MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Friday, July 06, 2007

Who Is Kimmer Behind The Kimkins Diet?

Of all the things to talk about within the realm of livin' la vida low-carb, would you like to guess what topic has got all the low-carb forums going absolutely bonkers right now? If you answered the Kimkins diet and its founder Kimmer, then you would be absolutely correct!


The magazine article that fueled the fire about Kimkins

With all the sudden attention on Kimkins ever since it was featured nationally last month on the front cover of Woman's World magazine, some people on these boards have been asking, "Who is Kimmer behind the Kimkins diet?"

I've even received a few e-mails from sincere low-carbers wagging their finger at me for promoting Kimkins when I should know better about just how unhealthy it is. Say what? A low-carb diet is "unhealthy?" Hmmm, where have I heard that one before?

So my response to this was to begin the Kimkins diet for myself in early June. If I wanted to see with my own eyes what this diet could do, then why not try it? That's exactly what I did.

The results have been PHENOMENAL for me:

- 13 pounds LOST in the first four days!
- 18 pounds LOST in the first week!
- 25 pounds LOST in the first three weeks!
- And after 32 days, I've lost 30 of my 50-pound weight loss goal!

To say that I'm impressed with this is an understatement. I knew it was an incredible diet, but I had no idea it would work this well. And I'm not the only one whose life is changing for the better.

But there are real concerns on two levels about Kimkins. The first level is about Kimmer herself and the second level is on various aspects of the Kimkins diet.

I acknowledge that people have lots of questions they would like to ask Kimmer, so I decided to contact her about doing a recorded interview with her for my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show" podcast. Last year I conducted a written interview via e-mail from her and it was wonderful.

Would she agree to do the podcast? I didn't really know, so I e-mailed her my cell phone number yesterday and asked her to call me. Within 30 minutes, my phone rang and it was Kimmer. We spoke for 45 minutes and I shared with her the concerns that are floating around out there within the low-carb community about her and her diet.

In the end, she agreed to be interviewed. I asked about doing one in person with her at her home or she could fly to meet me somewhere, but she has her personal reasons for not getting out in public to do something like this. I respect her privacy and have arranged another way.

While the previous interview was done through e-mail, this will be the first time we will hear the voice of Kimmer via the telephone which I will record for a future episode of my podcast show very soon.

So here's the deal: I'd like to give you the opportunity to provide me with the questions you want me to ask Kimmer in my interview. The floor is completely YOURS!

No question is off limits, so let's hear 'em all! Tell everyone who has questions to e-mail me at livinlowcarbman@charter.net with what they want Kimmer to answer. She says she's ready for them so they can all be put to rest once and for all.

Spread the word to the low-carb message boards and forums--an exclusive Kimmer interview featuring for the very first time ever her speaking directly about the issues that concern you most is imminent! Please send me your questions no later than Friday, July 13, 2007. THANKS!

One final thing: Somehow, my name has gotten negatively dragged into this discussion about Kimmer and Kimkins. I'm not sure what the thought process is about this, but the "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog is NOT a Kimkins blog. Although I lost 180 pounds in 2004 on the Atkins diet, it is not an Atkins blog either. Jimmy Moore does not equal Kimkins nor does it equal Atkins. Period.

The purpose of this blog is to provide information about "low-carb" and let people decide for themselves which plan they want to choose. I do not discriminate between the various low-carb plans that are out there, including the aforementioned Atkins and Kimkins as well as South Beach, Protein Power, The Zone, Sugar Busters, and all the rest of them you can read about in Jonny Bowden's book.

Any association I may have with Kimkins is no different than my relationship to the other low-carb diets I promote here. I just happened to lose the majority of my weight on the Atkins diet three years ago and now I've switched to Kimkins this year to get down to my ultimate goal of 198. My regular readers already know I share from my personal experiences. Nothing more, nothing less. It's what I do.

