MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Low-Carb Cinnamon Buns From Dixie Diner


Hot and sweet sticky buns--without the sugar and white flour!

It's a sad fact, but most of my childhood memories are about food.

When I was growing up, my momma used to have a tradition on Sunday morning before we went to church. What did she do? She bought those 99 cent cans of cinnamon buns with the little plastic container of sugary icing that would melt on top of the rolls as they came hot out of the oven in about 15 minutes.

Between my brother Kevin and I, it didn't take long to devour that whole cookie sheet of these in very short order. Is it any wonder how we got to be so morbidly obese as adults? If I had known better as a child, then I would have avoided those unhealthy high-carb breakfast disasters like the plague.

I didn't then, but I do now. But that doesn't mean I don't like the taste of cinnamon buns today. What can I do, though, since I'm avoiding sugar and white flour? Is there really such a thing as low-carb cinnamon buns?

YEP, there sure is! They are the Dixie Carb Counters Glazed Cinnamon Bun Mix from Dixie Diner. I was privileged enough to try these new low-carb cinnamon buns for myself today and the aroma was so nostalgic!

Warm and relaxing smells of cinnamon filled up my kitchen as this quick and easy mix was baking up hot and fresh in less than 10 minutes. All I needed to add to the mix was butter, heavy whipping cream, and a large egg. That's it!

Of course, the instructions called for rolling up the dough into buns with the cinnamon mixture on top. Too confusing to me! Instead, I just pressed most of the dough in the bottom of a pan, spread the cinnamon stuff on top of that, and then put the rest of the dough on top of that just prior to putting it in the 375-degree oven.


The nutritional label and ingredients are top notch!

I was quite surprised that the texture and taste were just as I remembered it. Thankfully, though, I only consumed 3g net carbs per serving (you get 8 buns from this package!). Yummy to my tummy! The leftovers easily freeze and make a great sweet snack for breakfast or anytime!

With 6g fiber and 3g protein per cinnamon bun, the Dixie Carb Counters Glazed Cinnamon Bun Mix gives you a delicious and healthy version of something you thought you'd never get to eat again on your low-carb lifestyle. Now you can!

For a special low-carb dessert, warm one of these up in the microwave with a scoop of CarbSmart vanilla ice cream on top. Oh my gosh, this stuff's the bomb, baby! Let me know if you try these cinnamon buns. They're amazing!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmy,
It's good to be back, but better yet, thank goodness you're still doing your thing, too--the world needs guys like you, friend.
Take care,
Adam

5/17/2007 4:42 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS, Adam, and welcome back! So, when will we see a sequel to your fantastic debut book? You could call it "The Diet King Strikes Back!" LOL!

5/17/2007 5:15 PM  
Blogger Robert Angel said...

Those buns sound good but realistically, processed foods area really not a good idea, regardless of there low-carb status. I understand the craving, believe me you, but I would only suggest this as a "cheat" day for eating them.

5/17/2007 10:03 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS, Robert, but that's a "healthy" cheat if you ask me. Obviously don't eat these every single day, but I'd rather people eat this over the very high-carb regular versions any day of the week.

5/17/2007 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home