MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Thursday, June 21, 2007

'Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show' Episode 62: It's Not Diet, But Behavior Keeping You Fat


Dr. Mike Kennedy uses behavioral modification to treat obesity

I'm pleased to share an interview with you today from my visit to last month's American Society of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP) obesity conference in Nashville, Tennessee. Dr. Mike Kennedy, author of Ten Commitments to Be Forever Fit and Living Lean: Your Guide to Successful Weight Loss Management, shares his experiences treating overweight and obese people.

In Episode 62 of "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore," Dr. Kennedy gets into the details of his rather unique approach to helping the obese. LISTEN NOW:

icon for podpress  "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore" Episode 62 [16:52m]: Play in Popup | Download

While I did not agree with everything Dr. Kennedy shared in my interview with him (namely his promotion of portion control as the key to weight loss and his description of obesity as a "disease"), he certainly has a niche with his focus not on the diet but on the personal habits. If people could get this aspect of weight loss down, then obesity could quite possibly be obliterated.

Check out these five ways to listen to the podcast (#5 is COOL!):

1. Visit the official web site at TheLivinLowCarbShow.com
2. Subscribe at iTunes
3. Sign up at our RSS feed
4. Get updates by e-mail at the official web site
5. Call (818) 688-2763 and listen to us via PodLinez

Dr. Kennedy is a really interesting obesity doc with a perspective on weight loss that's one-of-a-kind. His dietary philosophy isn't so much about specific diets or exercise regimens, but rather your perspective and mindset. What do you think about this? Is he being short-sighted by ignoring the diet or is this the next wave of treatment for obesity? Share your comments about Dr. Kennedy and let's hear your opinions.

If you missed my Episode 61 podcast on the new weight loss drug Alli, then you should go back and listen to this instant classic which attracted quite a bit of attention from some first-time listeners! That was so much fun--I still laugh at it after listening to it SEVERAL time! :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bunnell said...

The defining moment for me too was my granddaughter. She couldn't talk yet but I knew that in order to be here for her and her mother I needed to get on top of several aspects of my life that were damaging and killing me. Drugs, alcohol, gambling, cigarettes and weight were killing me. That was ten years ago. After a lifetime of all of these things(something more than 40 years)(I was 52 years old at the time). The alcohol and drugs and gambling I quit on my own instantly and never looked back. I always hated them. The cigarettes the Mayo Clinic got me off of. The weight 9 years later was still a losing battle. A year ago I typed "sugar addiction" into Google and began to study what I knew must be the core of my problem, I just couldn't slay the food dragon. I didn't know that our stomach couldn't tell the difference between carbohydrates and sugar until right at that moment. I didn't know what a carbohydrate was. I didn't know that it was the exact same thing as sugar. I thought seeds and fruit and vegetables were the best thing for my health until that moment. So sugar addiction and it's cure became my obsession. I wanted to live for my now two granddaughters and there mother, my youngest daughter. Lifestyle change came for me in getting totally sugar free or very nearly so. Getting off from caffeine was easy for me even though I had had a lifetime of indulging.(mostly pop and chocolate). With all this occurring I still would not have been able to make it happen if portion size and starvation and exercise along with lifestyle change had been the only way to do it. Portion size was killing me. Compulsive eating was killing me. My sugar/carbohydrate addiction was killing me!

I ate as much as I wanted but with zero sugar and zero carbohydrates or nearly so. I ate all I wanted. One thing at a time I said. This sugar addiction had to be broken and I couldn't starve myself and portion size and defeat my sugar/carb addiction at the same time. The longer I stayed away from sugar and carbs the lower my compulsive eating became and portion size came to be all by itself. With the compulsive addiction to sugar and carbohydrates I couldn't do it. With the sugar and carbohydrates removed from my body the extremely difficult became the pretty basic and simple. I still eat as often as I want and as much as I want but without the sugar/carb addiction and the compulsive eating disorder being gone and along with it the hypoglycemia being gone(that had made me have to eat all the time), everything came into place. This might work for your brother. I discovered both Atkins and yourself while on this journey. Both vital components of my understanding and not being alone in this journey. I thank you both.

6/22/2007 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home