The bottom line is if you don't like Kimkins, then DON'T DO IT! But at the very least, find a plan that will work for you, follow that plan as it is written, and then keep doing that plan for the rest of your life. Livin' la vida low-carb has been an amazing miracle in my life and I hope that others will find it to be their ultimate weight management solution, too! Cheerio! :)

Labels: , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT opportunity, Jimmy! I've sent your article to my low carb groups. Thanks for all you do for us!

Tish

7/06/2007 8:35 PM  
Blogger Morgan MacLeoid said...

I'm glad to see this! The drama is getting heated and rather soap-opera-like. It would be grand to see it settled once and for all before anyone else gets dragged through the dirt on this one!

You're definitely willing to do your part and stand up strong in your decisions and choices, let's hope she will too! :)

7/06/2007 9:09 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

GREAT QUESTIONS so far! Keep 'em coming! :)

7/06/2007 9:32 PM  
Blogger Jake Silver said...

Wow, I have not been here in a while. LOVE the new look of your Blog! It's so much less cluttered. I'm going to scroll down now and catch up.

7/07/2007 8:23 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

And what is the reason why she wouldn't let YOU come to HER home? You never answered that one. You'd think she'd be willing to meet her biggest supporter for lunch, even at her own place.

Amazing how she can do a photoshoot for WW, which she talks about at her website - but she can't leave her house? How does she manage to volunteer in all of these places without leaving home?

Come on, another AUDIO interview proves ZILCH. Stop letting her play you for a fool, Jimmy. We deserve and expect more from you.

7/07/2007 4:56 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

DriveThruOnly, I can appreciate your concerns, but you got a few of your facts wrong already.

I explained in this post that she doesn't like being in public or having people around her. She has agoraphobia and I respect her wishes to offer other arrangements.

Describing me as "her biggest supporter" is a bit of a stretch. What I support is the Kimkins diet as an option for people who want and need to lose weight. But I've never met Kimmer other than via e-mail and that one telephone call the other day.

Incidentally, Kimmer did NOT have a photoshoot for Woman's World magazine. That was Christin and Deni. I don't think you've heard Kimmer talk about any photoshoot on her site, but Christin was proud of sharing her experience at her blog and rightfully so.

It's Kimmer's business how she wants to conduct herself and people should respect her privacy. I'm with you that I think it would be to her best advantage to release current photos of herself so people won't have the questions, but she has chosen not to.

Finally, your assertion that this is "another" audio interview is dead wrong. I have yet to hear a single audio interview with Kimmer and this will be the very first one. If you can provide a link to any previous ones, then I'm happy to stand corrected. But as it stands you are incorrect.

I have interviewed her via e-mail before, but it was not an audio interview. All of the answers were typed out and I never heard her voice. That is, until Thursday.

I'm not being played anything, my friend, except looking for the truth myself. That's EXACTLY what my readers deserve and expect from me and I'm giving it to them.

THANKS for your comments!

7/07/2007 5:06 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

I believe the Slamboard series stated that Catherine had spoken to Kimmer on the phone.

She doesn't like people around her? Is that why she's smiling so happily in those Classmates photos?

Come on, Jimmy, tell me you're not really buying all of that!! She says she's got a house full of foster/troubled kids!! Would a severe agoraphobic take in strange children with unknown problems? Funny how in all of these years of posting online that she's never mentioned this sudden affliction. But she's been married, had kids, volunteers everywhere, and fosters troubled kids - but suddenly she can't stand having people around her. What a load of crock.

This is so ridiculous. Well, I at least appreciate you trying, because I've been a reader of your blog for some time. But seriously, this audio interview proves nothing. So she speaks. So what. We all speak.

Suggest that she do a VIDEO conference. Webcams are $30 each now, no more excuses.

I'm sending the story to as many news outlets as I can get access to. If it pans out, great, it'll just be more fans for her. But if she can't step up to the plate and be real, then I pity the fallout she'll have to face when its done.

