MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, February 12, 2007

Going Nuts Over Fresh Low-Carb Donuts


Yes, Virginia, you can now have donuts on your low-carb lifestyle

People who start livin' la vida low-carb generally have to make a choice--permanently change their old eating habits away from the high-carb foods that have long plagued their weight and health or find some low-carb alternatives that will fulfill and satisfy their desires. If you want to be successful with your low-carb plan, then there's no negotiating this point.

But what if that food you used to love before you started low-carbin' it was the worst possible food you can eat on a low-carb diet--DONUTS! Yeppers, that's quite a conundrum to overcome because up until now there hasn't been anything even remotely close to the authentic taste of real donuts for people who are livin' la vida low-carb.

Thankfully, though, all of that has changed and now there is! It's called Dixie Carb Counters Bakery Style Donut Mix made by our friends at Dixie Diner. I will admit to you that I was quite skeptical about making these donuts the first time I did it because I really didn't think they would taste very good at all based on some of the other so-called "donut" products for low-carbers in the past. Somebody should slap me with a wet noodle for doubting--these low-carb donuts are AWESOME, baby!


The Dixie Diner low-carb donuts are baked in a special pan, not fried

You can pick your favorite flavored--either chocolate, glazed, or powdered--donut mix, stir in a little butter and heavy cream, pour the batter in your donut pan, and wait for the tintillating and familiar aroma to fill your kitchen in about 15 minutes for that one-of-a-kind donut taste you have always known and loved. I really wouldn't have believed it if I didn't try them for myself.

With 8g fiber, 6g protein, and only 2g net carbs per donut, what a delightful treat to have every once in a while without sacrificing your low-carb plan. This mix does not contain any sugar alcohols and cooks up 6 hot and delicious low-carb donuts for you and your family to enjoy. There is an optional donut holes recipe included on the back of the packaging as well.

If you don't eat all of the donuts you make, then they will stay fresh in your freezer for you to heat up and eat as a healthy low-carb snack later on. Do you know what I did to spruce up my low-carb donuts even more? Mr. Smarty Pants here thought about donuts from his childhood and remembered, "Oh yeah, how about a JELLY donut?!" So, I took some of my Splenda-sweetened Smucker's jelly and scooped a dab of it in the middle of one of the powdered donuts for my own homemade low-carb jelly donut. SWEET...LITERALLY! :) But NOT with sugar and that's way cool!

Try the Dixie Carb Counters Bakery Style Donut Mix for yourself and see if you agree with me that it's the best donut you've ever had on a low-carb diet hands down! Mmmm mmmm!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I hate to disagree with you Jimmy but I tried these last night and I had to throw them away.
I ate about 3/4 of one and began to have a terrible burning sensation in my mouth and throat. The feeling didn't stick around but neither did the donuts.

2/05/2008 12:57 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Sorry you didn't like them, Karen. Win some, lose some. :)

2/05/2008 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had Dixie Diner's pecan sticky buns from their mix and it is absolutely incredible. I was low-carbing at the time and it was a spectacular sweet treat. I haven't tried the donuts yet.. I want to but I'm a "from scratch" kind of girl so I keep trying to find a recipe that uses low carb flours and other ingredients to make my own. I have to guess that Karen isn't a low-carber because everything I've had from Dixie Diner is wonderful and I'm betting the donuts are no exception. But I know that people who eat sugar that try low carb foods don't always like them. Having sugar in your system changes the flavor of alternatively sweetened foods.

8/10/2008 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home