MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Friday, March 09, 2007

Vegans Go For Jugular On Low-Carb Podcast

Uh oh. I've REALLY done it now!

When I recorded Episode 32 of "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore" late last week on the subject of veganism, I knew I was inviting controversy. But I had no idea it was going to come to this--THE VEGANS HAVE GONE FOR THE JUGULAR AND WANT ME GONE!

The enormous feedback from all those wild and wacky vegans has been so intense since that podcast show was posted on Thursday morning that my Executive Producer Kevin Kennedy-Spaien decided to release this statement on GNMHealth.com today in response to their "increasing pressure" for Grasshopper New Media to "sever" their relationship between me and my podcast show.

HA!! Now THAT is funny! Whatever happened to freedom of speech, ya silly vegans? I have just as much a right to speak out against veganism as you do to tell me how supposedly cruel I'm being to animals by choosing to eat them. If you don't want to eat animals, then more power to ya. But don't tell me I can't. Isn't it laughable how these people would try to take my podcast show away from me because I hurt their feelings? Awwwww, poor wittle babies.

You'll be pleased to know that Kennedy-Spaien and GNMHealth are not backing down to the pressure and have come out stating they "fully support" me and my right to express my opinions about livin' la vida low-carb just as boldly and proudly as I have been doing since October 2006.

"While we at GNMHealth do not necessarily agree with every point of view espoused by our contributors — in fact, that would be impossible since we cover opposing voices on several topics regularly — I do hold one belief very firmly. It is a great American value, too often forgotten by people of all creeds and causes in these highly charged times. It goes something like this: 'Although I may disagree with what you say, I will defend unto the death your right to say it.'"

As an olive branch to those vegans who feel their message has not been adequately portrayed at GNMHealth, Kennedy-Spaien said he would love to have any vegans or vegetarians who "want to share your articulate and empirical thoughts on why any given dietary system is best" to submit their blog posts and/or audio feed for a rebuttal podcast.

"I would say to those who object to Mr. Moore's views, we at GNMHealth are willing to grant you the same respect we grant Jimmy...We encourage you to make your feelings known to the world and we will give you the soap box to do so. And we will continue to do so for Jimmy Moore as well."

Please visit GNMHealth.com for more information.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Science4u1959 said...

This was, of course, to be expected. Obviously the lack of essential fats, vitamins and complete proteins in their diets causes (among other ailments) extreme aggression. I am not joking - there are quite a number of studies confirming this phenomenon.

Besides, the fact that they resort to the ad hominem attack only proves total intellectual bankruptcy. They have no shred of substantial or scientifically relevant data - only badmouthing you.

In other words: they simply are doing us a service, as they are achieving nothing else than proving your point... and not realizing it.

Hilarious and sad at the same time...

3/10/2007 12:21 AM  
Blogger Mr F. said...

Man, I tell you what, some of them Vegans are nuts. No fat and no meat makes them irritable. I say, if you want to live that way, then fine, but you cannot discount Atkins and it ain't going away.

I got into a huge argument at work with one and we wound up never having the discussion again, which is fine.

This is my third time losing over a hundred pounds, and I just can't go back to low fat. I won't. I firmly believe I'll lose the rest of this weight the low carb way, although it has been slower than planned. Too much yo-yo-ing really has taken it's toll, but I know it will happen low carb.

The great news is that I can maintain, which I've never been able to do before. Jeez, two years ago I walked with pain shooting up my legs, and now I'm thinking about a marathon. And I will run it training low carb.

- Mr Fat

3/10/2007 12:30 AM  
Blogger renegadediabetic said...

Bravo for GNMHealth. Good to see someone devoted to free speech. I wonder if any vegans have the intestinal & intellectual fortitude to take GNMHelath up on its offer.

3/10/2007 4:41 PM  
Blogger Low Carb Chef said...

um, so let's see, the vegans are upset because someone is bashing their lifestyle, and making generalizations about people who choose to live that way...hmmmm, sounds familiar. sorry guys, pardon the pun, but veganism is no "sacred cow" in the nutritional game...just because you choose not to eat animal products doesn't make you "better" or of more elevated mind than the rest of us, as we can see by the retaliatory comments they stooped to when responding to Jimmy's comments. People generalize about their lifestyle, comment on it without researching, adopt it without proper education about it, do it 'wrong', take it seriously, are passionate about it as a "lifestyle" and not just as a "diet"...sound familiar? actually, from a critical standpoint, i think they probably experience a lot of the same prejudice we do...except for some reason, it's not politically correct to criticize the vegan or vegetarian lifestyle...hmmm. personally, i think they're just crabby because they're hungry most of the time...or they can't think clearly because they're lacking essential fatty acids...oh come on, i'm just kidding ;-p

3/12/2007 7:41 PM  
Blogger Kevin M. said...

It must be remembered that the motivation behind veganism is purely ethical, it has no scientific or medical basis whatsoever. Humans are omnivores, not ungulates. We do not process grass into protein as cows do. This is why the vegans can never really argue their point effectively. Their only point is an ethical one, not medical.

It is supposedly "not ethical" or "abominously unnatural" to harvest animals for food. The shaky ethics behind this stems from a sensibility that says that death is somehow an avoidable offense against creatures, when it is really a natural and necessary part of life. Vegans are shouting into the wind to try to legislate an enforced defiance of death. To follow the vegan ethic logically, we should all cryogenically freeze our remains and attempt to genetically clone ourselves into a very unnatural state of perpetual material life. This is not an example of accepting and living with nature, but of hating and defying nature, part of which is accepting death at the proper age.

So in the end, veganism is a supremely hubristic and narcissistic attempt to avoid natural death. Followed to its extreme, it expresses a hatred of nature rather than an embrace of nature. Even worse, it expresses a position of supreme materialism, anti-spiritualism and true faithlessness in a higher power, and our place as created beings in a created universe.

Of course it is true that we must be respectful to animals, our physical brothers with whom we share our biological being. But the deeper, some might say "eucharistic", mystery of life is that we all eat of each other to live, and the food chain is an unavoidable part of natural existence. All animal life has progressed only by the eating of other animal life. It is ultimately not an offense to die or be harvested in order for your body to feed the body of a higher being.

The spirit, perhaps even of animals, is unique, indestructible and eternal. Life is not defined by the body, but by the spirit, and we are judged eternally not at all by our physical success, but by our spiritual generosity, docility to the will of God, and the ability to bear suffering for others. Sorry to sermonize, but the materialistic, anti-spiritual, un-natural spirit of veganism must be revealed within a truly ethical perspective.

3/15/2007 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home