to be 199 again for the first time since I was 11! That's my weight loss goal currently and, like my reader, I don't care how much longer it takes me to get there--I'LL GET THERE!

"I hope to celebrate that day with you when you see your 199! Your dedication to spreading the word brings so much to so many who get discouraged by the anti-Atkins people out there. Thanks for your continuing inspiration!"

Gee, thanks so much and the same to ya! What an encouraging story of tenacity and triumph in your low-carb lifestyle. You have a lot to be proud of and there is no doubt in my mind that you will share with so many people within your inner circle of friends and family the change that has happened in you. GO GET 'EM GIRL!

At this moment, I know if I had my abdominoplasty that my weight would be under 200 pounds already. But until that happens (someday!), I'll keep trudging downward until the scale hits 1-9-9 (I'm at 216 right now)! What a day that will be!

My reader concluded that her low-carb weight loss success means we now need to "chalk up another win for the late, great Dr. Atkins!" YEAH BABY!

YOU BET WE DO! CONGRATULATIONS and keep on livin' la vida low-carb!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger abbiapple said...

Low carb diets are dangerous, especially for athletes. Without sufficient glycogen in your muscles, your body will struggle to produce ATP (the energy molecule for all muscle actions). Athletes need carbs. YOU need carbs. Your body can not synthesize protein without glycogen. Glycogen comes from carbs.

Maintaining a constant state of ketosis puts your liver, pancreas and heart at serious risk.

Why not eat whole grains, fruits, veggies and low-fat meats and yogurts? Why not try eating small meals 6-8 times a day?

Have you Atkins people had your cholesterol checked lately?

Just something to think about...

In health,
Audrie

12/10/2006 10:49 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Oh my gosh, Audrie, I didn't know low-carb diets were dangerous. WOW, these three years that I've been on low-carb losing nearly 200 pounds and I NEVER even heard about this?! OH NO, WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?! Perhaps I should go back to eating "normal" again since you say my body needs carbs.

I can't believe I so willingly put my body at serious risk as you say, although I've never felt more healthier in my entire life. Strange!

So what I need to eat is more fruits and veggies as well as multiple meals daily, eh? That'll keep my cholesterol in line, according to you? Oh, I'll really need to think about this for a good long time, Audrie.

WAKE UP LADY! Do you REALLY think people who are livin' la vida low-carb haven't heard ALL of these pitiful excuses before?! We understand your fearmongering for what it is: a lack of knowledge and an ignorance about what "low-carb" actually entails.

I've addressed each of these issues before at my blog, so please reference the following posts:

- Low-carb and athletes
- The "body needs carbs" nonsense
- The heart health myth
- Low-carbers eat more veggies
- Whole grains aren't all that great
- Low-fat diets failed me
- Cholesterol health looks at HDL and trigycerides

If you are GENUINELY interested in learning more, Audrie, then I suggest you start with those and do a little research before spouting off your mouth about something you OBVIOUSLY know little to nothing about.

THANKS for sharing your comments and come back for another lesson soon! :)

12/11/2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What Jimmy said.

Yes, my cholesterol is fine. Have you had yours checked?

My liver produces all the glycogen I need from protein. You don't need carbs to produce glycogen; protein will do just fine.

Do some research. Carbs aren't necessary to life or we as a human species wouldn't be around today.

Please show the studies to back up your claims - actual scientific studies, not scare tactics written by PETA.

Read up on the science and the studies out there. They all prove that low carb is healthy - often healthier than low-fat. (Tastes better, too!)

12/12/2006 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home