MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Why Do People Have An 'I Don't Care' Attitude About Their Need For Weight Loss?

Right now as you are reading the words I have written for this blog post, there are quite literally tens of millions of people all around the world who are sitting at their desk at work, watching television, eating in restaurants--living life--and yet they have something that is just about the most destructive thing anyone could possibly have.

Is it AIDS? Nope!
How about cocaine addition? No again.
Could it be cancer? Wrong answer.

As bad as all of those things are, the number of people I am referring to is impacted on a much grander scale than the people who suffer from the above issues COMBINED! What am I referring to?

Call it apathy, call it discontent, or whatever fits your lexicon. But the "I don't care" attitude about weight loss that is exhibited by the two out of every three people in the United States and I would suspect worldwide is doing more damage than we are willing to admit.

WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE THIS ATTITUDE ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS?

As a man who used to be one of those morbidly obese people who walked around this world fat and without any reason for ever trying to lose weight, let me give you some of my insights on the answer to that question.

Weighing over 400 pounds is something that didn't just happen overnight. It was a series of poor choices and decisions that I made in the way I ate, how much I ate, the kinds of foods I ate, and why I ate. Additionally, exercise was nonexistent so there was no calorie-burning happening in my body aside from the day-to-day activities of life.

After trying and failing on so many of these low-fat, calorie-restricted, weigh every ounce of food diet out there, you get frustrated and come to the conclusion that being overweight of obese is your lot in life. There's absolutely no reason to try to lose weight because you'll only end of failing. This mentality is fueled by the continual trial and error that happens when you go on a diet. Up and down, up and down your weight goes and you just throw your hands up in the air.

This hopeless and helpless feeling more than anything else is why people say "I don't care" about their need for weight loss. That's why I try to encourage people who are where I once was to realize there are better ways to lose weight than all those "healthy" tips we have heard over the course of our lifetime. Start educating yourself about radically different nutritional approaches, such as livin' la vida low-carb, and you will find much of what you thought you knew about losing weight was 180 degrees WRONG!

The emotional pain that comes from being overweight or obese cannot be diminished either. As much as people who are fat want to put on a good front and a happy face, the truth is they are longing deep down inside to be "normal" again and getting their weight under control. They rationalize that they are "big-boned" and was simple "destined to be fat forever." UGH! What lies we tell ourselves when we have allowed such thoughts to enter our heads.

Although people might say they don't care, the fact is that they do. Everyone who has a weight problem will have to come face-to-face with the reality that their weight will sooner or later begin causing health problems that may not be treatable. When everything else has failed to work to bring about weight loss, that's when you turn to something new to make it happen. That's the beauty of the low-carb lifestyle and precisely why I keep doing what I do here day after day after day.

If you are one of those people who hides behind the facade that you just don't care about weight loss, then listen to me when I say this from the bottom of my heart. STOP IT! STOP LYING TO YOURSELF! THE GIG IS UP AND IT'S HIGH TIME YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR WEIGHT NOW! NOT TOMORROW! NOT NEXT WEEK OR NEXT YEAR! RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT!

When I weighed 410 pounds in January 2004 at the beginning of my low-carb lifestyle, I had no idea that by the end of that year I would drop 180 pounds, lose 20 inches from my waist, be in the best physical shape of my entire life, and begin a lifelong journey to be healthy and help others get there, too! But that's EXACTLY what happened and it can happen for anyone willing to give low-carb living a chance to change their life just like it changed mine.

Those feelings of apathy are certainly natural, but let them instead motivate you to take action. Who knows, you might be looking back a year from now wondering how in the world you lost 50, 100, or even 200 pounds! That's the miracle that awaits you if you are willing to invest the time, effort and energy into livin' la vida low-carb. Of course, if you need any help along the way, I'm always available to assist you at livinlowcarbman@charter.net.

Put the "I don't care" attitude aside and GO FOR IT! :)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Hellistile said...

This is not really off topic but as I was taking public transit to work, the lady across from me was so obviously unhealthy (thinning hair, fast asleep, skin problems, extremely overweight) that a phrase came into my mind: Carbohydrate Disease. This woman was in advanced stages of Carbohydrate Disease. I have no idea if she has diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, etc, etc. but she definitely has "Carbohydrate Disease" It's so obvious to me now.

8/30/2006 3:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hell,

I saw a woman on the bus today with Carbohydrate Disease. She's was morbidly obese, with a small baby who will be overweight within a few years, and was eating food from a fast food chicken place. It's so sad!

Rob,

Most people regain the weight because they don't want to change. Simple as that. Sugar tastes good. I was raised (at least before the divorce) with a fairly healthy diet - a diet I rejected when I got to college and wanted to eat all the stuff I hadn't been allowed (like Lucky Charms).

8/30/2006 8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home