And sorry, NO, people can't just arbitrarily decide how they want to conduct their business, when their entire business is based on upon selling a lie.

7/07/2007 5:33 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

BTW, Jimmy - you can't tell me that you're not even in the least SUSPICIOUS about all of this????? Aren't there any bells going off in your head yet? I've seen some of her staunchest supporters start to question the whole thing now. It's really hard to stay neutral at this point.

7/07/2007 5:35 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Again, DriveThru, you need to check your facts before commenting. Go back and read the Slamboard posts again and you will notice Martin says Catherine NEVER spoke to Kimmer on the phone and there was no audio interview.

I'm not buying anything at this point which is why I am working on this interview. I pressed her about asking the hard questions people like yourself are wanting answers to and she agreed. Whether you agree or not, that is a HUGE first step to learning the truth.

Let me get this audio interview completed and let's see what happens from there. I understand your frustration to a certain degree and can appreciate you wanting me to be more aggressive about this.

At this point, my purpose for doing the interview is to address the suspicions directly. But, as I have stated many time, Kimkins to me is a diet and has nothing at all to do with Kimmer herself. She could be a cartoon character and I wouldn't care because I've lost 30 pounds in 33 days following a variation on her K/E diet.

Remaining neutral is the best position for me right now since I have been given the golden opportunity to not only speak with Kimmer by phone, but to record what she has to say in a podcast show.

Let's get past this interview first and decide from there what to do, if anything, afterwards.

Again, THANK YOU for your comments.

7/07/2007 6:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just to clarify a misunderstanding, Jimmy, I wrote in Part III, "My wife Catherine founded Kimkins.com with a woman she had never met before, and has never met to this day. This is not unusual — in the information age, people routinely enter into contracts with one another without meeting and sometimes without even talking on the telephone."

My statement that people frequently enter into contracts without even making phone calls was general. Catherine did in fact speak to Kimmer/Heidi on the phone at least once as the partnership was being formed. Details will follow in future installments of my series.

All the best with your interview,

Martin, www.Slamboard.com

7/07/2007 6:40 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS for the clarification, Martin. I didn't think you wrote that Catherine had spoken with Kimmer in your columns, but it's interesting to know that she did. But the claim that there has been an audio interview with Kimmer before is incorrect. THANK YOU again for clarifying!

7/07/2007 7:02 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Setting aside all of these other issues, Jimmy, what are the aspects of the Kimkins diet that people have concerns about. I've just finished reading Bowden's excellent book (can't thank you enough for that recommendation!) and because of the newness of Kimkins, it's not profiled against the other low-carb options.

7/07/2007 7:07 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Glad you enjoy Jonny Bowden's book, Rob. It's not so much the specifics of the Kimkins diet people are concerned about as much as it is the woman behind the diet named Kimmer.

Although, admittedly, there are concerns about too few calories by some people who do certain versions of Kimkins. The version I am doing is not calorie-restricted, so it has worked well for me and nobody has any qualms with it.

As long as you do your research, there's no reason you can't be successful at a Kimkins-like dietary approach.

7/07/2007 7:33 PM  
Blogger Scale Mistress said...

Jimmy-
Bravo to you for doing your level best to get to the bottom of the Kimmer mystery. I love your blog and think you provide some truly valuable information for those of us struggling with our weight and who know that low carb is the answer. Like you, I did Atkins several years ago with great success and when I decided to go back to a low carb lifestyle, I chose Kimkins as an experiment as an alternative low carb WOE. I am a Kimkins member and have lost 32 pounds on the program since mid April but that is just my experience. YMMV.

In this age of leaving nothing to the imagination, I think it is odd that she would go to such lengths to conceal her appearance but I think that those of us who are regular readers of your blog know that you will not be "dragged down" by this controversy. Keep doing what you are doing. We'll keep reading.

scaleslave.wordpress.com

7/08/2007 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home