MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, July 14, 2008

LLVLC On YouTube (Episode 46): Cargill Introduces A New Stevia-Based Sweetener Called Truvia


I was in New York City for the Truvia™ first taste test

Last week, I told you I was gonna be in New York City for a quick trip to find out more about a new stevia-based sweetener product called Truvia™. As you know from my previous blog post about this joint effort between Cargill Foods and The Coca-Cola Company to bring stevia to the market, aggressive efforts are being made to get approval from the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) to sell stevia as a sweetener for the first time in the United States.



This is promising news for Americans who are seeking healthy NATURAL choices for sugar alternatives since Truvia is made from the sweetest part of the stevia leaf--rebiana. The very best-tasting stevia is then combined with the sugar alcohol erythritol as a bulking agent to create a very clean-tasting, maltodextrin-free substitute for sugar. And it's not bitter even in the least. I was VERY pleased with that since the major complaint most people have with stevia is the puckered-up face they get when they taste it. Not with Truvia.



In Episode 46 of "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb On YouTube," Christine and I share about my trip to the Rockefeller Center in New York City on July 9, 2008 as the people passing by the Truvia Greenhouse were given a golden opportunity to be some of the first people in the entire world to try this new product coming to store shelves in the Fall 2008. There was iced tea and lemonade available for people to try and most of them gave a very positive review of the Truvia. There were a few knuckleheads who refused to even try "nature's first zero-calorie sweetener," but it was their loss. This stuff is OUTSTANDING!

Learn more about Truvia and what makes it different in today's video:



If you're excited to try Truvia for yourself, then it is currently available for purchase online at Truvia.com and in a few select New York City stores. The immediate reaction I had to the Truvia when I tasted it was how much it resembled cotton candy. That's a good tasting product, I'd say! There is a bit of the "cooling" sensation from the erythritol, but it's not unpleasant. In fact, that gives it a very nice mouth feel to me and Truvia is just about as close to real sugar I have seen in a sweetener before! Try it for yourself and I'll be telling you more about this product when widespread availability hits later this year.

THANK YOU for watching "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb On YouTube." Please send us your comments at livinlowcarbman@charter.net and watch our previous YouTube videos anytime you'd like! Take a moment now to subscribe to our YouTube videos and catch the low-carb wave that's rolling across YouTube right now. :D We'll be back again soon for another fun and quirky video about the healthy low-carb lifestyle.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm excited about this! I've been hoping for a good tasting natural sweetener to come along, and it looks like this might be it. I'm particularly impressed they are not using maltodextrin as a bulking agent. I believe I'm going to order a box!

7/14/2008 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am new to your blog and only a month old low carber...but I was wondering are you against using splenda? You seem to promote stevia products, not thats its a bad thing, just wondering.
Tanna

7/14/2008 10:17 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS Tanna! I'm not personally against Splenda, but I think finding more natural sugar alternatives is better. That's why I talk about stevia so much. But Splenda has been a lifesaver for me these past four years.

7/14/2008 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read on another blog (don't remember which one) that according to Cargill, the type of erythritol used in Truvia is not a sugar alcohol and that testing showed no insulin response to the erythritol that they use. They also said that gastric distress only happened with huge quantities, something like 27 packets of Truvia. Wish I could remember which blog I read this on, but you know how it is surfing the net, one thing leads to another...

Deanna

7/15/2008 11:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If Tanna comes back she should know that Splenda is very hi GI and does effect blood sugar while stevia does not.

7/22/2008 2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy how does this compare to oligofructose? I use Sweet Perfection (got the idea from your videos) and I really like it. It tastes like cotton candy too, but I don't think it is as sweet as Splenda so I use more of it. Plus I have trouble with it sometimes because it clumps up. I's like to try the Truvia if it's sweeter tasting.
Katherine

7/23/2008 7:17 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS Deanna! There was NO gastric distress from Truvia. I LOVED that!

Katherine, I found Truvia IS sweeter than SweetPerfection. Very clean taste and texture with no clumps. Of course, the batch I had was new, so we'll see how well it holds up over time.

7/23/2008 7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did buy a box of Truvia, and love the stuff! I was actually quite surprised how much better it tastes than the liquid extract stevia I've been using for several years. I wrote a review of my experience with Truvia on my blog. And thanks Jimmy for introducing me to Truvia.

7/31/2008 2:59 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I'm glad you liked it, Jeff! I really is radically different than any other stevia I've ever had. And that's a good thing. I'm glad you agree. :)

7/31/2008 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home