MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Don't Let Anyone Try To 'Talk You Out Of' Your Low-Carb Lifestyle

One of the most difficult diets you could ever go on has got to be a low-carb diet. It's not because of the diet itself, but rather the reaction you will receive from others when they find out you are livin' la vida low-carb.

I'm not sure when it became so taboo to choose a nutritional approach like this one to bring about weight and health improvements when it has been shown in studies to be just as effective if not better than the low-fat diet. Even respected scientific researcher Dr. Michael Dansinger says the low-carb diet has been too quickly dismissed by the health "experts" and deserves a fair shake in the diet debate.

And yet the boo birds who oppose the low-carb life will kick and scream like a bratty little 2-year-old trying to discourage you from doing that diet that's right for you. I've never understood the fascination by the anti-low-carb crowd to be so brash and arrogant in their admonishment of those of us who have chosen to eat this way to manage our weight and health.

Maybe they are jealous of our success and are desperate to keep others from finding the answer to their obesity and health ailments. Sounds crazy, but who knows what these people are thinking. Or ARE they even thinking?! Got me?

All I know is livin' la vida low-carb works for me and has been for nearly four years. When I weighed in at 410 pounds in January 2004, I had high hopes that this would be the last diet I would ever go on. I'm not sure I was completely convinced at the time when I started, but losing 100 pounds in the first few months made a believer out of me! And I've never lost my zeal and passion for low-carb living ever since!

I got the best little e-mail the other day from a man who is 65 years old and on the Atkins diet. He lost 64 pounds in eighteen weeks back in 1999 and has been livin' la vida low-carb ever since. This man has a lot of simple, yet practical advice for anyone who is on the low-carb lifestyle for the long haul about how to transition from the "diet" to the "lifestyle."

Here's what he wrote in the e-mail:

Dear Jimmy,

I have learned many things about dieting. I read almost every diet book and tried most of them. I learned exactly what I wasn’t willing to tolerate the rest of my life!

The biggest secret for long term success is becoming an expert on the subject. The more you know about your diet, the more likely you are to succeed.

Learn to be a great cook, not just a good one. Learn so much about this lifestyle that no one will ever be able to talk you out of it. This is the best advice I can pass on to anyone serious about maintaining their health and appearance.

When I go to a restaurant I tell them exactly how my meals should be prepared! I do nearly all my own food preparation and have become a great cook!

When my wife can tell our friends that I like a “little fish with my butter” there can be no doubt that this is the “greatest diet” in the world! NEVER GIVE UP! YOU’RE WORTH IT!


WOW, that's totally awesome! I'd love to see this guy start his own blog and share his little nuggets of wisdom and truth about livin' la vida low-carb on a regular basis. Straightforward advice written in a no-nonsense, been-there-done-that style that makes you wanna listen to everything he has to say. Reminds me of somebody else I know. :D

It turns out this gentleman found out about my blog from low-carb cooking goddess Dana Carpender when she told her readers about my blog last year. And he's been hooked ever since.

Dana suggested we seek you out. Wow! I just couldn't believe my luck! You have the greatest site ever! I have listened to every one of your podcasts. They are wonderful! FAR TOO SHORT! They could never be long enough!

Do you think he's a little excited? LOL! Hey, I'm just happy to be able to share from my own low-carb experiences and I can tell from the reaction I received from this very kind man that he has been hoping to find others who believe just as he does. This incredible lifestyle change is the greatest thing that ever happened to him in his life just as it was for me. Neither of us will EVER be the same again.

Nobody will ever replace the late great Dr. Robert C. Atkins, but this man thinks I will someday.

I have no doubt that you are going to do for low-carb what even "the great one" (Dr. Robert C. Atkins) was unable to fully accomplish. You will be having unbelievable success in the very near future with the "low carb movement." Of this I have no doubt! Keep up the great work and will be following your "GREAT WORDS OF WISDOM' from now on.

THANK YOU very much for those extremely generous remarks and I only hope to live up to the expectations that I have for myself in all that I do. In some ways, I have experienced much of the same level of backlash from the low-fat vegetarian groups that Dr. Atkins did when he was trumpeting low-carb when low-carb wasn't cool. But it is my duty to share the truth and let others decide what's right for them.

They attack me and others in the low-carb community because they know we have found a nutritional approach that is scientifically sound and backed by the evidence--and it's tearing them apart on the inside knowing we have the truth on our side! Someday soon we will see a major paradigm shift happen when the high-carb, low-fat diet gig will finally be up. No more low-fat letdown--it will be time for livin' la vida low-carb to shine instead!

Oh what a day that will be! :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Weighing in at 226 today, up from 224.

Yesterday I went to a friend's birthday cookout and eat a number of things I normally don't, including a lot of salt.

In earlier days this might be an excuse to break down and eat anything for days until I was able to regain control. But I now recall and use a tip I got from Dr. Stillman so many years ago: The day after I eat a lot of carbs, I follow up with an all-protein day.

It's not hard to do and it works to empty the new glyogen stores and promote renewed ketosis as quickly as possible.

Was nice to know, yesterday, in any event, that although I hit the carb-laden hors d'oeuvres with impunity at the party beginning, I had little appetite left for the main course. This is a good indication that my stomach has shrunk and my appetite sensitivity has been restored.

Next time I'll avoid this problem at party beginning by talking to myself before I arrive about what I'm going to and not going to eat.

The trend is my friend. I'm still well out of the 230s and on my way down.

7/22/2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I'm proud of you, Gary! I'm away from my home scale until Friday morning, so hopefully I at least maintain my weight at the 216 I was BEFORE my trip. :)

7/22/2007 5:31 PM  
Blogger BlueJitz said...

I just found your blog, and love it! I've gone from a woman' size 22 pants to a 10, and am on my weigh (pun intended) to a size 6 doing the low-carb way (my plan also restricts calories to some extent). I've dropped over 70 pounds, and have about 15 to go to goal weight. The most amazing thing about this lifestyle is the amount of energy I have now....

I tried to transition to eating "healthy" amounts of carbs...whole wheat bread, fresh fruit. But my body rebels! It senses my eating carbs as an excuse to eat ice cream! Ok...I know it's my fault that I actually cave in to the cravings when I'm off the low-carb plan, but I never crave carbs when I'm eating low-carb!

I exercise 4 times a week, at least...but not for the weight loss, but becasue I love martial arts! Finding an exercise I love is so amazing...and the low-carb life is what gave me the energy to do it!

Thanks for what you do.

7/23/2007 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home