MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Study: Low-Fat Diets Make You Fatter

For people who are livin' la vida low-carb and need some reassurance that their eating lifestyle choice is the correct one, let me share with you a new study that just released regarding the important role of fat intake when it comes to weight loss.

A thorough research study conducted by the Washington University at St. Louis found that low-fat diets contribute directly to excessive fat storing in your stomach, thighs and bottom. Furthermore, people who attempt to lose weight by severely restricting their fat intake will actually cause their weight to gain because their liver needs more new fat to burn the stored fat in these areas of their body.

Is this not GREAT news?! For so many years we have been fed the lie that eating less fat is what will make us have that slender, healthy body we've always dreamed of. But this new research study proves that theory was not only wrong, but the complete opposite of what they have been telling us!

With this new evidence against the failed low-fat diets that have plagued our society for generations, isn't it time for people to wake up and see effective alternatives such as low-carb as a means for not only losing weight but keeping it off for good? I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to happen in the medical community or the media anytime soon, though. They're too set in their ways regardless of what new research comes along to debunk every myth they have ever spread to people about weight loss and health.

Researchers in the study add that consuming more dietary fat can be an effective means for burning fat and losing weight in those areas where low-fat has not worked.

Stop the presses! This research basically states that eating fat is a g-g-good thing. People, this is revolutionary! After years and years of being told we need to cut out nearly every gram of fat completely from our diets, now we're being told that wasn't the best way to lose weight. Shazam! There might be hope for solving the obesity problem in this country yet!

So take a wild guess at which weight loss program promotes the fact that you need to eat more fat as part of a healthy way to lose excessive pounds? Hmmm, I wonder what it could be? Oh yeah, IT'S LOW-CARB!!! It seems that Dr. Atkins and everyone who came after him have been right all these years about the role of fat in a successful healthy eating plan. For those of us doing the low-carb lifestyle, this is nothing new. But I do think the medical "experts" and media who have willingly spread this big fat lie about low-fat diets owe all of us low-carbers an apology. Again, don't hold your breath.

The scientists who conducted this study advocated a "balanced diet" (look at the May 3, 2005 blog entry from Jonny Bowden about this subject) and eating less food.

Nobody ever really knows what scientists and doctors mean when they advise people to eat a "balanced diet," but all I know is I get everything I need to maintain my weight just fine on the low-carb lifestyle. In fact, this study concludes that their research vindicates the low-carb lifestyle as an effective weight loss program.

However, when it comes to weight maintenance over the long-term, they conclude the "balanced diet" is the way to go because (and you're gonna love this twisted reasoning) "it's easier to maintain for long periods of time."

Uh, hello? No it's not! I lost 170 pounds doing a low-fat diet in 1999, but the reason I gained back all that weight is because I COULDN'T KEEP IT UP OVER THE LONG HAUL!!! Where do these scientists come up with such idiotic conclusions to their research?!

The researchers in the study call the Atkins approach "extreme" and believe people who are making this their lifestyle choice "could be suppressing other dietary signals important for staying healthy."

Such as? What in the world are they talking about? Dietary signals? Staying healthy?

I'll tell you what, I've never been as healthy in my entire life as I am right now. I exercise 90-120 minutes per day, I eat incredibly delicious foods, I'm breathing good, my cholesterol is way down from where it was, my blood pressure is superb and life is good.

I think if an expert of health is going to make a claim like this, they need to expand upon their comments and say what they really mean. Unfortunately, it is my contention they are merely using these kind of statements as scare tactics to prevent people from starting a healthy low-carb approach to eating. Sadly, that's the narrow-minded politics of weight loss and health that will take much more than a few studies to turn around.

The findings of this study appear in the May 10, 2005 issue of the medical journal Cell Metabolism.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger zooplah said...

I think "balanced diet" is an extension of "what's best for you." For most people, a balanced diet is the way to go. Some can live low-carb, though I'd definitely have trouble with it. Historically for me, balanced low-GI has been what I can lose weight to and what I can use to maintain it (I eat both high-carb and high-fat things in moderation, but focus on things that fill me up, digest slowly, and don't cause insulin spikes). One size doesn't fit all and some people might not be able to live like that.

10/15/2007 4:11 AM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

Hmmmm, I've never thought about a "balanced diet" having anything to do with "what's best for you." If so, then GREAT! Unfortunately, when you mention the most "balanced" diet macronutrient-wise to the "experts" (The Zone which has a carbohydrate-fat-protein ratio of 40-30-30), it gets blasted as being unhealthy and UNbalanced. There is a very clear agenda and a low-fat, low-calorie, portion control diet is the template.

I agree one size doesn't fit all, but that's not the thinking of those who put out health recommendations.

10/15/2007 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home