MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

KTLA-TV Unmasks Fraudulent Kimkins Diet Founder, Promises Continued Investigative Series


A full TV investigation of Kimkins conducted by KTLA in Los Angeles

A year and a half after a woman using the name "Kimmer" from the ultra-low-fat/low-calorie Kimkins diet started her own web site after allegedly losing 198 pounds in 11 months has now been outed by a major local television station who began an explosive new investigative series about her and her scam on Tuesday.

Kimmer, whose real name is Heidi Diaz, was featured on KTLA-TV in Los Angeles, California on Tuesday night (October 2, 2007) in an exclusive video segment (read a full transcript here) on the controversial diet plan that has been documented to be causing some major health problems for those who were among its most ardent followers. KTLA promises to follow up on the health issues suffered by people like Woman's World cover girl Christin in a follow-up story as well as reporting on the forthcoming class action lawsuit against Diaz by angry ex-members who have been refused a refund of their "lifetime membership" fee. If you have not seen these reports, then GO WATCH THE VIDEO NOW!

As many of you know, I have expressed my concerns about the Kimkins diet over the past couple of months since my public apology for once supporting it. My intentions were good for formerly backing Kimkins because I merely wanted to help people get motivated about losing weight (I have since created my own forum for former Kimkins members and anyone else to build an enjoyable low-carb community together). But there were too many unanswered questions, especially surrounding Kimmer herself that just didn't add up about the integrity of this woman behind Kimkins after I interviewed her for my podcast show a couple of months ago.

In the two months since breaking ties with Kimkins, I have become more and more disturbed by what I have seen from Kimmer/Heidi Diaz because she has demonstrated increasing levels of desperation to keep up with the charade that all is well and that she is who she says she is. But all is NOT well in Kimkinsland and she has resorted to coming up with lie after lie to continue with the facade that her diet scam is still legitimate when clearly it is not.

The whopper lie of them all was the triple-digit weight loss success that Kimmer/Heidi Diaz allegedly experienced on her diet. But a private investigator took video surveillance of Kimmer in August and as you will see in the video below, she very clearly had NOT lost the weight as she claimed (read this full report from the investigator who captured still shots and video of her in August). In fact, Kimmer/Heidi Diaz is indeed a morbidly obese woman as you will see in the following YouTube video courtesy of our friends at Slamboard who paid for the PI who got the footage:



There's an investigation petition and complaints being filed with the Better Business Bureau (who recently downgraded her diet's rating to a "D" and didn't look happy with Kimmer/Heidi's excuses for not meeting with them in the KTLA story!). This story shows no sign of letting up and it is merely one step away from becoming the national news scandal it deserves to be. Too many good and honest people are getting hurt on the starvation diet scheme and it's high time Kimkins is shut down for good.

ANYONE STILL SUPPORTING THIS SCAM SHOULD GET OUT IMMEDIATELY!

As I was going through my old e-mails the other day, I came across the e-mail response I received from Kimmer/Heidi Diaz to my original written blog interview with her published in October 2006 (which I have since removed because I didn't want to be perceived as endorsing her diet). Wanna see what this woman who claims she is not Heidi Diaz wrote to me in her e-mail with her interview responses? Check this out (the BOLD type is MY emphasis):

Date: Monday, October 2, 2006 3:01 AM
From: Heidi Diaz < heidi.k.diaz@gmail.com >
To: livinlowcarbman@charter.net
Subject: Kimmer Interview
Size: 66 KB
Attachments: Interview - Jimmy Moore.doc (62.9 KB)

Hello Jimmy!

You've got the patience of a saint, thanks for being understanding. I've attached my Interview for your review. I prefer to use smaller paragraphs for readability, but please feel free to edit as desired for your needs.

Now you know my secret identity! Shhhhhhh! ;)

Kimmer


YEP, you read that right! Kimmer told me she's REALLY Heidi Diaz (and if you look at her e-mail address, it's Heidi K. Diaz...could that be Heidi KIMBERLY Diaz, hmmm?). What's funny is right before I interviewed her for my podcast show a couple of months back, I asked her if Heidi Diaz was indeed her real name and she told me that was her cousin's name. HUH? That was just really strange since she clearly admitted in that e-mail to me one year ago that Heidi Diaz was her "secret identity." She either lied then or she's lying now.

