MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What's The Harm In Taking A Diet Pill Like Alli?


New OTC weight loss drug Alli at the center of obesity debate

Did you catch my latest podcast show about the new diet pill that everyone's talking about called Alli? If you missed it, then you need to go listen to what I think will go down as my favorite show ever! Hilarious doesn't even begin to describe it! :D

But not everyone was laughing.

One of the comments left for this episode of "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore" was from someone with the initials LJM (could that stand for "loathes Jimmy Moore"--hee hee!).

Anyways, here's what he said about the podcast on Alli:

Let me start by saying that you have A LOT of great information and good reading on your site, I really enjoy it.

I am in no way associated with any program, pill, or company so this is just a average Joe opinion here.

I just read your transcript from the program you did and it reads rather alarmist on one hand and used car salesman on the other. I got the sense of you pushing your way as the best & only way. When you say you are stuck taking it for the rest of your life, I sort of got a confused look.

From what I’ve read re this pill, it is not meant to be taken alone, but in conjunction with a healthier eating style. Ya you get the runs, and poo issues if you have to much fat in your diet, if its really bad just stop taking the pill. I have not taken it, I thought about it as an additional way to take off a few pounds faster in conjunction with my low carb, low to med fat intake.

If the runs are the worst of it I think some people would welcome the extra weight loss. As for being on it for a lifetime, that does not even make sense. If you get your weight down to a level where you can exercise, and you continue to eat healthy, why keep taking it?

Get to your ideal weight and maintain it. As for taking a multivitamin, how can that hurt ya? The key is to not rely on vitamins, diet pills, diets, or anything like that. Eat healthy and you won’t need them. If a pill helps you along the way and doesn’t hurt you, go for it.


Did this person even see all the possible negative reactions that Alli can cause? What's he been smokin'? Here was my response:

THANKS, LJM, but I respectfully disagree with you. There was nothing “alarmist” about my podcast (you REALLY need to listen to it, not just read the transcript!) except that which was found on the web site for both Alli and the FDA which approved the drug to be sold over-the-counter.

If you listen to virtually ANY of my previous podcasts, then you would know how ignorant your “I got the sense of you pushing your way as the best & only way” comment really is because I am all for people finding what works for them, following that plan exactly as prescribed, and then doing it for the rest of their life.

Livin’ la vida low-carb has been that for me and I realize it may not be for everyone. But this Alli is something tee-totally different because we’re not talking about a natural supplement to aid in weight loss. Instead, what we have is a truly dangerous drug that has not just gaseous side effects, but also the risk of COLON CANCER!!! Why even risk taking something like that just to lose only a few extra pounds.

I don’t say you’re stuck taking it for the rest of your life, that’s EXACTLY what the Alli commercial says when the announcer says, “You don’t just take Alli, you commit to it.” What do you think that means, LJM? Did you hear when I quoted from the FDA when they said if you ever get off the Alli pill, you will GAIN your weight back? Again, this is NOT me saying this, but the freakin’ group that approved this thing!

As for this “healthier eating style” crap, a high-carb, low-fat diet does NOT fit that description. When you lower the carbs, the fat is naturally going to increase as a percentage, so this Alli will become that much more harmful to people who are livin’ la vida low-carb. There’s just no wiggling out of this inevitable fate.

Face it, LJM, people are gonna still eat their high-carb and high-fat meals and will take this Alli OTC drug to ease their conscious about it. Boy, will THEY be in for a rude awakening!

I don’t know why people would put themselves through the torture of the side effects that Alli has just to lose a couple more pounds. Why not just work the low-carb plan you are on exactly as the author prescribes and the weight loss can and will happen as quickly as it needs to.

Don’t forget, I lost 180 pounds in 2004 without the use of any drugs or anything other than my all-natural, healthy low-carb Atkins diet. Alli would have been a disaster for me and I very likely would have given up from all the discouraging gas and “accidents.”

Finally, I cannot agree with you lumping vitamins in with something truly unhealthy like diet pills such as Alli. Vitamins are truly an important part of a healthy lifestyle and I have taken them daily for over three years. They are the lifeblood of ANY healthy living strategy and it is ignorant to think otherwise. They are completely safe, too!

While I appreciate your feedback, LJM, you could not be more off base if you tried. Again, you REALLY need to listen to this podcast show so you can hear how the information was presented and then check out past episodes so you won’t be as ignorant about my philosophy the next time you decide to mindlessly rant on a topic you obviously are clueless about.

Take care! :)


Care to add your two cents worth about Alli? Add your comments and join the conversation! And enjoy a laugh or two with this podcast. Kudos to my producer Kevin-Kennedy Spaien for having some fun with this one.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

But they are not "accidents" caused by the pills. They are "treatment effects." LOL

Totally agree with you. :)

6/19/2007 8:36 PM  
Blogger Pot Kettle Black said...

Mike Eades wrote up Alli a few months ago. I think he pointed to some very serious effects on the gallbladder. I have a friend on a support board who blames the prescription form of Alli for her losing her gallbladder. Dr. Eades was also unequivocal on the inappropriateness of Alli for a low carb dieter. I don't think he was talking about a kimkins style, LF/LC, but I think he's down on that anyway.

Last thing: I think the Alli is genius. Low Fat diets are hard to comply with. If you eat fat, you get the "cosmic pizza grease." It's what an economist would call a strong incentive to comply with your diet. And since compliance is a major issue with LF (see the JAMA report on Atkins vs Zone vs Ornish vs Pyramid... check compliance rates for Ornish and Pyramid), a strong incentive is just what the doctor prescribed. Until it became OTC.

Question: Is the blue thing in the box a plug to stop the flow of pizza grease?

6/20/2007 11:59 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Um, gross. I could yawn and I would lose weight faster. Check out Mark's scathing review:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alli/

6/22/2007 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home