MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Sunday, April 06, 2008

LLVLC On YouTube (Episode 32): Defining What Low-Carb Really Means


This low-carb food pyramid kinda defines what low-carb means

Before you can enter a debate of ideas about anything, it's generally a good idea to define exactly what you mean when you say certain terms. One word that is lazily thrown around like everyone KNOWS exactly what it means (kinda like "love" is these days) is "low-carb." But you and I both know the definition of that word can vary greatly from one person to the next. It's part of what makes explaining livin' la vida low-carb to somebody that much more difficult. And let's not even get started on the marketing of "low-carb" products these days.

In Episode 32 of "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb On YouTube," Christine and I set out to define what we mean when we say "low-carb." It's not rocket science people, but there are some who get sidetracked by what you mean when you express yourself with that term. It's one of the rationales behind having a stealth tactic for describing "low-carb" without actually using that term. Obviously, I DON'T subscribe to that theory and proudly use the term low-carb ALL the time. I'm livin' la vida low-carb, baby!

Find out what the word "low-carb" really means in today's video:



We already know that low-carb is the most nutrient-dense way to eat there is despite repeated claims by the media that the faddish low-carb "craze" is a whacked out way to eat. But you and I both know better because we live this lifestyle change day in and day out with amazing results. Anytime somebody questions my low-carb life, all I have to do is point to my weight loss and vastly improved health--shuts 'em up every time! How can they argue against positive personal experience? They can't!

Interestingly, people ask me "What is livin' la vida low-carb anyway?" all the time. Some wonder if it's a low-carb diet I came up with or what. I smile and say it's my way of expressing how the low-carb diet has radically changed my life forever. We all have our own little tweaks to make it work for us, but the basics are still there--keep your total carbohydrates (yes, even the so-called "healthy" whole grains) to a minimum, make sure you are eating enough fat for satiety and fuel (and whatever you do, don't mix low-carb with low-fat), and consume moderate amounts of protein at EVERY meal (again for satiety and weight loss). That's the template for a genuine low-carb diet that just plain works!

Watch any and all of our previous YouTube videos to get caught up on what we've done before. Make sure you also subscribe to our videos to join the hundreds who have become bona fide fans of "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb On YouTube." Let us know what you think and how we can improve our videos by e-mailing us your thoughts at livinlowcarbman@charter.net. We look forward to bringing you some fun videos from the ASBP conference in Phoenix next week. SEE YA!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Moby Dick said...

OK. I lost 140 lbs. by myself with just exercise and less eating. Now I have been stuck for over a year. I am desperate but I have tried low-carb before and it is very hard to find low-carb snacks that I can take to work. I cannot just bring a bag of ham with me and have it by the computer. I am going to check your site more to see if you have any ideas that can help me out.

4/07/2008 1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying the low carb diet, but one thing that bothers me is that all the vegetarians I know are skinny. Go to a vegetarian restaurant, and almost all the people who eat there are skinny. Look up studies of vegetarians and body mass index, and same thing: vegetarians are skinny (not all of them, of course, but on average they are way skinnier than omnivores.) Why do you think that is?

4/07/2008 7:55 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS Peter! But skinny doesn't mean "healthy" for these people. Plus, the lack of fat in their diet is noticeable if you look at them close up.

4/07/2008 12:07 PM  
Blogger JD said...

In answer to spider63: How about pork rinds or Slim Jims as a snack? Low carb nuts will do in a pinch like macademia or walnuts or almonds if your not a zero carb low carber.

4/07/2008 12:28 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Hi spider63. Congratulations!

Why can't you have a bag of ham by the computer? There are all sorts of great "lunch bags" these days which have various methods for keeping things cool if you don't have access to a fridge where you work.

If you don't object to artificial sweeteners (such as Sucralose, stevia, or sugar alcohols) you can buy low-carb, hi-fat, hi-protein bars which keep anywhere. You do have to check the labels very carefully.

There are lots of excellent low-carb cookbooks that should give you lots of ideas.

4/07/2008 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To spider63...

When I worked in an office, I took a small cooler bag with (at various times, NOT all at the same time!) string cheese or cubes of cheese; deli meat rollups where you take a slice of deli meat, spread with cream cheese and put small gherkins or maybe olives down the middle and roll them up; small 1 oz bags of peanuts or other nuts (from Costco); pork rinds and guacamole or a cream cheese spread; celery spread with peanut butter or pimento cheese or another cream cheese spread; raw broccoli and cauliflower with low carb ranch or blue cheese dressing to dip in; fixings for a protein shake that could be put together and shaken at my desk; hard-boiled eggs; leftover meat from dinner the night before; hamburger patties cooked ahead and spread with mayo and mustard in the middle. Honestly, I think it's very easy to find low-carb snacks to take! Just count the carbs ahead of time and work them into your daily carb allowance.

Carol

4/07/2008 6:52 PM  
Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

I take chuck steaks that I have cooked extra well done with no seasoning and then frozen in one gallon zip lock bags with me for my lunches and boiled eggs and pickles and water to drink. I eat like a king and feel great. The gallon bags make for a great no mess in my hands or lap kind of eating. The eggs I put in there own gallon zip lock and then I crack them in the bag and the peeling rolls off easily. I then dip them in the third zip lock with seasoning in it. This is not just good eating, this is great eating and trouble free and easy to make. I don't need eating utensils either. Just eat them right out of the bag while using the bag to keep the grease off from my hands. It's really easy to regulate when I want the frozen steaks to be thawed and ready to eat. I have done a lot of office work and this eating method works anywhere under any conditions. All my fellow workers and bosses see is me eating really healthy, delicious food and plenty of it. I often work from five in the morning until ten o'clock at night having eaten all three meals this way and usually six to ten weeks at a time, seven days a week in the spring and fall. There is no valuable time lost cooking and preparing either. I just grab my pre prepared zip locks and gallon of water and go. This is the greatest thing since the wheel. Delicious and sedating. I have to feel well in order to perform this much work properly. I feel great. Cold food eating is great.

4/07/2008 7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

spider,

I run a sugar free snacks review site at glucoholic.com that might be of some help to you. I'm a diabetic, as are a lot of my readers, and we're pretty much stuck with a restricted carb diet. Jimmy's blog is a great resource for us, so keep coming back here.

Best of luck on your low carb effort!

4/07/2008 8:54 PM  
Blogger Ross said...

I'm a little concerned about that food pyramid. It puts high-fat foods adjacent to fruit near the top of the pyramid and high-protein foods as the staples on the bottom of the pyramid.

Personally, as I've become more physically active, I've had to increase the amount of fat in my diet to avoid soreness in my kidneys as well as draining lethargy. Now, I'm eating about 70% of calories from fat (plenty of natural saturated fats in there from bovine, coconut, and palm sources) and my athletic endurance is back, my cholesterol blood numbers are better than ever, and that annoying lethargy is a thing of the past.

If my experience (and the experience of low-carb marathoners and triatheletes) is any indication, fats will eventually return triumphant as the superior caloric foundation for the active human body.

4/08/2008 9:36 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I agree, Ross! Fats should be at the bottom, too.

4/08/2008 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home