Now, about that podcast interview I did with her back in July. You can listen to Part 1, Part 2, and Parts 3-5 to hear her voice for yourself. It's the same voice on the KTLA report saying, "I have no comment." EXACT SAME VOICE! If anyone doubted those most recent photos of her were real (not the infamous red dress lady who turns out to be a Russian model) then this news story should settle it once and for all. Listen to my podcasts with her and then watch the KTLA video again to hear her speak and it's undeniably her.

But my curiosity was piqued even further on Wednesday afternoon when I decided to give Kimmer/Heidi Diaz a call for myself. It's the same number she gave me to call her for the podcast interview we did, so I KNOW it was her number beyond any shadow of a doubt. I wanted to ask her why she is still claiming she lost nearly 200 pounds when the private investigator unveiled an entirely different story altogether. I also wanted to settle the question about her name being Heidi Diaz or not.

The resulting "conversation" I had with Heidi was one of the strangest exchanges I have ever participated in. It was so beyond surreal, I can hardly describe it for you. You're just not gonna believe this really happened, but it is 100% true.

Here's the transcript of that call:

Jimmy Moore: "Okay, I am calling Kimmer, otherwise known as Heidi Diaz, right now. We're gonna see if we can get her on the phone and address some of these issues that were brought up (phone ringing) in that TV...broadcast." (phone ringing)

Heidi Diaz: "Hello?"

Jimmy Moore: "Hey Heidi?"

Heidi Diaz: "Hello?"

Jimmy Moore: "Hey Heidi? Hello..."

Heidi Diaz: "I can take a message for her."

Jimmy Moore: "It's Jimmy Moore, how are you?"

Heidi Diaz: "Jimmy Moore, okay...and, does she have your number?"

Jimmy Moore: "You don't know who Jimmy Moore is?" (pause) "Hello?"

Heidi Diaz: "Hello? I'm sor...we're watching kids right now."

Jimmy Moore: "Oh you're fine."

Heidi Diaz: "Can I take a...can I take a phone number for you?"

Jimmy Moore: "Um, no, I want to talk to you." (pause)

Heidi Diaz: "I'm sorry?"

Jimmy Moore: "I said I'm talking to you." (long pause) "Hello?"

Heidi Diaz: "I..." (long pause)

Jimmy Moore: "Y-you're Heidi, right?"

Heidi Diaz: (murmuring away from the phone) "Do you guys know a Jimmy somebody?" (speaking into the phone) "I'm telling you she is out, can I take a number and I'll have her call you back."

Jimmy Moore: "Okay..."

Heidi Diaz: "Kedsul (???), over there."

Jimmy Moore: "I talked to you about a month and a half ago on my podcast show." (long pause) "Hello?"

Heidi Diaz: "Um...I think you have the wrong number."

Jimmy Moore: "Uh, no, Heidi, I don't have the wrong number, I'm just asking you a question." (CLICK) "Hello?" (long pause) "I do believe she hung up. I think that answers our questions, how about you?"

OH...MY...GOSH!!! She didn't just play dumb with me, did she? Did Heidi Diaz think I wouldn't recognize her voice after conducting a nearly 90-minute interview with her just two months back? Either she's the worst scam artist in the history of mankind or she's absolutely pea-brained!

When she played dumb and asked me for my telephone number, that's when I knew the gig was up for her. She even acted like she was watching kids (who is this "we" watching the kids anyway, hmmm?) and talking to them asking who Jimmy Moore is. What was REALLY funny is she said Heidi was out and that she'd take a message, but then at the end she changed her story and said that I must have the wrong number. So which lie is it, Heidi?

You know, I COULDN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP IF I TRIED!

