MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Inspired By Huckabee, Finds Low-Carb Lifestyle

During my radio interview this morning on WBTC-AM's Dial & Speak program with host Andrea Fanti in Ohio, we discussed the positive impact my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog is having on the thousands of readers who visit each day. Sometimes, I just don't have any idea until I receive an e-mail or a call from those who share how I have helped change their lives. That's an awesome responsibility I take very seriously.

When I wrote earlier this week about some of the criticism I've been getting from those who oppose my current decision to be on the Kimkins diet, I shared in that blog post that this was MY decision about what was best for ME.

Here's an excerpt of what I wrote on Monday:

"Regardless of what anyone else thinks about my personal decision to begin Kimkins, it really doesn't matter to me the opinions of others. Why? Because this is not about them, it's about ME and my quest to not just maintain my previous weight loss but to produce some additional weight loss to get my weight below 200. As a constant purveyor of individual responsibility as it relates to weight loss and health and finding what's right for you, I'm merely following my own good advice."

That paragraph precipitated a response from a reader from Louisiana who said he is thankful that he found my blog recently and that he too is taking this journey doing it in his own way that's right for him and his family.

Here's what he wrote to me in his e-mail:

Hi Jimmy,

I've been reading your blog for about a month now and really enjoy it. I've thought about writing but held off, figuring you were inundated with emails and one more would just add to your overload. But after reading today's blog, I just had to write to say thank you.

I have been big all my life and have ballooned up to 319 at my largest. Recently I'd been hovering around 305-310, not knowing what to do. I needed inspiration.

Oddly enough I got inspiration from the strangest of places. I was watching the Republican candidate debate on the Fox News channel and was impressed with Mike Huckabee from Arkansas. I decided to do a little research on him and found that he had lost over 100 pounds in less than a year on Atkins.

In studying further about how he did it I discovered your web site, bookmarked it, and subsequently subscribed to the RSS feed to read it every day.

I know that's probably one of the oddest inspirations anyone has ever had, but it worked for me. I felt like if Mike Huckabee could lose weight with the pressure of the Governor's office on him, I could lose weight too! I started reading your blog and many others and chose to begin livin' la vida low-carb!

I'm not following anyone else's plan, I'm just making good choices about every meal based on what I want my body to look like. I tell people I'm not on a diet because a diet is when someone else tells you what to eat. I'm eating what I want to eat...I've just changed my wants!

So far I've lost 23 pounds in a month and it's still coming off! My family is getting inspired and my wife and daughters are joining me. We're having fun experimenting with recipes, looking up fun foods to eat and encouraging each other.

I just wanted to say "thank you" for your writing. I don't know about what others are saying about you, but I've been inspired and encouraged by your writings. Thanks!


When I am pushed down into the ground and kicked by people who just want to see me go away, along comes edification like this that reminds me why I started blogging to begin with.

Yes, there are nasty people out there who will hate me with every fiber of their being no matter what I do. I understand it in some ways, but in other ways it's unfathomable.

But thank the good Lord for the power of a changed life because of something I have written about here. If the impact of this blog is to inspire those who need to lose weight and get healthy, then all the many hours I have poured into it for more than two years has been worth it.

Incidentally, I'm trying to set up either a written interview or a podcast interview with Gov. Mike Huckabee about his weight loss. He's a long shot right now to become the next President of the United States, but so was another former Arkansas governor about this time sixteen years ago.

Wouldn't it be incredible to have the leader of the free world be someone with triple digit success because of livin' la vida low-carb? ;) Wish me luck getting that interview.

6-29-07 UPDATE: The Mike Huckabee campaign caught wind of my reader's testimonial about being inspired by the former Arkansas governor's tremendous low-carb weight loss success today. WELCOME to "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" and stick around a while! :)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was unable to tune in to that broadcast, since the timing was nearly impossible with my schedule, but I was curious if it would be possible to make a transcript of the entire thing or perhaps a 'bonus podcast' available somehow... I didn't want to miss it, but my schedule simply would not allow it :(

Thanks for your time,
~AC in PA~

6/28/2007 11:42 PM  
Blogger l4k said...

