MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Monday, May 26, 2008

'Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show' Episode 141: Dr. Julie Kahn Promotes Healthy Preconception Nutrition


Dr. Julie Kahn tells us about the unique role of diet in fertility

One of the most precious miracles that we are able to witness and experience in our lives is the creation and development of a baby boy or girl inside of a mother's womb. Procreating is arguably the most amazing thing human beings are able to do, but how often do we take it for granted? Are there things we can do even before conception that will enable us to give that soon-to-be baby the best chance at being healthy?

In Episode 141 of "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore," we get the answers to those questions and more from a bona fide expert in the field named Dr. Julie Kahn from The Institute for Progressive Medicine. She is a naturopathic physician with specialization in infertility, gynecology, nutrition, functional endocrinology, bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, environmental medicine, and cranialsacral therapy. In other words, she's MORE THAN QUALIFIED to speak about the indelible connection between diet and fertility and we're pleased to offer this interview with her on my podcast today.

Click on the "LISTEN NOW" link below or download it to your iPod to hear Episode 141:

icon for podpress "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore" Episode 141 [30:07m]: LISTEN NOW | Download

Dr. Kahn hit on quite a few topics in this podcast, including what meats are best for fertility, which kinds of carbs are worst for fertility, what is the impact of soy for both men and women while trying to conceive, are supplements required when eating the recommended fertility diet, and ways you can avoid harmful chemicals around the house to eliminate the toxins the can cause problems when attempting to conceive. Considering all that Christine and I went through trying to get pregnant via in-vitro fertilization in December 2007, we thought it would be nice to interview an expert in this field to help other hopeful parents put themselves in the best position possible to start their own family.

I was especially impressed with Dr. Kahn's preference for natural ways to improve your chances for a healthy pregnancy. Too often doctors overlook how important a solid healthy diet and a toxic-free environment is for people wanting to have a baby. She provides practical ways to make your diet better and improving the way you live your life in the day-to-day so you can put your best foot forward in your efforts to conceive. If you or someone you know is trying to have a little one, then you need to listen to this podcast interview with Dr. Julie Kahn! :)

Hear directly from experts like Dr. Julie Kahn anytime by:

1. Listening at the official web site
2. Calling (818) 688-2763 to listen via Podlinez
3. Subscribing to the RSS feed
4. Going to iTunes--Click here to subscribe!

What are your thoughts about preconception healthcare as described by Dr. Kahn in my interview with her? Do you buy into the notion that it is necessary to begin changing your diet and lifestyle long before conception? Talk about this issue in the show notes section of Episode 141. What are your experiences in this area? Leave us feedback by calling our comment line at (206) 202-6516.

Coming up on Thursday, we will be sharing my interview with Cracking The Metabolic Code author Dr. Jim LaValle. This low-carb doctor is changing the lives of real people suffering from all sorts of health problems simply by getting them to examine the quality of the food they are putting in their mouth. It will be a fascinating discussion as we continue my interview series on "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore." THANK YOU for listening!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger TypeAMom said...

Dear Jimmy and Christine,
I posted a comment to you guys after your post about dealing with your IF vis-a-vis going to church on Mothers'/Fathers' Day and how painful it was for you in light of your recent failed IVF cycle. Man, how many of those services did my husband and I have to sit through - I DO know the pain!!

I don't know much about Dr. Kahn, but I would like to suggest a book/"diet" that both myself and my sister tried when we were trying to conceive our kids. I had difficulties GETTING pregnant (we tried for 4 years before we were successful - without intervention other than modified diet) - my sister had problems STAYING pregnant - Lord knows she GOT PG at the drop of a hat, but she had 4 miscarriages before she had a successful pregnancy.

Anyhow, in September, 2001, we both read and started following the dietary guidelines in Fern Reiss' book "The Infertility Diet: Get Pregnant and Prevent Miscarriage." The book is written by a woman who had IF and then had issues with recurrent miscarriages when she finally DID conceive. Darn, I wish I still had my copy, but it's an easy read and most all could be incorporated into a LC lifestyle, I think. You quit the obvious stuff like drinking, smoking, coffee and you add in certain foods (and it gives the science behind each food) - things like spinach, yams, soy beans, alfalfa sprouts, sunflower seeds, wheat germ and some other stuff I can't remember.

Whether it was coincidence or not, my sister and I followed the plan religiously - I was pregnant by Christmas, 2001 - my sister by March, 2002 - both pregnancies were successful and complication free and we both have gorgeous little boys who will turn 6 years old this year. My husband and I were ONE MONTH away from starting IUI cycles when I got PG.

I really FEEL the pain of those who struggle with infertility and I hope that my experience my help you and others as well.

Prayers for you both on your journey to parenthood!!!

Angie

5/26/2008 7:03 PM  
Blogger ValerieAnne said...

I would like to recommend the Brewer diet for pregnancy as a topic of conversation. Dr. Brewer saved many women from pre-eclampsia by recommending a diet high in protein and vegetables. I have his eBook and it is very interesting. There was a history of pre-eclampsia deaths in the southern U.S. amoung poor women.
I followed the diet and had no pre-eclampsia even though I weighed 300 lbs in my later months. (doctors would put that in high risk category of contracting it). There is also good info on plus-size-pregnancy.org.

5/27/2008 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home