Would you like to hear the audio of my phone call to Kimmer/Heidi Diaz? If you think the transcript of our conversation is great, then just wait until you hear THAT VOICE and see for yourself if it isn't the same person who was on my podcast interview and on KTLA. The audio of my call will appear in Episode 92 of "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore" on Thursday, so be sure to tune in to hear it for yourself!

To learn more about the Kimkins controversy, please visit the following web sites:

Kimkins Lawsuit Information

Kimkins Exposed

Slamboard

The TRUTH Starts Here

Kimkins Survivors

The Journey On - Christin's Blog

Winning Weight Loss - Becky's Blog

The Open Bench - Deni's Blog

For a comprehensive list of sites about this issue, CLICK HERE.

10-4-07 UPDATE: The new KTLA video has been posted online and they said they would be continuing this Kimkins controversy series as the news develops with the lawsuit and investigation by the attorney general and FTC. This follow-up story featured the health complications suffered by two former Kimkins members: Christin and Heidi. Both of these beautiful ladies did an outstanding job of talking about their hair loss and other health issues in the KTLA piece. Share your support for these two brave women by clicking on their name and sending them an e-mail.

10-4-07 UPDATE: If you haven't heard it yet, the audio of my quick chat with Kimmer/Heidi Diaz is NOW AVAILABLE at my podcast show. Check it out and get ready to be amazed at the gall of this woman who apparently is still scamming to the very end.

Speaking of her, get a load of what she just sent out in an today regarding the CHANGE IN OWNERSHIP of the Kimkins business. So is Kimmer transferring ownership to Heidi now or what? After all, they aren't the same person you know. LOL! Check this out:

Dear Kimkins Members,

Kimkins is now under new ownership. The website will continue business as usual and the planned site upgrades are almost complete.

The Kimkins Affiliate program is growing rapidly and we thank our affiliates for their enthusiastic support. Kimkins will soon welcome their 1000th affiliate!

Exciting new support resources will be announced very soon for Kimkins members. I will be an adviser and members who want to ask weight loss questions can email me at AskKimmer@gmail.com.

Thanks to everyone who has written incredible emails & PMs of support and understanding.

Kimmer


So "The Kimmer" is out, but who is in? Ducky, TheTRUTH, anyone else venture a guess?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Lowcarb_dave said...

This is amazing Drama!

This woman fooled a lot of people!

The Gig is up Heidi!

10/04/2007 12:21 AM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

God sure has a sense of humor, otherwise He wouldn't put so many oddballs on this planet.

I've seen and met quite a few of them, but this lady easily makes the top-10. The sad part, of course, is that she's not just fooling herself but many others as well - at their (health) expense. And that's a very serious matter.

It's a good thing that things are now being exposed on a national scale - that will make it almost impossible for her to continue this scam.

10/04/2007 7:32 AM  
Blogger Mamato2 said...

Gig is up. Told her so on the site yesterday, answering an "oh my, it's my friend no me they caught on camera" and asked her to step up and reveal her real self, then, and got banned for it, it 5 minutes later! I really hope she is exposed. Fraud, in any way, sucks...

10/04/2007 8:17 AM  
Blogger Kevin M. said...

Jimmy, the heart of the case against Kimmer, other than her identity question, is the safety question of the diet. I guess I don't understand how the legal authorities are going to claim this if the nutrition authorities claim that low-cal is healthy. This could raise another public debate about the health claims of low-cal! Hopefully, this will be an opportunity for Low-carb to make a better name for itself by publicly coming out as high-cal (meta-nutrient), and reveal the hypocrisy and scientific bankruptcy of the the low-cal establishment, who can't seem to decide whether their prescription is healthy or dangerous, which would really demonstrate and highlight Gary Taubes' points. We could use the controversy to promote key LC points.

10/04/2007 10:58 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

That's an excellent point, Kevin! And I'm happy to see the KTLA-TV report focused more on the low-cal aspect of Kimkins than low-carb. That's why we should all denounce and scorn this imposter diet as much as possible in the public light.

10/04/2007 11:05 AM  
Blogger Pot Kettle Black said...

