MOVED TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS TO LIVINLAVIDALOWCARB.COM/BLOG

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Is Low-Carb Just Your Diet Or Is It Now Your Personal Mission?

Earlier this year I told you about a brand new obesity documentary from a filmmaker named C.J. Hunt who is In Search Of The Perfect Human Diet. He's traveling all across the country meeting with some of the most prominent researchers, doctors, nutritionists, and health experts to figure out the answer to that rather daunting undertaking.

But now C.J. Hunt wants to hear from arguably the most well-informed, enthusiastic, and compelling experts yet--YOU!

That's right, he believes that the bread (low-carb, of course!) and butter of his documentary will come from the REAL LIFE stories and examples of REAL people who have made livin' la vida low-carb their permanent and healthy way to eat. You, me, and everyone who has implemented a controlled-carb, nutrient-dense lifestyle change can help shape the direction of this movie, so keep reading to find out how.

Here's a question that I want you to think about:

Is low-carb just your diet or is it now your personal mission?

In other words, are you actively involved in sharing the low-carb lifestyle with those people in your sphere of influence? Have you committed yourself to giving back to others--paying it forward, as such--for the tremendous benefits you have received from livin' la vida low-carb?

For me personally, I think most of you know the answer to that question. It is INDEED my personally mission to help educate, encourage, and inspire others to begin their own journey on the low-carb lifestyle for the sake of their weight and health. That's why I created so many different avenues for sharing that message, including through my blog, book, podcast, YouTube videos, and my new forum.

With such a miraculous and radical turnaround in my weight and health because of this healthy nutritional approach, I can't help but shout it from the mountaintops and continue to carry on the torch that the late great Dr. Robert C. Atkins started some three decades ago. And I'm not alone either with literally a new low-carber popping up seemingly every minute of every day. Look at all the blogs and web sites!!!

What about YOU, though? Is low-carb just a personal dieting tool to you? Or has it become something bigger than a simple diet plan to you? If you believe livin' la vida low-carb is something special that merits an investment of your time, energy, and resources, then what kinds of actions are you doing to try to advance it?

Perhaps you know low-carb is the way that most people should be eating to manage their weight and health since obesity and diabetes have gotten completely out of control in this world of low-fat, low-calorie, portion controlled diets, but you just don't have the time nor do you care to get involved in actively promoting low-carb in the mainstream. Why is that and what is REALLY holding you back?

I know I'm getting a little deep and somewhat personal here, but this is something C.J. is sincerely interested in as an angle for his film and he will be monitoring your responses in the comments section below.

I'll assume since you visit my blog that you have some inkling of a vested interest in seeing the low-carb message actively promoted (after all, it's what I try to do on a daily basis and have been for the past 2 1/2 years). So, if you already are or could be involved in furthering the mission, then how would you do it?

How much time do you devote to sharing low-carb with others? Do you have any special talents that could be used to market the low-carb message? What about tapping into some personal contacts who could help in this effort within your sphere of influence? Finally, are you actively supporting through financial contributions those who are on the front lines of communicating the low-carb agenda?

This is a lot to take in, but it all leads to this question:

How can we all collaborate our efforts into one?

It's the big picture focus and one that I've thought about quite a bit since I began blogging here in early 2005. One of the reasons I got involved so actively was because the pro-low-carb voice was being quashed and its active defenders were few and far between.

After Dr. Atkins died, it was as if all the most ardent supporters went into hiding. What's up with that? Be bold, be strong, and trust that you have the right message for such a time as this. I've personally seen a turnaround in my life because of the Atkins diet and I'll be danged if anyone dares to tell me I can't talk about it!

Get excited and motivated because that revolution that began so many years ago is headed for a fresh new revival in a big way. With the new Gary Taubes book coming out next Tuesday and some truly remarkable research about the healthiness of saturated fat coming very soon, the positive message of livin' la vida low-carb is primed for public consumption. That's something C.J. Hunt is attempting to tap into.

One final thought about In Search Of The Perfect Human Diet is this question:

How do you think this film can help you?

If you could communicate ANYTHING in this documentary about the low-carb life, then what would you want the message to be? How do you think a film like this could or should influence the public's perception of livin' la vida low-carb and of the importance of eating in the way we have evolved to eat?

I realize I've just plopped enough questions in your lap that many of you could write a dissertation about it. But this is YOUR chance to make an impression on a movie that could be a part of the driving force to share the genuine low-carb lifestyle to an audience of people who have probably never heard it before.

