MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Backwards Diet Is Backwards Approach To Weight Loss

And people call the Atkins, low-carb approach weird?! Did you hear about this woman who lost 172 pounds on something called "The Backwards Diet?"

The guinea pig for this "diet" is a former 292-pounder named Tricia Cunningham. She devised to so-called weight loss method to lose weight and attempt to get healthy without adhering to any particular weight loss plan such as Atkins.

"If I can do it, anyone can do it," said Cunningham. "I tipped out at a maximum weight of 292 pounds. My joints and back would hurt. Even the vehicles I drove had to be bigger, because I was bigger. I woke up one morning and looked in the mirror and said, 'this is it.'"

I think everyone who has ever been overweight or obese can relate. But what does this "diet" (and note I'm calling it a diet and not a lifestyle change) entail?

Eating a "diet" of fruits, vegetables and fish, Cunningham decided to have breakfast for supper and vice versa. Say what? Are you kidding me? Shall we call it a "low-fat diet" on acid?!

This lady's "diet" makes even Jorge Cruise's new "3 Hour Diet" make sense in comparison!

To help boost her metabolism, she eats five cloves of garlic a day and cooks salmon in orange juice for breakfast. Ewwww! She'll even mix eggs with virtually any vegetable she can find. Can you imagine a turnip green omelet? Ugh! Yucky poo!

And what, pray tell, does she drink? Can you say lemon water? Do you see where this is going? And dinner consists of oatmeal with orange-juice soaked shredded wheat. Oh, yummy! NOT!

While I applaud Cunningham for losing 170 pounds and dropping down from a size 22 to a size 1 in the time it takes to make a baby, I cannot recommend this way of eating for people. Besides the obvious unpalatable choice of foods you have to eat (mostly low-fat and low-calorie), losing weight is not about "timing" or eating a "balanced" diet. Even if you turn your meals around on a "backwards diet," it will not make you lose weight any more effectively than livin' la vida low-carb.

Even still, all you have to do is a quick Google News search to see the media falling all over themselves to herald this "diet" as something great. But people like me have had similar weight loss success on Atkins and get nary a positive mention from anybody in the media. Could the double standard be any more obvious?! We'll keep chipping away at them, though, until they finally come around to our side!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Your welcome for the FREE commercial at my blog. If you'd be interested in me writing a review for your book, Tricia, feel free to contact me at my e-mail address. CONGRATULATIONS on your success and I wish you well with your book.

7/04/2006 2:43 PM  
Blogger Eat2Live - Michele said...

What I'd like to know about this woman, is why is there only one blurry pic of her before...and it's not one that looks like a 5'8" 300 pounder.

I think she's just in it for the money...a fake.

6/28/2007 3:41 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I agree, Michele. She never sent her book to me for review. Gee, I wonder why?! :)

6/28/2007 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home