Jimmy,

I've said it before, over lesser things, but I think this latest bit makes it more relevant.

"But my curiosity was piqued even further on Wednesday afternoon when I decided to give Kimmer/Heidi Diaz a call for myself..."

This is not healthy behavior. It's like drunk dialing after a breakup, only in a mean, angry kind of way.

I don't doubt that Heidi Diaz is "the Kimmer" or that she's a two-bit scam artist who took you, Woman's World, and a whole lot of others for a ride. But when you go on about it, it makes you look petty, insecure and sad.

I think you've done your civic duty in reporting your reasons for severing ties. You've gone above and beyond in opening the forum to Kimkins refugees. You even have posted the link. But now you're calling to get your own pound of flesh?

Jimmy. Move on. You're better than this. Kimmer is worse. You're distanced. You don't have to obsess about it. You got taken. Get over it.

10/04/2007 11:05 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS Pot and I appreciate your opinion as always. But I have to respectfully disagree with you. The local television exposure this scam (yes, I got taken too) received on KTLA is an opportunity to get other national news outlets to pick up on it. I realize my blog has quite a reach and shows up on Google News alerts through my various sites. For the sake of ending this fraud once and for all, I feel an obligation to help get that message out. THANK YOU again for your comments. :)

10/04/2007 11:10 AM  
Blogger Orvette said...

Wow. I went to the Kimkins site to see if the "red dress" picture was really gone and discovered that I am now blocked too! I haven't posted anything on the Kimkins site in many weeks, months. And I hardly post anything anywhere else for that matter! I'm guessing the one comment I made in jest must have represented my "TOS violations."

Until now I haven't been all that interested in participating in the lawsuit, but this was absolutely absurd. I'm just hoping that her Pay Pal account is frozen before she can make off with everyone's dough!

I'm thrilled that a TV station has taken her on!

10/04/2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger Dena said...

Wow, what a wild turn of events! I was working late last night so I was completely oblivious that all of this was going on. I'm just happy that I saw the light before it was too late. Hopefully, the remaining Kimkins members will see the light soon. Thanks for keeping us informed Jimmy!

10/04/2007 4:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jimmy,

I have been a reader of your blog for awhile and I wanted to ask a personal question, if you don't mind?

I followed the Kimkins diet for about three weeks and then decided I couldn't continue on with it anymore, because of the way I was feeling. SNATT I guess.

Anyway, after I got off the diet, I gained the weight I lost with Kimkins back. What about you? Have you gained any of the weight back since going back to a healthier and much safer diet?

Thank you for continuing to bring light to this situation and using your blog to get the message out. I only hope that more people listen to it.

10/04/2007 6:38 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Hey Melissa,

THANKS for sharing! My lowest point when following K/E was 215, but I didn't feel well at that weight and blacked out a few times while playing volleyball. My energy was shot!

I KNOW it was because I lowered my fat intake (even slightly!) which is one of the reasons I returned back to Atkins again. I really didn't need to lose any more weight and I have been maintaining right around 220-225 ever since.

There are TONS of people at my new LowCarbDiscussion.com forum who are transitioning from the ULTRA-low-fat/low-calorie Kimkins plans and having trouble understanding why they're not losing eating the increased amount of fat. I just spoke with one of them on the telephone today and helped her realize her body was in starvation mode and that it takes time for her body's metabolism to recover.

In the quest for weight loss, it's far too easy to fall into the trap of thinking there's a better way than livin' la vida low-carb and all that entails. But this way of eating works pure and simple if you follow it and KEEP following it forever.

I've learned my lesson and hope others have or will, too.

10/04/2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger doris 桃利思 said...

Hi Jimmy, I am sorry about the scam, although it is not judged in court that this is truly a scam yet, but certainly taking too low calories is not a good diet to follow.

I have posted about this scam in my blog in Chinese(http://doriscbwong.blogspot.com/2007/10/blog-post_07.html), hopefully it can bring awareness to some people in Chinese community who are picking a diet to pursue.

10/06/2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS Doris! :)

10/06/2007 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home