Submit your comments below or you can e-mail the filmmaker C.J. Hunt directly at cjhunt3@perfecthumandiet.com. This oughta be REALLY good! I can't wait to read what you have to share.

By the way, you can invest in this upcoming documentary if you believe in the mission of what C.J. is trying to accomplish with it by becoming a Film Angel. You can even sign up NOW to get on the DVD Mailing List which you will want to do since EVERYONE who is reading this will want a copy of this movie to share with their friends and family, right? :D

THANK YOU for getting involved and feel free to get as detailed as you would like in your responses. Feel free to take a few days to think about this if you'd like, but something tells me most of you are already locked and loaded on this one!

9-21-07 UPDATE: Well, not everyone is happy with my assertion that people like me are carrying on the torch of the late great Dr. Robert C. Atkins because there were defenders of low-carb living PRIOR to him. Here's what was shared in an e-mail:

Err, Jimmy - given what you yourself have posted about the work of William Banting, amongst others - could we please stop the Atkins Deification? I grant you he popularised it LATELY - but he was hardly the first. Or best.

No offense intended, but it's grating, to me, at least, and it makes it hard to take the rest of your posts seriously...


I've never stated that Dr. Atkins was the first or the best defender of livin' la vida low-carb (and I've not deified, only admired the man for his great work). But you have to admit he is the most famous name associated with this way of eating. Plus, I lost my weight and improved my health on the ATKINS diet, so naturally I'm going to give credit to him for MY experience.

Here was my e-mail response:

THANKS for your opinion, but most people are more aware of Dr. Atkins than they are William Banting. But I agree with you that livin' la vida low-carb goes back much further. And even further than Banting, too. THANKS for reading!

If this kinda petty thing irritates somebody that they think it is "hard to take the rest of your posts seriously," then I have questions about their commitment to the message of livin' la vida low-carb in the first place. But that's just me!

I appreciate all the responses so far, so keep 'em coming! :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy,
I say this to myself every single day as I contemplate what to eat,"if you want to live a long and healthy life, then don't ever eat another carb."

I know I write about dieting issues and often choose a humorous route to express my feelings of deprivation, concern about health, physical changes, and just the flat out struggle of living in a country that seems totally resistant to the idea that refined carbohydrates are killing us slowly, but the issue really isn't funny--it's dead serious.
And that's why I write about the pain of my experiences, past and current, to show the struggle and God willing, the reward.
Adam

9/20/2007 11:19 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

And you are using those AMAZING writing talents of yours (as twisted as they might be! *wink*) to spread the positive message. I'm honored to know you, Adam, and appreciate all of your efforts to share the livin' la vida low-carb message with the world.

Anyone else?

9/20/2007 11:33 PM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

Jimmy, I think this is a great and worthy cause, and I definitely will support it. In fact, I think we (all people reading your blog - and I know for a fact that there are many scientists and researchers among them!) all should consider this a call to arms and support this movie.

I wish to be understood literally here. This is it, people. I really believe that this is the movie that could bring about the Change, the paradigm shift that is so sorely needed - provided that enough people are exposed to it. WE all can help with that. And YOU, Jimmy, certainly should be in this movie. I definitely will email CJ and share my story, and also tell him to get a crew together ASAP and interview you on the big screen. Heck, you have movie-experience already :)

EVERYBODY here should do the same - email CJ and sponsor this landmark movie as well. If only out of respect for the late great dr. Robert C. Atkins and the truly fantastic work that Jimmy is doing (and has been doing for years now!) we all should contact CJ and support this effort in every way we can.

Together with all the new, wonderful scientific research and evidence coming out, Taubes book, Colpo's masterpiece, and Jimmy's efforts, all of this may very well turn out to become the 200,000 ton battleship that will blow the dietary delusions and lies out of the water, for once and for all - and win the battle against obesity and diabetes!

Are you sick and tired of the lies and deceptions? I am! And therefore I say: TO ARMS! This is our chance, YOUR chance, to really make a difference, to influence history, and Change the world for the better!

9/21/2007 12:24 AM  
Blogger Science4u1959 said...

This is what I wrote, and in my not-so-humble opinion we ALL should do something similar! Contact and support this person!

----

Dear mr. Hunt,

Over a decade ago, I lost nearly 240 pounds on a high-fat, high-protein low-carb diet. Needless to say, that diet quite literally saved my life. I am 48 now, and never have been more healthy and happy in my life. I used the then (and, unfortunately, now still) very controversial Atkins diet. I still follow the maintenance phase of that diet - with great success and tremendous health benefits. I have seen this diet do literal miracles for countless others too, including full-blown diabetics and severe heart-disease patients.

