MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Atkins Hater Says He's Sorta Sorry...Er, Maybe


Columnist Robert St. John says he enjoys tormenting Atkins dieters

One of the things I like to do here at my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog is to point out columnists who write articles in the media that I find are either outright lies or a gross display of ignorance about livin' la vida low-carb. I suppose since I have been so successful on a low-carb diet losing nearly 200 pounds on it that I feel like it is one of my duties to defend it and gladly so.

I've done it many times over the past two years that this blog has been around and I'll keep doing it every chance I can get because people deserve to know the truth rather than the almost-always jaded opinions of these so-called journalists. If these people would simply take a few hours and just read a low-carb book for once in their life, then I don't think we would see all the constant negativity that pops up in the media so much. Don't hold your breath, though.

You might recall a syndicated food columnist by the name of Robert St. John who I featured not once, but twice in blog posts last month after he proved to the entire world what a complete numbskull he is about the Atkins diet. In this blog post, I noted how St. John described Atkins as a "sadistic slow torture method of carbohydrate deprivation."

Here's what I wrote about St. John's column at the time:

"The only 'sadistic slow torture method' that I've ever been on is when I went on a low-fat diet in 1999. The FAT 'deprivation' I experienced during those ten months that I willed myself into losing 170 pounds was just too much to take and I gained every bit of that weight back within five months! But with livin' la vida low-carb, this has literally been the easiest way to eat and lose weight for good in my entire life. St. John doesn't know what he's missing!"

Not to be outdone by himself, St. John again tried to be cute seeing himself write about his version of low-carb living in this blog post where I featured him slamming the Atkins diet yet again:

"I once tried Dr. Atkins' torturous method of carbohydrate deprivation, and three weeks into the diet wrote this paragraph in my journal: 'Everyday I get an afternoon craving for a Milky Way bar. 'Just eat some pork rinds or beef jerky,' they say. I tried that. Pork rinds are smelly and greasy, and it takes approximately 37 hours to chew one single piece of beef jerky. Note to future Atkins dieters: 50 pounds of dried beef or fried pig skins can't come close to one tiny bite of a chocolaty, silky, heavenly, wonderfully delicious Milky Way bar - Pure joy in a brown wrapper."

Pure unadulterated idiocy is all this was and I called him on it! Take every myth you've ever heard about low-carb and hyperbolize it. That's precisely what this dolt St. John apparently enjoys doing in his columns with no concept of discovering what the facts really are. What he doesn't realize is just how retarded that makes him look to people educated about livin' la vida low-carb when he pretends to know what this way of eating is all about when in reality he hasn't got the first clue!

But in his latest column this week, we catch a glimpse of what appears to be an apology of sorts while he reveals that supporters of the Atkins diet (translation: READERS OF MY LIVIN' LA VIDA LOW-CARB BLOG!) often call his bluff and contact him directly when he criticizes our healthy lifestyle change.

Talking about the "hate mail" he gets from various groups when he has "stirred up controversy," St. John did have something pretty funny to say about the mail he gets from those radical vegetarian members of PETA.

"PETA sends e-mail frequently. It is an easy target, especially in this part of the country that hosts more hunters per capita than any other region. I never have been intentionally cruel to a domesticated animal, but my love for foie gras and veal has filled my inbox with some of the more hilarious hate mail a columnist could ever receive. Vegetarians send e-mail quite frequently. But what they don't understand is: I like vegetables, too. I just prefer that they taste more like meat."

HA! Now that's just TOO funny! Not a bad wit for someone who doesn't understand what the Atkins diet is all about. Speaking of that, here's what St. John had to say about those of us who support low-carb.

"The Atkins Diet people must remain on alert 24 hours a day scanning the Internet for journalists who dare contradict or make fun of the late doctor's tortuous carbohydrate deprivation methods. They fill their e-mails with a lot of medical mumbo-jumbo and technical jargon. On the occasions that I do reply, I go into great detail extolling the joy and beauty of bread, rice and potatoes."