Maybe I should look into what Huckabee stands for. He obviously doesn't simply believe in discredited conventional wisdom. Maybe I will send Ron Paul an email to see where he stands on Low Carb.

6/29/2007 8:37 AM  
Blogger Pot Kettle Black said...

Jimbo,

Good going. You're getting back to your goal and you're changing people's lives.
Your persecution complex, however, is a little gross though.
Nice redesign on the site. Now, if only a link to recent posts would be easily available on one of the panels, for those of us who get it through RSS and don't want to go back to the feeder (igoogle in my case) or load the main page (lotta pictures...)

Any rate, rock on.

6/29/2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I'm working on it, Lewis. If it can happen, I'll make it happen. :D

THANK YOU, too, Pot Kettle Black. Sorry if you feel I have a "persecution complex" but I've never been so berated for making such a personal decision for ME ever before. I'll ease up on it...PROMISE! :)

Glad you like the new design. Been working hard on it with professionals who know what they're doing. ;) We'll get the bugs worked out soon.

6/29/2007 9:26 AM  
Blogger renegadediabetic said...

Jimmy, I don't think Kimkins is for me, but if it works for you, great. I'm glad to hear you are losing again, regardless of what the naysayers say.

I wasn't aware that Mike Huckabee did it with Atkins. dLife featured him on one of their shows, but didn't say how he did it. Even though dLife includes debate over low carb, I guess they just can't show success from Atkins. He wrote a good endorsement of "Sugar Shock," commenting that getting off sugar and refined carbs helped him.

6/29/2007 10:59 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Yep, Atkins is was. It's funny to watch all these people lose weight on the Atkins diet and then they get a case of amnesia when people ask how they did it.

Um, I cut, er, uh, sugar and, uhmmmm, starchy foods...yeah, that's what I did.

Come on people, be bold and proud of your Atkins diet experience. I am and forever will be grateful and indebted to the late great Dr. Robert C. Atkins for the change he helped bring to my life.

God rest your soul, Dr. Atkins!

6/29/2007 11:08 AM  
Blogger Pot Kettle Black said...

So, there's stigma with the mass and Atkins. I don't do atkins, I do protein power, but when people ask me what I did to lose, I tell them I cut out sugar and starch, got adequate protein, and do sensible but tough workouts. It's functional advice. If they ask if I followed a plan, I tell them PP LifePlan. But I dunno that that holds any meaning to your average person on the street without an explanation.

Atkins has a lot of prejudgement with it. Big Fat Lynn, a woman I work with, says she knows people who raised their cholesterol and ruined their health with LC. I'm assuming it was her, because she was very dismissive when I started and progressively cattier as I progressed. Plus, Atkins is as dead as fried chicken. He doesn't care anymore.

6/29/2007 1:52 PM  
Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

Jimmy, I wanted you to see this! I hope you don't mind but it speaks so pointedly to what is in fact a good diet! Here are the meals I ate today, about the same as yesterdays! Sausage and eggs for breakfast about 10 o'clock! 35 Cents and 70 cents, tasted great and very satisfying. Then just now, about 3:30 in the early afternoon here, that's about five hours since breakfast. I cooked a pound and a half of boneless beef roast cut into steaks at $2.49 a pound. I fried this in the left over sausage grease from this morning along with three eggs. Stupefyingly good is all I can say. I am beautifully filled. By the time tomorrow mornings breakfast roles around I will be hungry enough to enjoy it very well again. $1.05 for breakfast and $4.10 for lunch = $5.15 for the day. Don't forget I drink nothing but water and never snack and only eat two meals a day! That's all I can eat. I am totally filled. I have absolutely no desire to snack or eat anything! This from a guy who could and did eat just about non-stop from sun up to sun down and sometimes more! My system has regulated itself!

6/29/2007 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home