With literal mountains and mountains of scientific evidence vindicating the life's work of dr. Robert C. Atkins, and more and more new and existing research confirming this dietary regimen, it's complete and utter madness that most of the "paleolithic" dietary approaches are still rediculed, ignored or even deliberately distorted in mainstream media and by self-proclaimed health "experts".

We never met, Sir, but I want you to know that I have the deepest respect and enthusiasm for this fantastic effort. It's something that is sorely needed in this (dietary) world full of -often Government sponsored- deceptions, delusions and outright lies. I will most definately sponsor your effort, with rather modest means, perhaps, but I would love to do what I can to help. And I will encourage as much others as I can to do the same. This is a very worthy cause and I applaud it. My hat off to you, sir.

I was pointed to this website and email address through the blog of a very special person, and I am honored to be able to call him my friend. His name is Jimmy Moore, from the US, and he has a extremely succesful blog called livinlavida lowcarb. I'm quite sure you are familiar with it. My point is, however, that HE is THE person that you definitely should interview for your movie/documentary. He is not only a 200+ pound low-carb weight loss success himself, but he's extremely knowledgeable in the field as well, mainly from experience, self-study, and from years of consulting and interviewing (real) experts. He is not only a very nice person but a true inspiring personality to include in this documentary. I highly recommend it.

Sir, please let me know how I can help and what I can do. I am looking forward to hear from you. And again, my deepest respect, and best wishes, with this wonderful, timely, and caring effort.

Warm regards from Asia,
*****

----

Come on, guys! Let's get this show on the road... quite literally!

9/21/2007 1:21 AM  
Blogger Christin said...

Hey Jimmy,

Thanks so much for this blog and getting the word out about the Low Carb way of life! I plan to write to C.J. w/ my experience and excitement of spreading the word about this lifestyle. I have lots of underlying projects that I'm working on to further this mission! I agree w/ Adam that this is a serious issue that the more we get the word out about how the white carb industry is slowly but surely killing the public, the better. I'm loving working with you. Thanks again for all your support and encouragement.

Christin

9/21/2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger Pot Kettle Black said...

Hey Jimmy,

Diet/Personal Mission:
The first time I did Atkins in 2002, it became a personal mission. I was evangelical. I maybe saved my dad from a life of diabetes complications, and helped him find the way to 2/3rds of a six pack without working out (if he'd just do some ab work, the bottom 3rd would pop). I also pissed off my gf of the time, my roommate, and a few friends. Not that I was doing it, but that I was so militant/committed/evangelical about it.

Now, it's a Way of Eating. Since I'm a foodie, that might even be a way of life. On the mission front, people notice my weight loss (or I point it out to them with my 55lbs heavier ID badge), and I will tell them how I'm doing it. I will share the book (PPLP/PP). And I'll talk about my success.

For people who are in the choir, I have other talents that are maybe for another question.

Combined efforts:
Well, you need two people, full time, bare minimum. You need a big vision person. The face of the organization and the architect of the vision and direction of the organization. That was Atkins for a while, but he, for all his good work, tended to piss people off (read Mike Eades on the late Dr. Atkins). So, it's gotta be someone that doesn't piss people off. I'm out. Second, you need a detail person. This IS NOT the vision person. The skills aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but it's hard to keep focus at 100,000 miles and 1 inch simultaneously. This person takes the vision, makes it into tangible actions, and mobilizes the forces. That's the bare bones of the organization. It can grow, but you want to keep overhead tight.

As to what to do: Fund studies. Write papers. Lobby government. Collect resources. Apply them to advocacy determined to counter all the low fat punditry out there with facts and slick soundbytes. I'm thinking the Heritage foundation (love em or hate em) is a good model.

Ultimately, you need something to hang it all around. More than idea, you need a commonality of place or vision. Usually, that's a person or an organization.

Hopes for the film:
None. DVD distribution is a great way to preach to the choir. Without a major distribution, you're not gonna move anyone. Even with a distribution deal through Focus features for example (leading distro for docs), what's the last doc you saw? Take out Michael Moore and Supersize Me. Then what? March of the Penguins? I've just dumped what's probably the 5 highest grossing docs of all time (Farenheit, Bowling, March, Sicko, and Supersize). Next? Madonna's Truth or Dare. If people aren't flocking to see Why We Fight, the best doc on Iraq, or Jesus Camp, a scary doc on extreme evangelist kids, the bar is pretty low for impact here. Sorry. Truth hits everybody.