Hardy-har-har...yuck yuck yuck! I'm sure St. John just gets one big ole belly laugh out of doing that. Yippee freakin' skippy! You bet I scan the Internet looking for lamebrained idiocy like yours, Mr. St. John, because you are the exact epitome of what's wrong with our society these days. While you are off typing away thinking you are being smart and funny about all these negative stereotypes of low-carb, the obesity and diabetes twin epidemics just keep getting worse and worse and we scratch our heads wondering why. I mean DUH!

If honest journalists (not pretenders like this St. John fool!) would simply crack open a copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution for themselves and actually read it, absorb the REAL message, and share what they have learned with their readers, then perhaps we could curtail the downward spiral that has happened with the rising weight and declining health of tens of millions of Americans. No thanks to the Robert St. Johns of this world, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

Where's your journalistic responsibility to your readers, Mr. St. John, hmm? Grow some kahunas and try exhibiting a little bit of testicular fortitude for once rather than simply repeating what you heard about the Atkins diet from a friend of a cousin's friend who went on it and hated it. Perhaps you should actually read some of that "medical mumbo-jumbo and technical jargon" that my readers have sent you about livin' la vida low-carb. You might actually learn something for a change!

Keep on eating all that bread, rice and potatoes, too! When you get sick and obese from overloading your body with garbage carbs, then don't come crying to us that you didn't know any better. You've been exposed to what is right and now you are just choosing to foolishly ignore it. That's certainly your choice, but the truth is out there for everyone to see. It's no secret anymore because the positive and uplifting low-carb message is getting out there whether you like it or not.

While St. John said e-mails from people responding to his anti-Atkins columns "don't bother me in the least," I think we should all give him a nice resounding shower of e-mail contact today thanking him for at least attempting to apologize and say he is sorry...er, maybe.

E-mail Robert St. John anytime 24 hours a day while you are on watch for negative columns about low-carb at Robert@robertstjohn.com. I know his sadistic and self-absorbed self would just LOVE to hear from you today. Let's give him feedback today that he'll NEVER forget!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Hah. Since he hasn't the remotest idea what he's crowing about, I'll have petty, sad ignorant fools like mr. St. John for breakfast, anyday - his dietary delusions are as outdated as his jurassic glasses!

I'll write him a "nice" letter :)

2/22/2007 6:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this may be just moretehcnical mumbo jumbo to Mr. St. Johh, but I'll compare my triglycerides, HDL, and large fluffy LDL numbers to his anyday!

2/22/2007 6:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keep fighting the good fight, Jimmy!

I too get irritated my journalists who mouth off about low carb when they've clearly read little or no material about this way of eating.

Making a pathetic effort at Atkins and craving a Milky Way -- who cares?? Typing out homages to carbs in response to nutritional science just shows his level of thought about this issue.

Hey, if his preference is for carbs, I don't care. But don't knock low carb living when you don't understand it, haven't given it a true try, and equate people committed to an awesomely healthy approach to the nuts at PETA.

Kate at The Steaks Are High

2/22/2007 9:23 AM  
Blogger Ronald said...

I would say something. But I tend to spout about how vegetarians look as "good" as smokers from time to time. ;)

2/22/2007 2:21 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I have been low-carb for 18 months (dropped 20 pounds of flab, lost the migraines, anxiety and bad skin, too). Well, last week I ate pasta, ice cream, and beer...all in the same night. The next day, I literally wanted to die. I was moody, crying, shaking, anxious, bloated, irritable...basically my old self times ten. And we wonder why people are depressed, overweight, and miserable? Humans weren't designed to eat sugar, although I "love" the FDA's recommendation to "make half your grains whole". How about "don't eat grains, period". Cheers from the carb-avoidin', mainstream-angering, fearlessly healthy gang over at www.marksdailyapple.com. Keep up the great work!

2/22/2007 4:18 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS for sharing your experience, Sara, and THANK YOU for telling me about Mark's excellent blog. WOW! I'm definitely going to do a blog post about it soon. Amazing work you guys are doing over there. KEEP IT UP!

2/22/2007 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home