MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A Cardiologist's Diet? I Don't Think So!


My high school friend Laura Creekmore wants to "eat better"

One of my favorite blogs to pay a visit to every now and then is one called "Fixin' Supper," a fun cooking blog dedicated to the culinary desires of its author Laura Creekmore. Of course, I am a bit biased in favor of checking out this blog since Laura is a long-time friend of mine from high school. You may recall I featured her and her blog at "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" last year.

Anyways, I was looking around Laura's blog today and noticed she mentioned my name in a blog post she called "Eating Like A Cardiologist." Hmmm, sounds like it oughta be interesting, so I kept reading.

It turns out, Laura is thinking about trying to eat better for the sake of her health and to set a good example for those beautiful kids of hers. Despite the fact that she was the captain of the cheerleading squad in high school (oh how time flies when you're living life, huh Laura!), she now struggles to eat right in her mid-30's. Can I get a witness anyone? :D

The neat thing is Laura has two prominent weight loss success stories--both of which happen to be the result of livin' la vida low-carb--in her life.

"I'm surrounded by South Beach and Atkins successes, but frankly, they always seemed faddish to me," Laura quibbed at her blog. "Not that there aren't good ideas in both--well, heck, just ask my friend Jimmy Moore or NYC sister about the positive effects of these plans."

Even still, she has "resisted" the urge to jump into this way of eating full-fledged. But she does recognize that both me and her sister see our low-carb diets as more than just a way to lose weight, but actually they are "lifestyle transformations." ABSOLUTELY, Laura, and yet...

"And, this, too, I resisted," she admitted.

LOL! What a paradox! Laura knows WHAT to do and the WHY behind it, yet she isn't convinced it's right for her? The constant back and forth of this food is good for you, no wait now it's bad for you headlines has thoroughly confused Laura over the years about what is right for her. She has come to the realization she'd "rather eat barbecue than live to be 100." I think many can relate to that sentiment, Laura!

Self-describing herself as "a reasonably healthy person," Laura says her kids keep her accountable and she loves to exercise regularly (of course, carrying around a little munchkin all the time will give you a hearty workout!).

I think Laura also speaks for most people when she says "if I'm not having fun while I'm here, what's the point?"

True! Which is why it is important to find something that works for you, keeps you healthy, maintains your weight, and is STILL pleasurable. For me and your sister, that has been livin' la vida low-carb. For others, it could be eating a vegetarian or vegan diet. To each his own and nobody should judge us about OUR choices.

The "tipping point" for Laura came when she read the cover story of the February 2006 issue of National Geographic (go to Laura's blog for the link!). In it, she noticed that the cardiologists quoted in the story ate NOTHING but health food and were all taking so-called cholesterol-lowering statin drugs like Lipitor and Crestor. Don't get me started on statins again!

Laura has the right perspective about this healthy eating discussion.

"I do NOT need another medication...trust me, I'm over my lifetime quotient...but I can certainly eat better."

Good for you, Laura, and I'm VERY proud of you for realizing this in your life. That's a rarity these days because most people are simply unwilling to even CONSIDER making changes until something bad happens to them like a heart attack or stroke.

If more people started thinking about what their health is going to be like in five, ten, even twenty years from now, then perhaps they could prevent the inevitable onset of such diseases as diabetes, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, and cancer, just to name a few. There's no time like the present to get healthy!

I love that part when she says she'd "rather eat barbecue than live to be 100."

Hee hee! Actually, Laura, if you eat the barbecue and combine it with a solid low-carb plan, then you very well COULD live to be 100 years old because you will be eating the healthiest diet on the planet! Eat those non-starchy and green leafy vegetables as well as low-glycemic fruits like berries and you'll see remarkable positive effects on both your weight and health. YOU CAN DO IT!

If you'd like to send your encouragement to my friend Laura Creekmore about her newfound desire to eat better, then e-mail her by clicking here.

By the way, let me give some props to Laura for being featured in The Tennesseean newspaper recently for her work with Internet groups in the Nashville, Tennessee area. WOO HOO! Can I have your autograph, Laura! :D

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

The Atkins Diet is a cardiologist's diet!

That's what Dr. Robert C. Atkins was!

LOL

2/07/2007 7:50 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Yes, I know, Dave! But my friend Laura noticed that ALL of the cardiologists quoted in that article she read were taking statins and eating "healthy" (low-fat, low-calorie, portion control).

Isn't it ironic that Dr. Atkins was never given the proper respect for giving his opinions about diet and health from the perspective of a cardiologist? Aren't they unassailable on this subject?

Great food for thought, Dave!

2/07/2007 10:12 PM  
Blogger lcreekmo said...

Jimmy, You are so kind with are your thoughts here and I REALLY appreciate the encouragement. Actually, just two days into my new "lifestyle" -- I don't want to call it a resolution b/c that sounds like something you fail at LOL -- someone offered me a cookie at work -- normally I'd be first on the bandwagon! But because I had a PLAN, and a REASON for my eating, I was surprised at how easy it was to say no.

One cookie may not seem like a big deal, but it was also easy to turn down the doughnuts this week too. :)

Little things add up!

2/07/2007 10:41 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Now you're cookin', Laura! You keep that steel resolve and don't let ANYTHING deter you from this pathway to better health. I want to see you at our 20-year HS reunion in 2009 as that healthy and vibrant woman I knew back at BCHS in the late 80s. YOU CAN DO IT! :)

2/07/2007 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home