I'm gonna add something. Low Carb has made me, at times, something of a conspiracy theorist. In my more lucid moments, I think of the big agra-pharma alliance as two groups seeking high profits in a system that rewards money today. In my less clear times, I think of nefarious, evil processed food types working with drug manufacturers who are still pissed about curing polio instead of medicating it. The economics make sense either way. Occam's Razor suggests that the non-conspiracy theory is the right one.

9/21/2007 9:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If we follow the logic of the guy I quote below we'll have to hire those actors from the Geico Caveman commercials to represent low carb. After all, cavemen were the first low carbers - not Atkins and not Banting. LOL.

Hope Christine is recovering nicely and feeling better.

9/21/2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

THANKS, Carol! Appreciate your perspective as always.

Yes, Christine is recovering from her endometriosis surgery and is even signed up at my forum now.

9/21/2007 12:10 PM  
Blogger Orvette said...

Pot,

I loved your post! I don't want to be preached at, and I'm certain I'm not alone there. However, I love finding a resource like Jimmy's website to connect to great information. Great chefs like George Stella also provide help with recipes for those who are just learning to cook low-carb. These are not insignificant measures -- we just need more of them!

With online resources like these, people on the fence can be anonymous and secretly gather information that might sway them without feeling like they're being "sold" on something.

Jimmy is doing great work, and if there is something we can do to support his efforts, sign me up! After reading Jimmy's blog and your post, I do feel challenged to become a better personal example of low-carb success, and I'm going to make an effort to seek out more documentaries! ;)

9/21/2007 12:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh brother!!!! and Whatever!!!! Of course it is appropriate that you would focus on Dr. Atkins, it was his plan that you used to change your life. Jimmy, you just keep doing what you do best. :)

-soon2bslim

9/21/2007 1:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll blab on about low carb to anyone who'll listen, trouble is, NOBODY wants to listen. They either don't care or they "know" better.

It's a shame, because I know lots of people who could really benefit, but they won't even consider it.

All I can do is just openly set an example. People that have known me for the past five years do at least notice that I've kept my weight off all this time, which is something that no one I know personally has done on any other diet.

9/21/2007 2:31 PM  
Blogger Jimmy Moore said...

I agree, Mr. Fritz! The longer I've kept the weight off, the more people want to know what I am REALLY doing to maintain. When I say low-carb, it's as if they are dumbfounded. What's so hard to understand people?

9/21/2007 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the original topic....

Low Carb for me is just a tool that I use intermittently. I recognize its usefulness, but I have not found a need to keep it as an all the time lifestyle. I lost over 50 lbs two years ago doing a 6 days on, one day off low carb cycle. I've kept it off by cycling in a couple of low carb weeks once every 2-3 months.

9/22/2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger renegadediabetic said...

Jimmy, you've blogged about my story of sharing my LC WOE with my weight loss group at work. They are doing WW unofficially, but accept me in the group. I have also done a topic on hidden sugar for the group. A couple of weeks ago, a lady said she didn't care about the sugar in food, just the fat. I plan to prepare a topic on sugar, and especially HFCS, which they often use to replace fat, for some future meeting when they need a topic. I don't think it's good to be pushy, but just gently educate folks.

My biggest challenge is my family. Everyone else needs to lose weight. The eat the LC food I fix, but get extras. That is where I need to concentrate most of my efforts. I'd like to be a blogger like you, but family matters take too much time right now. I am doing what I can to spread the LC news when people ask me how I'm doing it.

9/22/2007 5:23 PM  
Blogger Kevin M. said...

This is a very good and important question, Jimmy, don't hesitate to ask it.

As John Lennon said, "we all doin' what we can"...Unfortunately, I dont have the money to donate to anyone more than a few paltry bucks.

I think the best I can do is to write - reply to LC-bashing stories online with solid information and resources, so I am very glad you provide these links. Spread information everywhere and fight the rampant disinformation. This is free, except for the time and concentration it takes. But it is a way of service to the greater community. As they say, if you convince even one person, you have made a difference in the world.

I too made some enemies in the early days - people don't want to hear what will literally save their lives, its a perverse human trait, I can only pity them and pray. It's not malicious, just ignorance, they are pawns of the system.

10/02/2007 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home